• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is the Blue Ridge Parkway inherently dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the title of an article in the Asheville Citizen Times that came out on Monday. Very thoughtful article, unfortunately behind a paywall. It was based on the death of an expert rider, Chris Emory, last week. He was one of the leaders of the local Hayabusa Club and led many of their rides. After may years on his Hayabusa, Chris bought a Harley. That is what he died on. This year there have been 5 fatal accidents and 6 deaths on the Parkway: all of them on Harleys, only one involving excessive speed. It appears he leaned the bike over to make a turn, hit hard parts, and slid into a handrail. He had full gear on.

Chief Ranger Neal Labrie, a rider, is quoted quite a bit. It appears that the most common factor in motorcycle deaths over the years is not years of experience, or experience on mountain roads: it is larger cruiser bikes lower to the ground. It seems riders struggle to stay in their lanes, lean, and scrape footpegs and crash bars. Just Google Harleys on the dragon. Chris was very experienced, but not on Harleys.

One other common factor is that most deaths on the Parkway occur between 12:00pm and 4:00pm: siesta time. They typically do not involve alcohol, less than 17%.

I have a house in Asheville and have spent a lot of time riding the mountain roads in the area. The Parkway is what I ride when I want an easy low stress ride, so the deaths are surprising. I looked at an R18 since I love the look, but quickly concluded that I would not want to ride that bike on a mountain road. Reading the article I think that was a smart decision.

rickdm

I have ridden a good bit on the BRP, some on a Harley Electra-Glide, some on a Triumph Tiger, and on a number of BMW bikes (K75S, R11RS, R100RS, R100GSPD, R1200RT). I agree that the BRP is a very easy, low stress ride. Many of the roads coming up the mountains (or going down) are much more difficult; many of those connector roads have 55 mph speed limits, which is way faster than I'll go in some sections.

Early morning and late afternoon are times that I will not ride on the BRP due to the many deer present. During the mid-day hours it is very pleasant and one would do well to make use of the many turn-outs to view the scenery. I do know of some that tried looking whilst riding and crashed. I believe that Don Tilley (owner of Tilley's Harley Davidson dealership in NC) was killed a few years back in this manner.

Riding a bike that one is unfamiliar with is often a recipe for a crash.

Nothing wrong with taking it easy. If traffic builds up behind you, then use a turn-off to let folks go on past. I have always thought that if one is in a hurry, the you are doing it wrong.

brp-warnign.jpg

No, the BRP is not inherently dangerous. It's a mild road, less tolerant than some when used as a race track, more tolerant than others. But the road is not a race track! And as noted, some of the roads leading to it are far more technical than the parkway itself. The full length can be done in one long day by why would you want to? The whole point of it is to relax and enjoy the scenery.

I agree with the answers above. This brings me to the original question, I have to wonder if it shouldn't be: "Is the Ricky-Racer mentality inherently dangerous?". The answer, of course, is "Yes". Public roads are not for racing, even if you're only racing yourself. Sign up for track days.

Dragging hard parts in curves is inherently dangerous. Over-riding the suspension capabilities of your motorcycle is inherently dangerous. I-20 beteen Midland and Slowdeatha, Texas is inherently dangerous.

I've logged about ten trips on the Parkway over the years.

All have been on the following bikes:

'74 R90s
'93 R100RT
2004 R1150RT

I love the Parkway because it ISN'T Deal's Gap. Nearly all the turns are predictable and definitely not dangerous.

You can ride at a 55mph clip, lean into the turns and still enjoy the incredible scenery.

Sorry to hear another rider passed but switching from a Sport-bike to a Harley Cruiser and tackling anything with turns does have it's risks.

RIP

Based on the recent historical record quoted, perhaps the article should have been titled "Is Riding A Harley On The Blue Ridge Parkway Inherently Dangerous?"

I've been on that road, top to bottom, about 6 times. As previously mentioned, the turns are basically all predictable. The ones that aren't are properly signed. I will freely admit to riding above the 45 mph speed limit. Whenever I have come upon a line of cars going significantly below that limit, the line is inevitably being slowed by a couple of, or group of, cruiser bikes who are having difficulty negotiating turns.

I have seen Harleys impressively ridden by capable folks who know the limits of their bikes. Perhaps more rider training is in order?

I have ridden a good bit on the BRP, some on a Harley Electra-Glide, some on a Triumph Tiger, and on a number of BMW bikes (K75S, R11RS, R100RS, R100GSPD, R1200RT). I agree that the BRP is a very easy, low stress ride. Many of the roads coming up the mountains (or going down) are much more difficult; many of those connector roads have 55 mph speed limits, which is way faster than I'll go in some sections.

Yes, especially those roads that dive down off of the BRP, which are very curvy and technical. The steep downhill grades are much tougher to handle than those same roads going uphill. I did a ride down there with a buddy and because lodging is scarce on the BRP, we got off and negotiated one of those steeply downhill, curvy roads, the one that leads to a motorcycle-only campground. We made a run into town for dinner and a local policeman cautioned us to take it easy on the local roads. He probably had to deal with more than his share of run-off-the-road bike wrecks on those roads.

Harry

I agree with the answers above. This brings me to the original question, I have to wonder if it shouldn't be: "Is the Ricky-Racer mentality inherently dangerous?". The answer, of course, is "Yes". Public roads are not for racing, even if you're only racing yourself. Sign up for track days.

