• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

opinions wanted - DC area bike storage

H

HMushman

Hi all,

I have a very good friend currently living in the DC area who's in quite a pickle. He and his wife recently moved to DC from Charlottesville, VA. A couple years before moving, he began to really get into motorcycles and purchased an F800ST, joining me on a couple of mid-west area tours and having a generally great time.

Fast-forward to present day after the fall-out of the econo-crisis. Circumstances required them to move and unfortunately their little apartment doesn't offer any safe, covered parking for motorcycles. Looking into storage options that would still allow him to ride on the occasional weekend, he's been unable to find anything under the ~$100/month range (looking as far out as Charlottesville), which is unfortunatlely more than their income is able to bear at the moment.

The short term solution is that they're keeping the bike in his father's garage in Indiana. Obviously inconvenient.

My concerns: With the current situation, he's only going to be able to ride 2-3 time/year. 1) This doesn't do much to keep a guy current on riding skills. He'll make special arrangements to get his bike and take a few touring trips through the year, but each time, he'll be like a green new rider since his skills won't be sharp. 2) At some point if this continues, I can foresee the bike getting sold due to unuse. I mean why continue to insure and plate a bike that's going to sit all year and collect dust? I hate losing riding buddies.

I'm looking for suggestions on safe, affordable motorcycle storage in the DC and surrounding area.

Thanks for your consideration,

-Kennet

Last edited:
Bike storage in DC area

I stored my bike in the DC area for a few months in 2009. I ended up storing it with Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD, where I had purchased the bike. It was a bit on the pricey side, but just worked out easier for me for a couple of months.

However, the guys at Bob's also told me about another local storage service that was considerably cheaper, and that would also pull your bike out anytime you wanted to take it out. It was the Cycle Vault Club, website:

http://cyclevaultclub.com/contactus.php

+1 on the BMWBMW.....I was only in town a short time, but they were real nice to me and made me feel very welcomed.

piperjim

Thanks for the good ideas. I'll pass them along.

If anyone else has any thoughts, please share!

-Kennet

George at Beemers Uber Alles in Manassas VA

Offers storage in his shop as well. Great service and likely cheaper than others. And when you pick up the bike you are already on the edge of the good riding in the area....

Beemers Uber Alles
9248 Mike Garcia Drive
Manassas VA 20109

(571) 318-2472

Back