• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Old tires ARE dangerous!

zoridog

I was riding the K100 to work this morning. Dry asphalt. No gravel. The light changed to green, I proceeded at about 20-25mph in the left lane. It was a nice wide turn so I was at a very slight lean.

At the end of the turn, my front tire slid out 4 or 5 inches. I was going slow so I had no trouble keeping the bike vertical. It scared the sh*t out of the driver behind me. God knows what would have happened if I'd been hitting an exit ramp at 50 mph.

This tire was produced in 2000. The previous owner had the bike in his garage for 6 years. Even though it looked new, the rubber must have lost its gripping properties.

I'm riding the bike directly to a dealer to get new rubber. REPLACE THOSE TIRES EVERY 2 YEARS! :gerg I know I will!

The rubber hadn't lost it's "gripping properties" it's surface hardened due to ozone exposure. Ride it off, it'll be fine. If it's not cracked, that is.

I agree. My R50 sat for 20+ years. It has brand new, 20 year old Continentals on it and I hear they haven't made bike tires in years. I rode it to the Nat'l, it handled just fine.

wear is milage based

wear is milage based. Sliding out at low speed more likely a pavement issue in this case.

I have 8 year old Dunlop 491s on my 87 K10LT. Both tires have plenty of tread. Front has tiny sidewall cracks. I don't trust them.

I just orederd new Metzler ME 880s for $228.29. My health deductible is $250. New tires are cheaper. I am allergic to asphalt.

Ralph Sims

Back