Here is the punchline for the article: it's not the Ricky Racers dying there, it's old guys on cruisers. The start of the article talks about Chris and his Hayabusa, and of course you think it's about a guy on a Hayabusa flying off the road. But no, the article was about guys on cruisers that cannot control their bikes.

The roads heading up to the Parkway are much more dangerous, but much more fun. 80, 226A, 276, and 215 make the Parkway seem like a nice relaxed ride.

I used to live about 10 minutes from the BRP near Grandfather Mountain NC and have logged many relaxing, and some exciting, hours on on that road. I have ridden Yamahas, a '94 Honda CB1000, Kawasaki Concourse, R75/5, R1150r, R1150RT, and my current R1200GS on the parkway without incident; barring a tankslapper from my '72 R75/5 SWB with a new handlebar mounted windshield (don't do that!). I have seen folks cruising at low speeds enjoying the scenery and those who passed me at near triple digit speeds. Most riders seem to ride at or just over the speed limit and enjoy the magic of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I have also come upon several crashes and they were all cruisers except for one BMW GS that hit a BIG pothole at the end of a bridge (should have seen that one coming). Fortunately no one was badly injured on any of the crashes, but I wondered about the cause of the crashes. Most were either in a curve or just after a curve, nice weather with dry pavement, and again- Cruisers. Usually nicely polished and low mileage.

I have always attributed the crashes to rider error, a lapse of attention, or lack of training and experience. I am a proponent of the European style of rider licensing with stepped, graduated licenses to give riders experience before moving to a heavier, more powerful bike. Across the Atlantic the governments and most riders realize that a motorcycle is not just an expensive toy, but a viable means of travel and transportation.

As long as we do without such a policy, such unnecessary deaths will be the "price of freedom".

Last edited:
Here is the punchline for the article: it's not the Ricky Racers dying there, it's old guys on cruisers. The start of the article talks about Chris and his Hayabusa, and of course you think it's about a guy on a Hayabusa flying off the road. But no, the article was about guys on cruisers that cannot control their bikes.

The roads heading up to the Parkway are much more dangerous, but much more fun. 80, 226A, 276, and 215 make the Parkway seem like a nice relaxed ride.

Makes sense. I've ridden all those roads, on Harleys, as well as my RT, never had a problem.. but, I took my time, smelled the roses so to speak. Several guys on sport-bikes from my area have gone up there and crashed, always due to going too fast for their skills / road conditions. I suppose that was the reason for my knee-jerk reaction. I've also seen way too many old guys who buy a Harley, haven't ridden for 40 years, and still believe all the nonsense they "learned" in the '60s. "Never touch the front brake or you'll go over the handlebars". "You don't need leather, a field jacket will do", those kinds of things.

Didn't mean to minimize anyone's tragedy, or offend anyone named Ricky. :burnout

This is the title of an article in the Asheville Citizen Times that came out on Monday. Very thoughtful article, unfortunately behind a paywall. It was based on the death of an expert rider, Chris Emory, last week. He was one of the leaders of the local Hayabusa Club and led many of their rides. After may years on his Hayabusa, Chris bought a Harley. That is what he died on. This year there have been 5 fatal accidents and 6 deaths on the Parkway: all of them on Harleys, only one involving excessive speed. It appears he leaned the bike over to make a turn, hit hard parts, and slid into a handrail......

Was there a witness? It sounds like Chris was an experienced rider but unless he had to swerve or bounced in a dip/hole he must have been going faster than the 45 mpg speed limit around a corner. I say this because I'm no great rider but I've ridden the BRP a number of times on three different Harleys and unless one blows the line they're all more than capable of taking any BRP corner at 55+ mph.

One other common factor is that most deaths on the Parkway occur between 12:00pm and 4:00pm: siesta time.

It could be after lunch drowsiness, or maybe there are just more bikes riding during the afternoon.

But no the BRP is not dangerous to ride, in fact it's a lot safer than most of the similar size roads around it.

Growing up we lived in Roanoke, VA for awhile and the Parkway was only a few miles away. This was when I rode a Triumph Bonneville and a H1 Kawasaki and knew little about how to ride them well, but wanted to ride as fast as I could. If the Parkway were inherently dangerous I am sure I’d have proved it back then.

Life is inherently dangerous.

Yes.

And whether they recognize it or not, motorcyclists intentionally increase that danger. Mostly, they do that because the feeling of defying death (which some rightly associate with freedom) is a good one.

Until it’s not.

Meanwhile…more danger please.

It is the essential stuff of living. A life without it is no life at all.

#dontstaysafe

I live a few miles from milepost 1 and ride the BRP a lot. No, it's not dangerous and not technically difficult. It was designed to be a scenic highway and driven/ridden at moderate speeds. While it's not dangerous, like all roads, it can be ridden in a dangerous manner.

Early morning and late afternoon are times that I will not ride on the BRP due to the many deer present. During the mid-day hours it is very pleasant and one would do well to make use of the many turn-outs to view the scenery. I do know of some that tried looking whilst riding and crashed. I believe that Don Tilley (owner of Tilley's Harley Davidson dealership in NC) was killed a few years back in this manner.

Riding a bike that one is unfamiliar with is often a recipe for a crash.

Nothing wrong with taking it easy. If traffic builds up behind you, then use a turn-off to let folks go on past. I have always thought that if one is in a hurry, the you are doing it wrong.

View attachment 84964
Don Tilley had a heart attack with riding and crashed. I like the BRP but the speed limit of 35-45 is hard to maintain. Federal tickets are almost impossible to get "fixed".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back