• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Omega or Nippondenso?

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I have a question. I’m trying to figure out which would be the mod to make first. :scratch Should it be the Omega charging system, or the Nippondenso starter? I’m curious which modification would be the best to maintain a battery charge during short rides. My work is about 10 minutes from my house. The starter would drain the battery less during starting, but the Omega would charge better and at lower RPMs. So I’m curious, which one to do first.

FWIW, I do have a trickle charger that I’m currently using.

Edit: bike: 88 R100RT

Last edited:
How about an adjustable voltage regulator first? Easy to install...easy on the wallet!! Rick at Motorrad Elektrik sells 'em...so does Ted Porter, Stan Smith, etc. You can wick up the charging voltage for that extra boost. If you don't do much long distance stuff which could heat the battery up, this might be a good initial solution.

Jeff,

Install the high output voltage regulator as suggested by 20774 first. Then keep you battery connected to a Battery Tender when at home. Your short commute barely gets the bike up to operating temperature and tends to drain the battery, no relation to the starter.

I have a question. IÔÇÖm trying to figure out which would be the mod to make first. :scratch Should it be the Omega charging system, or the Nippondenso starter? IÔÇÖm curious which modification would be the best to maintain a battery charge during short rides. My work is about 10 minutes from my house. The starter would drain the battery less during starting, but the Omega would charge better and at lower RPMs. So IÔÇÖm curious, which one to do first.

FWIW, I do have a trickle charger that IÔÇÖm currently using.

In your situation a battery tender will do the most good and cost the least.

The starter is best purchased if/when your current bosh dies, or to replace an early valeo before it dies. The omega serves best for folks who need more juice for lights heated gear etc. then the stock can provide. Both are very nice products, but not much help with your need for a 10 minute charge.

I have a question. IÔÇÖm trying to figure out which would be the mod to make first. :scratch Should it be the Omega charging system, or the Nippondenso starter? IÔÇÖm curious which modification would be the best to maintain a battery charge during short rides. My work is about 10 minutes from my house. The starter would drain the battery less during starting, but the Omega would charge better and at lower RPMs. So IÔÇÖm curious, which one to do first.

FWIW, I do have a trickle charger that IÔÇÖm currently using.

You could also find a longer route, maybe 30 minutes, that included some higher speed sections of highway/interstate for your trip each day.

I had heard/read (from time to time) that these bikes took about an hour of riding to charge the battery from the drain of starting. And, IÔÇÖve been a little apprehensive to ride to work partly because of this. So I figured either of the two solutions I suggested (based on my limited knowledge) would be best. I did not expect a third option to be the best scenario.

I have a ÔÇ£high outputÔÇØ regulator, and I purchased a rebuild kit for the starter, but havenÔÇÖt had/made the time to work on it. From the responses I got here and at Boxerworks.com, it looks like round/stage one is to rebuild the starter (the bike does have 100k on it), and see if I have any trouble.

I think I know what the project will be on the up coming tech day on July 26 in Pleasanton. Perhaps IÔÇÖll see some of you there.

Thanks again for all the input.

I have a short ride to work. I ride it every day and don't have a problem. Everything is stock. I don't use any type of charger. I have longer rides mixed in on most weeks, but there have been weeks that the only riding I did was back and forth to work.

If everything is in good working order, I would try it as is and see if there is a problem.

I had heard/read (from time to time) that these bikes took about an hour of riding to charge the battery from the drain of starting.

I ride my /7 every other week for about 30 miles as a way of charging the battery and burning the moisture out of the oil/mufflers. No trickle charge in between. I've not had a problem with the bike not wanting to start. I have an aftermarket Transpo non-adjustable regulator. I do disconnect the ground strap at the back of the tranny just to be sure. I've cut the ring terminal so that I only have to back the bolt out a few turns and the connector comes off. Yes, I'm very careful with that bolt...I've been doing this for 20+ years now...

Back