• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Opinions on why you like your f650 single?

I'm toying with getting an f650 single from the late 90's. They always seemed like a practical, lightweight, motorcycle that got excellent gas mileage. Coming from owning a boxer,(oilhead) are the singles difficult to work on? They seem to be a bit of an orphan bike by BMW, with not many people owning them. What do people who own them think? Pros and cons of the 650 single?
Also, I only see about 10 threads on the forum. I thought there were more. How can I access them? Thanks.

F650.com is an extremely useful site.

I went through the same thinking as you. When the F650s first came out, I was very attracted to them but didn't want something so small.

That's now 20 years ago, and being inseam challenged, my taller/heavier bikes are becoming more of a challenge to ride, especially in terrain that requires paddling through with one's feet.

As someone who is always eyeing new-to-me bikes, and an admin of the IBMWR Marketplace, over the years I've watched used examples of various 650 models going up for sale. These bikes retain resale value exceptionally well.

In late 2014, a lower-priced, low-mile, cosmetically challenged Orlando Orange 1997 F650ST came up for sale for significantly below the going price, so I bought it, just to see if I'd like a bike like this.

What a phenomenal bike. I. Love. This. Bike! In the twisties I can hang with anyone. It goes over just about any ground with a friendly chug-chug-chug, although the suspension is rather limited in travel and damping sophistication... but not that bad.

However, as I got more familiar with the bike a few known issues popped up. The voltage regulator on the "classics" (as the 90s bikes are now called) was located under the seat, away from cooling airflow. The result was a VR that didn't work, which cooked the battery and if left long enough would fry the wiring in the harness. F650.com details a way to relocate the VR in such a way to avoid that, but it's clear that this happened to my bike. I've got it all fixed now, and my last step is to add a Voltmeter so that I can be sure the VR is working as it should.

The classics are carbureted, there are actually two small carbs wedged in there, and another common problem discussed on F650.com is leaky o-rings in the float bowl. It's always a good practice to turn off the fuel petcock on these bikes, but if these o-rings are bad it is a real stinker to R/R those carbs. Also important to know, the carburetor bikes get only about 45mpg... pretty much the same as my 1200cc HP2 enduro.

One other known issue is the seal for the water pump shaft. Again, F650.com has all the advice you need.

The next generation of the bikes came with fuel injection, and while fuel mileage increased into the 50s and 60s, many owners complained of overly-sensitive throttles and balky fueling at low RPMs. In the oilhead world, this is known as lean surging and the fix is (imo) a "Booster Plug" that fools the EFI into thinking the incoming air is 20 degrees cooler that it actually is, causing the system to enrichen the mixture just a bit.

I recently bought a 2007 G650 Xchallenge... I ride a lot of dirt and really wanted better suspension. This bike is phenomenal, especially after putting on the Booster Plug. Just took my first decent ride on this bike over the holidays and am very impressed... I should have bought one when these were new!

So, my advice to you is to strongly consider one of the newer bikes with FI. The hard part will be finding one at a great price.

20141026_140808-XL.jpg

Punkin_sand-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I only see about 10 threads on the forum. I thought there were more. How can I access them? Thanks.

At the bottom of the page is a selection of how many threads show up...from one month to From the beginning. Select more and hit Show Threads.

We have an 07 GS, been pretty rock solid. Fun bike, relatively easy maintenance, some tasks require a lot of parts to be removed to get to the task, but not a deal killer.

Only issue for me is it's a single and when you go to make a pass, you need a lot more space!

Only issue for me is it's a single and when you go to make a pass, you need a lot more space!

I don't know if you know this or not, but the round cylindrical component attached to the right handle bar twists. If you rotate it towards you, "wrist down" it go fast.

I don't know if you know this or not, but the round cylindrical component attached to the right handle bar twists. If you rotate it towards you, "wrist down" it go fast.

Funny you mention that. I had replaced some cables and replaced the fork seals a week or so ago. H called me after riding into town...bike tops out at 55.:scratch Speed limit 70. She got passed a few times,luckily a four lane.

Bad me for not road testing, blame it on several days of rain..., yeah, that's it...seems I missed one notch on the cam/cable assy at the grip...rode in and fixed my goof up. Got a ride in and she had a better ride home. Lesson learned.

Still a great bike!

I have had two; Voni has had one. I bought one of the first 1997 Funduro bikes sold in the U.S. - the Wednesday before the dealership unveiling the following Saturday. I rode it Thanksgiving day and some Friday and took it back for the 600 mile service Friday evening. Then it went back on the floor at Engle Motors for folks to look at while their only other one - the demo - was out being ridden on Saturday. A bit later we bought another - red one - for Voni. We rode them to and from Alaska and they were perfect for the task. Eventually we sold both of them.

Then I bought an '01 F650 Dakar. I used it as my summer travel the country bike for two years. For some absolutely unexplained reason the engine seized at about 2 miles per hour, putt putt at near idle. I haven't torn it down yet to see why. But it was a great travel bike for me. Enough power, light, nimble, good on rough roads to and from campgrounds, etc. I'd buy another, but right now I have a 650 VStrom so don't need an F650 at the moment.

One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier posts is that the valve adjustment on these bikes can be a time-consuming task. A lot of things need to be removed from the bike in order to access the vales.

Then good news is that they rarely need adjusting.... from what I hear, they're much like K-bikes: check/adjust once and they rarely need it again.

Ian

Thank you to everyone for your responses. Very helpful. I was especially interested in the mileage differential between the carburetor and fuel injected models. I always thought they all got around 60 miles per gallon. Good to know that they all don't since that is one of their main attractions to me, and I would have been disappointed with the early models mpg after I had bought it. From what everyone says, they are good bikes; light, handle well, durable. All the things I am looking for. Makes me wonder why more people don't own one. They one I was looking at was a 1998, and apparently sold pretty quickly. But listening to the advice here, I believe I will do as suggested, and look for a later one with the fuel injection. It won't cost that much more and will be an easier bike to live with over the long haul.

