• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ON article...impaired riding-Its about time!

Obviously drinking and driving is not a problem for any of us on here...we all know how to handle our booze (of those who do drink). But for all the rest out there in the neitherlands of society it IS a problem. Apparently the ad campaign isnt working..."drive sober" or "drink responsibly" and here in IL "drink and drive and lose". Maybe its a bigger problem than we care to admit? My feeling is that when alcohol is available it will be abused by some (no on on here of course!)

If the MOA did promote a rally with no beer I almost think I'd be the only one to show up! INteresting point from J.K....we all want something to make us feel good but that something has to come from outside ourselves. Are people just afraid to be themselves anymore?

Obviously drinking and driving is not a problem for any of us on here...we all know how to handle our booze (of those who do drink). But for all the rest out there in the neitherlands of society it IS a problem. Apparently the ad campaign isnt working..."drive sober" or "drink responsibly" and here in IL "drink and drive and lose". Maybe its a bigger problem than we care to admit? My feeling is that when alcohol is available it will be abused by some (no on on here of course!)

If the MOA did promote a rally with no beer I almost think I'd be the only one to show up! INteresting point from J.K....we all want something to make us feel good but that something has to come from outside ourselves. Are people just afraid to be themselves anymore?

Life's a gamble.

Risk versus reward, each time we saddle up there's a chance it'll be our last. From cages to critters, from bad roads to lapses in concentration and judgement, the choice we make when riding can have dire consequences.

But so do the joy and benefits.

Simply said, it's all about how we calibrate our individual scale of chance and choice, and the level of risk that we find acceptable, though never comfortable.

Some limit their speed and types of road. Others limit their time of day, or length of travel. While others limit their intake and consumption.

Then others enhance their chance and choices by improving their skills and abilities. From ATGATT to brighter head and tail lights, from MSF training to buying bikes with better brakes and performance, from joining a club to buddy rides, it's all about how you shuffle and cut the cards when play your hand.

In summary, with a limited amount of chips to play with, sometimes it pays to play a bluff. However in the long run, if you truely love and understand the game, it's only a matter of time before the dice eventually come up snake eyes.

Hopefully, it'll quietly happen at home, while sleeping, and not on the road, when a calm warm wind suddenly blows cold.

In summary, as Jerry once soulfully sang, "don't let that deal go down."

J.K. :wow

Zero whilst riding

I enjoy riding too much to risk losing my life, bike or harming some-one else!

Life's a gamble.

Risk versus reward, each time we saddle up there's a chance it'll be our last. From cages to critters, from bad roads to lapses in concentration and judgement, the choice we make when riding can have dire consequences.

But so do the joy and benefits.

Simply said, it's all about how we calibrate our individual scale of chance and choice, and the level of risk that we find acceptable, though never comfortable.

Some limit their speed and types of road. Others limit their time of day, or length of travel. While others limit their intake and consumption.

Then others enhance their chance and choices by improving their skills and abilities. From ATGATT to brighter head and tail lights, from MSF training to buying bikes with better brakes and performance, from joining a club to buddy rides, it's all about how you shuffle and cut the cards when play your hand.

In summary, with a limited amount of chips to play with, sometimes it pays to play a bluff. However in the long run, if you truely love and understand the game, it's only a matter of time before the dice eventually come up snake eyes.

Hopefully, it'll quietly happen at home, while sleeping, and not on the road, when a calm warm wind suddenly blows cold.

In summary, as Jerry once soulfully sang, "don't let that deal go down."

Well put!

Playful Fun

For many on this Forum, the initial sense of wide-eyed wonder has long left their everyday riding experience. Jaded and faded by years of redundant repetition and careful conditioning, the shear fun and freedom of playfully flying down the road no longer enters the picture.

Gone are the days of playing follow the leader, rat-racing like your hair's on fire, or hooking up with some lonesome stranger who'll soon become your best friend and riding buddy.

The same youthful rush of your first love, first ride, first license, first ticket, first bumble and tumble, are now dull distant memories; or are they?

Clearly, the magic and passion for riding shouldn't be taken for granted. The simple secret is the anticipatory preparation, between the ears, prior to ever turning the key and twisting the throttle.

In summary, like the slobbering saliva of Pavlov's dogs, the joy and thrill of the ride starts long before we ever mount up, and continues long after the engine and pipes have cooled down.

P.S. Today, I looked like frosty the snowman, riding back home in an unanticipated snow shower. And those ABS brakes helped turn my tense frown into a full shinny ****-eating grin.

In short, I had a blast in an otherwise typical Denver winter day.

Last edited:

when i rode cross country i slept under my motorcycle a real lot, i always worried about that wind blowing my bike over and waking up to a footpeg in chest.

these things are dangerous no matter which way you slice it!:bolt :laugh

when i rode cross country i slept under my motorcycle a real lot, i always worried about that wind blowing my bike over and waking up to a footpeg in chest.

these things are dangerous no matter which way you slice it!:bolt :laugh

You were sleeping on the non-sidestand side (leaned AWAY) to make that less likely, I hope. :D You can always grab some rope and stake the bike to the ground...

about time

You were sleeping on the non-sidestand side (leaned AWAY) to make that less likely, I hope. :D You can always grab some rope and stake the bike to the ground...

Bubba probably would have thought of that if he hadn't been drinking so much.

:dance :drink :bolt

Friedle
pleased to see so many people read even the boring stuff in the ON

Back