• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil level indicator seems worthless.

Nonsense-the message is ultra simple: get the bike up to full operating temperature--happens every single time you take a 'longer journey'. That means NOT warming the thing up in your driveway unless you are willing to sit there until the cooling fan kicks in. This is why I always check the site glass after a significant ride which unequivocally gets the bike up to full operating temperature. Then wait 5 minutes--that is also completely unambiguous.

Ok. :dance

Starting an oil thread...

...is a bit like stepping in dog poo. As the OP, I didn't mean to do it. I miss the dipstick.

I once saw a post where the poster was asking how to use the dipstick on an airhead.
Now you've got/had enough airheads and certainly enough miles on airheads, that you know that using an airhead dipstick via the factory directions is different from most other vehicles.

From one of my various airhead manuals:
To measure oil level correctly, push the dipstick back into its hole after cleaning but do not screw it in.
Dipstick is only inserted into filler opening for checking oil level, and not screwed in.
Unscrew the filler plug/dipstick from its boss in the crankcase left- hand side, wipe it clean and refit it so that the plug rests on the crankcase; do not screw it in

Every other vehicle I've had with a dipstick has been designed to be firmly re-inserted / tightened to get an accurate reading, airheads require you to not do this but to lightly rest it on the opening put is not fully seated.

Now you've got/had enough airheads and certainly enough miles on airheads, that you know that using an airhead dipstick via the factory directions is different from most other vehicles.

From one of my various airhead manuals:

Every other vehicle I've had with a dipstick has been designed to be firmly re-inserted / tightened to get an accurate reading, airheads require you to not do this but to lightly rest it on the opening put is not fully seated.

Actually, Gold Wings measured the same way - rest dip stick on opening, but do not begin threading. :deal

I'd forgotten all about that. Only had one Wing, over two decades ago, and you know what they say "the mind is the second thing to go". ;-)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Relax, wetheads don't use any oil.

I beg to differ , the attached photos are of my 14RT right after the oil and filter change ( and yes the bike was run until the oil light went out ) and the other one is at 6,000 miles later before changing the oil and filter, so I would have to say that yes they do use oil , at least in my case.

Attachments

• oil level at oil change.jpg
    oil level at oil change.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 66
  • oil level at 6,000 miles.jpg
    oil level at 6,000 miles.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 64
I beg to differ , the attached photos are of my 14RT right after the oil and filter change ( and yes the bike was run until the oil light went out ) and the other one is at 6,000 miles later before changing the oil and filter, so I would have to say that yes they do use oil , at least in my case.

Maybe so, but as you described it one cannot tell if the engine was at similar temperatures for both readings. Temperature makes a significant difference in sight glass readings. Sounds like the initial reading was done cold, no way of knowing about the second reading taken after 6000 miles.

So in 6K miles, there was never an issue of even considering adding oil. And of course an oil change is called for @ 6K miles. I'll stand by my original statement.

Harry

Maybe so, but as you described it one cannot tell if the engine was at similar temperatures for both readings. Temperature makes a significant difference in sight glass readings. Sounds like the initial reading was done cold, no way of knowing about the second reading taken after 6000 miles.

Both readings were done and always are done cold , I usually check the oil level before going for a ride , thus cold and on the center stand .

So in 6K miles, there was never an issue of even considering adding oil. And of course an oil change is called for @ 6K miles. I'll stand by my original statement.

Harry

There was never a need to consider adding oil because the level was never anywhere near the minimum allowed oil level .

Harry

I have to agree. My hexhead would use that much oil in the first 1000-2000 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back