• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil leak 84 R100Rt

miairhead

Leak just started, (Okay a month ago but have not been riding) the oil cooler is leaking, I had the dealer change the oil when I got the 84 R100Rt last year. I had dealer check it out because it was my first AirHead and it need tires anyway. He found it to be in good shape, and needed really nothing. It always start even in the cold, gets near 40 mpg.

I changed the brake fluid last year too, pad were about 65% good.

Nothing happen to cause the leak but now the cooler is leaking. It was find for 3000+ miles, but now it leaks. Never had any drips under the bike while sitting until now. I have taken it apart and looked all gaskets look good, and only strange thing is one bolt is longer then the other two.

I really don't want to install a new filter setup as I want to warm up the oil to change. I might go the dealer and just get new gasket set for cooler, but I an not sure why it would start all of a sudden.

Have you tried replacing the crush washers on the banjo bolts? May not be that, but it's a possibility and certainly an easy one to deal with.

Exactly. The official BMW oil filter kits I get never have those washers in them - or they'll have one or two (ya need four).

A while ago I bought a box of assorted copper washers from Harbor Freight. I've got to get another, I'm almost out of them! - I use those things all the time. Electrical connections, mechanical connections - they're a godsend.

Anyway, would sure suggest new crush washers on those banjos as a first measure - if they haven't been replaced in a while, there's a good chance that's where your leak(s) is/are. And if so it sure is a cheap and easy fix.

Good luck.

Trail

I first noticed the leak when I came home awhile ago. There was a oil trail, (I leave in the dark). I checked the oil it was up. Next day at work I looked where we park MC's at work, no oil. Just in the morning? I just did not understand how it could leak first thing in the morning and not at 4 in the afternoon. It was in September, mornings were more then 50 afternoons in the 70's.

I just got around to looking where the oil was coming from. It did not seem to coming from the lines. I took off the filter, all the gaskets seem correct, (it has been 3000 miles since change).

I think I'll do a cold change of oil, let it drip till the cows come home. Then reinstall the filter kit. I don't really want to do a cold change, but figure it is time anyway for a change. If I going to use a kit I might I might as well do put in clean oil.

Annapolis has a good thought there. Bikes are tough to diagnose leaks from as leaked fluids have a tendency to get blown around when underway.

Why do you feel you need to change oil cold anyway? You couldn't run it a bit then change?

No need to change oil filter at every change in any event. Last time I changed oil (on an 84 R100RT, BTW) the oil looked almost brand new (best looking oil I ever saw come out of a motor) and the filter (which I cut open to inspect) didn't have ANYTHING in it that I could see with a magnifying glass. This was after about 2600 miles using Redline 20W-50 oil and an official BMW filter.

I'm gonna push my luck henceforth and put 3K miles on between oil changes and 10K between filter changes (Danged filter changes are enough of a PITA that that's really good news.)

Good luck. - BrianK

At cooler housing

The leak was coming directly from the cooler housing area. I took of the lower fairing to check. Thing that got me was trail leak in morning, but not at work. I will this weekend if all goes well install a new set of gaskets or the filter kit. If I can get the parts for just renewing all the gaskets without using the kit, If not then new filter.
I not sure if you can get the gaskets without the kit.

It a half mile to a paved road, so I drive a minimum of 1 mile of dirt every time I go out
The level was between the lines, so it could of lost some oil in the morning.

Last edited:
Oil filter change

Brian K.....don't worry 'bout it........I change my filter now every 10K miles.......was doing it every 5K, but took some advice from others with thermo assembly. I too cut 'em apart for inspection...can't find any metallic fuzz at all.

BUT.....I religiously change oil @ 2.5K (Spectro 20w-50)). "Igor" has 141K on him now...purrs like a kitten:D

Thanks Brownie, I'm with you.

Amazing how clean these airheads run. Any other bike, the oil would be black in a thousand miles. Good air filters, other reasons? Dunno.

I wouldn't ride again untill fixed... your dealing in the area of the $3000.00 o-ring, it might just be a bad gasket or it could be a pinched o-ring waiting to blow-out completely.. do some searches on the proper fitment of the o-ring,gaskets and shims....lots of info already out there...

riding, even warning up is out

I do not plan on doing any thing but get this figured out over the next few weeks. This has become my spare so it can just wait it's turn. I going to first see if gaskets are available, if not then a filter kit.

O ring leakage

I agree w/TGHSmith.....cool/cold starting temps can send oil pressure outta sight for a few minutes...that oil could easily be blowing by, or unseating the o-rings in thermo housing......you do NOT want this to happen!!

Change oil filter kit

I just got through changing the oil filter, with the kit. I did notice on of the crush washers was really well cruched, and the white 'Oring' may of had an issue.
The oil light went out quickly, and I reattached the plug wires. Letting it run for a short while leak seems gone. I will clean up and go for a ride.

It's almost 60 in Michigan, November 7.....

Back