• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil leak on the frame 06f650gs

C

crispy

Hi guys!i have an oil leak witch comes down on the frame and i have found some in the air box...anyone can give me an idea where its coming from...some say its to much oil...i changed it and its still leaking the same .thank you

Hi guys!i have an oil leak witch comes down on the frame and i have found some in the air box...anyone can give me an idea where its coming from...some say its to much oil...i changed it and its still leaking the same .thank you

Where is it on the frame? Is it coming from the drain plug or the drain plug from side oil tank? Have you checked the clamps to the hoses on the side oil tank? Have you also checked to see if maybe the oil is coming from the side oil tank? I got my side oil tank replaced under warranty because I was having issues with oil leak which was the side oil tank causing the problem. If you fill the bike up with too much oil, it will overflow into the air box.

Had the same issue. Slight crack in the oil tank. Replacing it solved the problem. Be sure to check the FAQ on F650.com. They list a number of possible source for oil leaks.

I had the same issue on my wife's 2006 F650. It cracked after someone (not her) tried riding the bike on it's side on a gravel road.:whistle

I loved the bike but man I hated doing an oil change on it; who puts a recessed oil filter on its side with an oil tank on the top half of the bike anyhow?

:cry

Number one reason for oil in the air box and then running down the frame on a F650 single is over filling the oil.

The oil level on the F650 singles has to be checked with the engine hot. If you check and fill the oil level with it cold you will always overfill it. Check the manual for the correct way to check the oil.

Also check the hoses and bypass valve. Also,... invest in a factory service manual.

Back