• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Painting / Repairing saddlebag lid

KevinRT

KevinRT
I had an unfortunate incident on the weekend when my right saddlebag came open at speed. I was passing six or seven cars when it happened and the back end of the bike gently but noticeably swung side to side. My first thought was a flat rear tire but after pulling over I discovered the bag open and the contents gone. I was able to retrieve everything right down to an extra microSD card for my gps ... except my camera! An hour and a half search was fruitless. Anyways, when the bag opened, the straps that hold the lid from opening more than 90 degrees came unanchored and the top of the lid dragged down the highway. There is an area about the size of two hands where the paint and primer are gone, and an area about half that size where the plastic has been ground down a bit. It is still structurally quite sound - not even close to a hole being made in the lid. A new painted lid from BMW is $475 Cdn so I am figuring to get it repaired by a body shop down the road from my store. Is there anything special that should be taken into account? Where can I find the paint code? I am not the original owner so don't have that in any of the paperwork I have.

Last edited:
Not hopeful

I had the same experience on a secondary road, but the strap held so my bag did not get trashed like yours. It felt like air brakes going on and the bike definitely wiggled, or else I wouldn't have known that it happened. I was lucky. I also opened a bag once and the lid hit the pavement because the strap end had somehow popped out of its holder. Just minor scratches, but now I put a twist tie around the end of the strap holder so this cannot happen again.

I have successfully repaired minor scratches on bags but what you have described sounds like it wore the bag down, in which case a repair I think it could be difficult to make it look like the bag did before the accident. I'd suggest looking on ebay for a better candidate for repainting that would not require major bodywork, then repaint that. There are always a few for sale. And if you are careful it is something you could do yourself with spray cans. I did my top case lid and the finish is actually nicer than the factory, probably because I used a lot more clear coat than they do.

EBay, the MOA Flea market or the Internet BMW Riders Association (IBMWRA) are probably the best options. The paint code--should you buy a
non-matching bag lid-- isn't really necessary. A good automotive painter can match just about any paint out there. But, it may not be cheap. I had two lids color matched Artic Blue and it ran $400.00 US. Have you checked with your insurance agent??

Had almost the same thing happen. Going down the road, left bag came open, as I was in a left turn. It drug on the pavement. Went to a body shop that specialized in motorcycles.... fixed and painted for $180.00.... you can't tell it was ever damaged.... Body man called the local BMW dealer and got the paint codes.... Find a good repair shop...

Good Luck.... I know that sick feeling.... but it can be fixed....

Last edited:
I thought I was the only forgetful one to ride off with the saddle bag latch up. :banghead

Push the lock to open the latch, not open the lid and not close the latch. Latch works loose, lid flops open, lucky if the retaining strap holds.

Did it twice to me and the poor bike still has the scars to prove it. Maybe after the bike is paid off I'll get them repaired and repainted.

Back