• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pavement paranoia!

If I actually believed half of what I read on this thread I would sell all my bikes, buy a big dually diesel with a moose guard on the front and a reinforced I-beam for a back bumper. Then I would only drive between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm and never on Sunday.

But I don't so I won't.

Yes, but unlike much of what is being posted on this thread, the truck could be useful (fun too).

Yes, but unlike much of what is being posted on this thread, the truck could be useful (fun too).

Trucks are useful, but I've never really had fun in a truck.

OK, there was the time the cornstalk poked thru the floor boards on Dad's 1965 F250. But, she was still moving, so I wasn't going to waste the momentum and traction. The damage assessment was done when I got to pavement.

BTW - relative to the R1250RS wind noise posting on this thread.......I suppose you can ride that bike without earplugs, there's no way I would. It's a great handling and riding bike, but the shield is nothing impressive.

Last edited:
Trucks are useful, but I've never really had fun in a truck.

OK, there was the time the cornstalk poked thru the floor boards on Dad's 1965 F250. But, she was still moving, so I wasn't going to waste the momentum and traction. The damage assessment was done when I got to pavement.

BTW - relative to the R1250RS wind noise posting on this thread.......I suppose you can ride that bike without earplugs, there's no way I would. It's a great handling and riding bike, but the shield is nothing impressive.

I’m guessing you didn’t have a truck when you were a teenager......

I’m guessing you didn’t have a truck when you were a teenager......

The cornstalk episode occurred in 1976 when I was 16. I learned to drive in a 66 Buick Wildcat and a 1965 Ford F250. The Ford had the old 300ci straight six with a 4-speed. Top speed was, perhaps, 65-mph and shift lever was about 3-ft long, but it got about 15mpg.

Last edited:

Just jumped in and I have NO IDEA what this thread is about...Be that as it may, RE: alcohol related injuries In many states the legal limit has been so ridiculously lowered that it's stupid low- I say this as a teetotaler non-drinker- well aware of the havoc alcohol can cause.So to call an incident occurring where anyone is BELOW the legal limit an "alcohol related incident" is as valid as calling it a coffee related incident or a footwear wearing incident or a powerbar related incident- gimme a break.
Arguably, alcohol at these levels is a stimulant resulting in increased awareness. (I did say "arguably"!)

Thanks for all the reading info wildbears and the conversation starters. Seems the forum may be more active this Spring due to circumstances.

My first impression of the thread title was Gloom-n-Doom as I don’t approach life that way. As many here, I have logged more safe and enjoyable miles than sky is falling worry. If one practices situational awareness and a touch less overthinking and worry, the ride almost always follows that path.
Of course I have had moments, but being honest, most are self caused doing dumb things.

My last three solo multi week trips offered up no major drama or need to take evasive maneuvers even in high traffic areas that I can recall. Yes, I see weaving cars and change my position accordingly and an occasional hand gesture... totally dependent on situations again. Are they texting, drinking,toking...
don’t care as out of my control and don’t need their behavior to mess with my day. I have been that person at some point in my life, so can’t judge. I recall when drinking openly in a vehicle wasn’t considered odd.

On buffeting... my take is if I feel a whomp-whomp in my helmet and feel my head fighting to stay on my shoulders, may need to adjust something. Have shortened screens, added a lip on others to tune it for me. When I ride one of H’s for any distance I change what I can and just ride. My naked bikes do fine but I don’t travel on them far so the weather isn’t so big an issue. Have ridden Wings,LT’s, Harleys, and a Victory Vision... looking through the screen doesn’t work for me personally anymore but don’t turn down the ride.

Be careful out there but try not to talk yourself out of the ride:wave

Situational awareness 101: Out for a short day ride yesterday on the road between our house and Study Butte. I came up behind a semi dump trailer going just below the speed limit. I could smell the odor of burning rubber but no tires were flopping yet. Instead of passing I just dropped way back and plodded along at his speed. I didn't want to even get close enough to pass him. It probably delayed my arrival in Study Butte by at least a minute or two.

The Snell Foundation maintains a very nice archive of documents relative to its development of testing procedures. You can read info from the source or some journalists summary. Keep in mind, the journalist is relaying what he thinks he's hearing from the technical person. As a result, the interpretation and the actual may be different.

I recommend the source.

Snell: https://www.smf.org/documents

Helmet Safety

My current helmet is a Shoei RF1200.

This is my fourth iteration of this model and they keep getting better.

It will be interesting to see how it fares with the new European testing standards.

However, if satisfactory for rotational injury protection and as I just purchased it, a safer helmet may have to wait awhile.

I also wonder if Shoei and Arai will introduce new models at the last minute to submit for the new testing standards?

If you read the documents on the Snell Foundation website; specifically, the discussion about M2020D and M2020R test certifications you might find a clue.

Some still think the earth is flat.

Ya know, you can stand in front of the library and point inside when someone asks a question. If they refuse to enter the library and research the topic, that's their problem. But, when they continue asking the same question at each street corner, it isn't a sign of stability or knowledge..............

Hand Signals

This Fall while driving in the Deal’s Gap area there was a close call involving 3 BMW GSs.

This happened on 28 coming back from Fontana Lake.

We were on a very twisty section of road with no pull offs.

First bike successfully passes on a blind curve but could have been taken out by oncoming traffic.

He's up ahead approaching another left hand blind turn and sticks his arm straight out to indicate a car is coming around the curve.

The second rider takes this as an all clear signal and starts to pass.

We quickly move towards the shoulder as it's clear if we don't the 2nd rider will be taken out in a head on.

There's no berm to move onto.

So he's right next to us, sharing the lane with our van at 50 mph, as the oncoming car passes.

It was that close!

Idiots and if members MOA idiots. Been on those roads enough times to know to not even think about a pass on a very slow posted road due to LEO presence and especially in a blind curve.

As far as signals...also a fail as the extended arm horizontally in my world means clear. Unless I know the habits and skills of person behind me, I rarely make that call for them as I sure would feel pretty bad if bad things happened.
Glad it didn’t end badly.

Helmet Safety

Does Snell testing data reflect rotational forces likely in a crash?

Or are the Snell testing parameters insufficient?

Some feel the jury is still out on this.

We buy helmets from some of the bigger names and don’t spend a lot of time,none really, on reading test data. Maybe because we can ride yearlong and don’t have down time and maybe we don’t worry about it.

Testing good but so many variables out in the real world that can affect the static results of a lab.YRMV

We buy helmets from some of the bigger names and don’t spend a lot of time,none really, on reading test data. Maybe because we can ride yearlong and don’t have down time and maybe we don’t worry about it.

Testing good but so many variables out in the real world that can affect the static results of a lab.YRMV

The Snell Foundation website has a good deal of discussion on the new M2020R and M2020D test procedures and the topic of rotational (torsional) load tests. They also communicate with the UNECE. While the individual organizations have their own protocols, they appear to work in a collaborative manner.

The Snell Foundation website has a good deal of discussion on the new M2020R and M2020D test procedures and the topic of rotational (torsional) load tests. They also communicate with the UNECE. While the individual organizations have their own protocols, they appear to work in a collaborative manner.

Kudos to Snell and UNECE. I doubt that much of anybody related to the DOT standard does much coordination with anybody at all. I can't say the DOT standard is meaningless. There are lots of helmets (maybe I should say beanie lids) out there that won't meet it: thus the need for fake DOT stickers at your favorite Sturgis vendor.

I look for the ECE approval. I think it is the most meaningful. YMMV

Back