• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Petition: Keep Ethanol-Free Gas Available

Astrin

gentleman rider
Well, now that my site pure-gas.org has been getting a lot of traffic (and just went over 2000 listed stations), folks have been asking for a petition to the EPA, asking them to rewrite the federal mandate to guarantee that ethanol-free premium remain available.

So, if you'd like to chime in, here's the petition:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/keep-pure-gas/

I set a goal of 5,000 signatures, but I may crank that up if folks keep signing at the current rate. It's gone to nearly 500 in just a few days. It'd be nice to hand the EPA something really comprehensive, signed by car, boat, motorcycle, airplane and small engine enthusiasts.

Tell your friends! Thanks!

I signed the petition but have already mourned the good gasoline era's passing.

The lobbyists have won. Now they are working towards 15% alcohol. The best we can hope for is holding it down to 10% or a worldwide corn shortage.

The lobbyists have won. Now they are working towards 15% alcohol. The best we can hope for is holding it down to 10% or a worldwide corn shortage.

Actually, E15 is "D.O.A." for a number of reasons. For details, take a look at Dean Billings' site:

http://e0pc.com/

The refiners will never buy into it, with all the liability and other issues.

But E10 will become omnipresent without some sort of legal requirement for pure gas, for sure.

The goal of the petition is not to take on ethanol, but to simply raise awareness at the EPA that ethanol-free gasoline is a critical fuel for many, many machines currently operating in the U.S.A. I think the strongest argument comes from the small aircraft pilots, but it helps to have everyone, like us, chime in.

Actually, E15 is "D.O.A." for a number of reasons. For details, take a look at Dean Billings' site:

http://e0pc.com/

The refiners will never buy into it, with all the liability and other issues.

But E10 will become omnipresent without some sort of legal requirement for pure gas, for sure.

The goal of the petition is not to take on ethanol, but to simply raise awareness at the EPA that ethanol-free gasoline is a critical fuel for many, many machines currently operating in the U.S.A. I think the strongest argument comes from the small aircraft pilots, but it helps to have everyone, like us, chime in.

Hmm, no doubt that is a totally unbiased site!

To quote Daniel Patrick Moynihan ÔÇ£Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.ÔÇØ

And yet the fact remains, Brazil has made the transition to E85 quite nicely thus proving it can be done. Honda even has come out with an E85 motorcycle. But those no doubt are incontinent facts. Like it or not our choice of fuel will have to change, simple economics if nothing else, the days of our being able to rely on a single source of energy is nearing the end, period.

RM

Great petition, I've added it my forums and also my Facebook page.

Hmm, no doubt that is a totally unbiased site!

To quote Daniel Patrick Moynihan ÔÇ£Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.ÔÇØ

And yet the fact remains, Brazil has made the transition to E85 quite nicely thus proving it can be done. Honda even has come out with an E85 motorcycle. But those no doubt are incontinent facts. Like it or not our choice of fuel will have to change, simple economics if nothing else, the days of our being able to rely on a single source of energy is nearing the end, period.

RM

Dean Billing doesn't claim for a second to be unbiased, he's a very vocal advocate for the availability of pure gas, in his case, for his aviation hobby.

The success of ethanol in Brazil is truly impressive, and one can ride flex-fuel motorcycles there as well as cars. In 1980, when they launched their ethanol program, Brazil didn't have the huge infrastructure of machinery that requires pure gas that we have. I'm not anti-ethanol per se, but I think it does have very questionable benefit considering the land use, fuel consumption in production and transportation, and other issues. I fuel my car with E10, so I'm no purist.

The pure-gas petition is simply to "raise awareness" at the EPA of a very significant need for pure gasoline in the existing "fleet" of light aircraft, older cars and motorcycles, boat engines, and other things. It's not anti-E10, it's just pro-E0. If we had just one standalone pure-gas premium pump at stations, like we often have with diesel, that'd be great.

Astrin,

I don't think the EPA gives a schmitt whether you need pure fuel for your whatever.
Their agenda is strictly idealogical.

They didn't care about the havoc they caused by melting fuel lines, gaskets, ect. & causing extensive repairs on the public's cars when they introduced it did they?

And don't forget the Ethanol in Brasil is made from Sorgum, which requires much less energy to extract, burns cleaner, and produces a lot more power. The moonshine crap we are saddled with here comes from the Corn Lobby. We are stuck with it not for pollution, but because the Corn Lobby bought and paid the politicians to make sure we suffer their crap in our tanks.

And what choice do we the tax paying people have in this?

None.

The freedom we have here in America belongs to the corporations, the special interest groups and their puppets in Washington, not us.

Dean Billing doesn't claim for a second to be unbiased, he's a very vocal advocate for the availability of pure gas, in his case, for his aviation hobby.

The success of ethanol in Brazil is truly impressive, and one can ride flex-fuel motorcycles there as well as cars. In 1980, when they launched their ethanol program, Brazil didn't have the huge infrastructure of machinery that requires pure gas that we have. I'm not anti-ethanol per se, but I think it does have very questionable benefit considering the land use, fuel consumption in production and transportation, and other issues. I fuel my car with E10, so I'm no purist.

The pure-gas petition is simply to "raise awareness" at the EPA of a very significant need for pure gasoline in the existing "fleet" of light aircraft, older cars and motorcycles, boat engines, and other things. It's not anti-E10, it's just pro-E0. If we had just one standalone pure-gas premium pump at stations, like we often have with diesel, that'd be great.

OK, thanks, I can accept that.

RM

Last edited:

I did that when they introduced unleaded gas way back...my hot rod engines in my cars and my boat were not pleased. I used high octane AvGas for a few years as an alternative.

I signed, just think positive ...again

And don't forget the Ethanol in Brasil is made from Sorgum, which requires much less energy to extract, burns cleaner, and produces a lot more power. The moonshine crap we are saddled with here comes from the Corn Lobby. We are stuck with it not for pollution, but because the Corn Lobby bought and paid the politicians to make sure we suffer their crap in our tanks.

And what choice do we the tax paying people have in this?

None.

The freedom we have here in America belongs to the corporations, the special interest groups and their puppets in Washington, not us.

Sugars are sugars......Ethanol is ethanol. However, I do agree that Monsanto corn is darn expensive product for making fuel. But in the US, corn is our sugar crop.

When we start importing cheaper ethanol watch what happens to the corn based plants.
:sick

Have you looked at the world price of sugar vs the US price? That's a big reason why all the candy manufacturers went off-shore. Corn production costs and prices will be supported to whatever level is required for ADM and Cargill.

Back