I bought a 2016 G650GS about two weeks ago, I only have 250 miles on her, I'm trying to keep the revs under the recommended 5000 RPM during break in. I checked my gas mileage it was 58 MPG. Alt Rider and Touratech must love me because I keep buying accessories for her ! Taking her out on a duel sport ride this Sunday, will see how she does.
Steve

I bought a 2016 G650GS about two weeks ago, I only have 250 miles on her, I'm trying to keep the revs under the recommended 5000 RPM during break in. I checked my gas mileage it was 58 MPG. Alt Rider and Touratech must love me because I keep buying accessories for her ! Taking her out on a duel sport ride this Sunday, will see how she does.
Steve

You got yourself a winner there Steve. A recent article in this month's on extols the virtues of a 2015 GSA break in ride. I think you are going to very much love that bike, and as a former 58 CE you'll be able to pull all your own services, after warranty expires, and keep er in top notch condition.
:thumb

One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier posts is that the valve adjustment on these bikes can be a time-consuming task. A lot of things need to be removed from the bike in order to access the vales.

Then good news is that they rarely need adjusting.... from what I hear, they're much like K-bikes: check/adjust once and they rarely need it again.

Ian

My 2013 GS 650 has only required two shim changes (at the same time) in 30,000 miles of hard riding.

As that I am now near going out of warranty I will go to valve clearance checks every 10,000 miles.

If you do need to change shims your dealer has shims in .05mm increments and you can go to places like Dennis Kirk and Harley Davidson if you need something in a .025mm increment.

It is a pain to get into the valves especially if you have been spoiled by adjusting valves on a boxer. Gets easier with practice.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Last edited:
Back on the 650 GS - and what a treat

A few years ago I took a bad spill off my F 650 GS while 50 miles into the Arizona back country. The result was a badly broken wrist, surgery, and physical therapy to regain full use of my throttle hand. After about 6 months I was back to riding my bikes, including the GS, but fear kept me away from dirt. Today, I decided to suck it up. I took a good dirt road that starts not far from my home and winds through Zane Grey country at the base of the Mogollon rim. I remembered how much I enjoyed riding down a dirt road with nothing but wilderness to see in every direction, while the single thumped reassuringly, and the 650s light weight calmed my anxieties at being off road. I just stayed in my comfort zone which was around 35-40 mph, and had a nice time.

When I reached pavement, I cut over to Interstate-17 and cranked it up to 70, exiting after a while onto a paved, country two-lane that led to the twister Page Springs Road through the Verde Valley wine country. After that it was on to the red rocks of Sedona where I made a U-turn once I got near traffic, and backtracked so I could enjoy Page Springs road again. After that it was a coffee stop where I chatted with a couple of other dual sport riders. Then it was a gas stop and back home. A 95-mile Sunday ride going nowhere, and everywhere. [At the gas stop I added 1.4 gallons for a 69 mpg average.]

The point of all this? I was reacquainted with what a do-it-all motorcycle the F 650 GS is - dirt road, highway, two lanes, twisties, ADV camaraderie. It's no Interstate scorcher. The sweet spot for my 650 is around 70 mph. It will go faster, but 70 is where it feels most comfortable on the highway. But that's just fine with me. I've reached a point where my age and my preferred speed have comfortably crossed - 70 miles an hour at 70 years of age. Off road, it lacks the suspension chops for technical single tracks. But then, I won't be riding those trails, so it doesn't pose a problem. It does what I need it to do nicely, and that's a fine thing in a motorcycle.

This was also my first chance to try out the TKC 70s that replaced the TKC80s, in case anybody is interested in making that change. The TKC 70s handle securely and predictably on pavement, and are far quieter than the TKC80s. Although they don't hook up as aggressively in loose stuff as the 80s, I felt in control through gravel, washboards, and some sand. The TKS70s also more secure on clay hardpan where the 80s always seemed to want to wander bit.

Verdict. The F 650 GS - one versatile motorcycle with a limited appetite for liquid dinosaur.

Ray Michalowski, Rimrock, AZ
2006 F 650 GS
2002 R 1150 RT
1989 Honda NT 650 Hawk
1973 Honda CB 400 F
1967 Honda CA 95

From one F650GS rider to another... Good on ya. Way to get back on the bike. I know of this broken wrist business you speak of... Not pleasant to say the least. I'm glad to see you kicking life and all her circumstances in the butt and being the master of your own destiny.

From one F650GS rider to another... Good on ya. Way to get back on the bike. I know of this broken wrist business you speak of... Not pleasant to say the least. I'm glad to see you kicking life and all her circumstances in the butt and being the master of your own destiny.

Thanks for the support…and I like the Bruce Lee quote. So true, and so Zen.

I find it a very capable and fun ride. It's my 7th bike in 25+ yrs. I've had bigger, faster, smaller. This bike does what I want and does it well. Twisty 2 lanes for hundreds of miles followed by a few miles of dirt to find a quiet campsite. Light enough to pick it up. Yes I drop it on jeep trails. I like the lightness in many areas. It helps in dirt, more fun in traffic and on the twists and it easier to move around in the garage.
I also like the feel and sound of a thumper.
Last but not least is the good suspension. I like to travel on black top. I've found that the quality of the road often changes at the county or state line. What ever bike you ride it should have a suspension to deal with the road.
XL250R
KLR 650
R100GS
Sprint 900ST
Thunderbird
XL1200R
G650GS

Back