• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pavement paranoia!

I make no signs riding or driving a vehicle. A simple thumbs up could be misinterpreted. Few months back the common OK sign had been transmorphed into meaning something evil, by someone or some group. I wave to other riders but that's about it. No beeping either. The horn can infuriate the wrong driver. Strange times.

These gestures can be used to indicate to drivers that you apologize for a dumb move you just did on your motorcycle.

These are not "official" motorcycle to motorcycle hand signals but could be used if you "offend" another motorcyclist.

Got a link where you found this information?

If one reads the MIPS info, the intent is to allow 10-15mm (0.4 to 0.6") of rotation between the comfort (i.e. soft) padding and the EPS (Styrofoam) liner. The outer fiberglass/Carbon Fiber/Polycarbonate shell distributes the energy and prevents penetration. The EPS liner absorbs the energy. The comfort liner, is just that.....a compliant structure that deforms to the head shape.

In my experience, the comfort liner in an economy helmet is pretty thin and makes head shape selection critical to eliminate pressure points (i.e., hot spots). In upper end helmets, the comfort liner is much thicker, avoids pressure points and, thus, provides some compliance between the riders head and the EPS liner / exterior shell. As such, a high grade comfort liner appears to provide the function of the MIPS mechanism.

147 replies | 5638 view(s)

:thumb

Yet no damned answer to my question asked twice, now I'll ask one more time, got a link to that post?

And why are you ignoring the request for a link to the information you provided to begin with. It's suspiciously absent a response/link. :scratch

Road Hazards - Grass Clippings

Grass clippings in road can be deadly for motorcyclists
https://www.cbs17.com/news/check-th...tuMfiOPjb7JBN0OVT87v4yFayYKCe8VxAU3HzUO2upTb4

I see how this might be a big issue in the dark, at night. But in daylight sufficient grass to cause the upset of a motorcycle would be plainly and easily visible unless a rider is outriding their sight distance. While I agree it can be a hazard it is easy to mitigate by slowing down and taking a straight line through the thinnest area of the grass. We see some clippings on the road here in Texas whenever the DOT has mowed the shoulders but they are usually very easy to avoid. Much moreso than mud tracked onto the highway or sand from an arroyo after a rain. Situational awareness does matter.

Road Hazards - Grass Clippings

Grass clippings in road can be deadly for motorcyclists
https://www.cbs17.com/news/check-th...tuMfiOPjb7JBN0OVT87v4yFayYKCe8VxAU3HzUO2upTb4

In theory, a significant quantity of wet clippings on a wet road may reduce traction, much like leaves in the fall. However, the clippings that will result from the average homeowner mowing their lawn in the middle of the day.......that's near zero on my list of concerns.

But, I could be wrong. I was raised in a farming area, learned to ride in the fields and frequently encounter farming road debris on my rides in rural PA.

In my opinion, grass clipping death traps are just another reason why sunbelt suburbanites need 4WD Crew Cab 1-ton pick-ups for grocery store runs. It's scary out there.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a friend that crashed his Goldwing in a corner. He hit some loose gravel. I told him he was going to fast for conditions, he claimed the gravel should not have been there. I tried to explain you need to be prepared for things like loose gravel to suddenly come up. He still argued it shouldn't have been there.

No helping some people.

Grass in the road? Just avoid it, slow down, don't do anything crazy and you will be alright.

Helmet Safety, MIPS vs. Old School

Arai’s approach to why Arai doesn't use MIPS (unofficial information from a company rep):

Arai believes their helmets perform better than other brands because of the shape design.

Since an Arai is round (ie, smooth exterior contour), the wearer's head will be less likely to be subjected to rotational impacts in the first place. So the need to reduce the effect of rotational impacts is not needed.

Arai also feels the physical structure of the elastomers, inside the next generation of helmets, create hard points that reduce the impact absorption of the shell.

Some of your posts include links to the information you're disseminating here, others do not. I'd appreciate it if you'd include links to some of the claims you're making, including the link I've asked for in this thread 3 times. Without a link to the source of information, no one can decide whether to take your information at face value as facts vs opinion/s. :dunno

Pilgrimage for Clean Air

The Indian Chief Vintage is no longer a clean air champ.

We're at Daytona this week and riding a number of bikes.

We rode the Indian Chief Vintage at Sturgis when it was first introduced.

At that time, it had a 30 degree rake and windscreen angle.

Yesterday I test road the new version with a 27 degree rake.

Why the change?

According to the Indian rep, this was to give the bike more responsive handling.

The front end is now the same as the Springfield model.

(And the back end now uses the same suspension as the Chieftain.)

Having previously test ridden the Springfield I knew the windscreen attitude change made for increased wind noise and buffeting before even setting out.

This was the case.

In a previous post, the Vintage was touted as having very smooth air.

At 70 mph on the expressway with semi's passing us, we could converse without raising our voices.

Sadly that era has passed for the Vintage.

That's pretty trick. With a helmet on and standing still, I have to raise my voice for some other helmeted rider to hear me.

Moto Touring Hazards

Putting the China epidemic in perspective:

The percent of the Chinese infected was 0.006%.

The percent of fatalities of the total population was 0.00014%.

This doesn't change the risk of being infected, especially if over age 80 or with significant pre-existing health issues.

Based on your numbers, 0.00014 / 0.006 = 0.0233 or 2.33% mortality rate

Regular flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%

2.33 / 0.1 = 23.3

So, in perspective, COVID-19 is 23.3-times more likely to kill you than regular flu. Of course, COVID-19 seems to target the over 60 and immune system compromised segments of our population.

Just some "perspective".

Moto Touring Hazards

Putting the China epidemic in perspective:

The percent of the Chinese infected was 0.006%.

The percent of fatalities of the total population was 0.00014%.

This doesn't change the risk of being infected, especially if over age 80 or with significant pre-existing health issues.

As of today, COVID-19 has claimed 1809 lives in Italy, a country of 60.5 million people with more hospital beds per capita than the USA. The current COVID-19 mortality for Italy stands at 0.003% of the total population. That's 21.4-times higher than the Chinese statistic.

Perspective.......

Riding Technique

You may be a good rider if:

You rarely experience close calls.

It's not in my control how cagers act on the road, close calls are always just around the corner

You have good visual habits.

See first bolded, it's not indicative of a riders skills

You rarely have pucker moments when cornering.

see first bolded

You are an expert a reading the road.

Experts are rarely encountered on the road

You have had professional training.

You ride smart.

Care to elaborate?

You understand the risks.

You accept the risks.

You have fun while also being safe.

Full article @: https://www.ridinginthezone.com/10-ways-to-tell-if-you-are-a-good-rider/

see bolded

Seems to me that riders don't get the point that many if not all close calls and pucker moments can be avoided by anticipating traffic.
Most times when I deal with close calls I am riding like an idiot.

Seems to me that riders don't get the point that many if not all close calls and pucker moments can be avoided by anticipating traffic.
Most times when I deal with close calls I am riding like an idiot.

The pucker moments aren't necessarily from not anticipating traffic, the texters will kill you without warning out there today.

If I actually believed half of what I read on this thread I would sell all my bikes, buy a big dually diesel with a moose guard on the front and a reinforced I-beam for a back bumper. Then I would only drive between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm and never on Sunday.

But I don't so I won't.

Back