• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil fill O-ring

craydds

My oil fill cap is weeping a little oil. Stock BMW o-rings are $4.21 apiece, part number 07-11-9-904-950: https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=60124&rnd=09082020 .

At $6.81 for 25 o-rings (27 cents apiece) I am going to try these from McMaster Carr: https://www.mcmaster.com/products/o...t~metric/width~3-530mm/width~3-500mm/od~32mm/ . Had to pay shipping plus tax, total came to $17.15, but that is only 68 cents per o-ring. I specifically chose 3.5 mm thick (diameter) o-rings, maybe get a better seal. Will report on results.

Have you tried the local hardware store? Midwest Fastener selection.
I like McMaster Carr but sometimes the quantities don’t work for me.

OM

Have you tried the local hardware store? Midwest Fastener selection.
I like McMaster Carr but sometimes the quantities don’t work for me.

OM

Omega Man, I did not try local. Sometimes they do not have specifically required items. Often it is easier for me to go with McMaster, and I can get exactly what I want. Yes, I usually get a lifetime supply. Ha! Now I will have a lifetime supply of o-rings. Anybody need one?

p.s. Recently ordered a box of M5 "clip-on" nuts; box actually had a BMW part number! https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/3613/95210A350

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread-

IMG_0812.jpg

And even with round and square edge, sometimes I need something else- :dunno

OM

Take your old o-ring to a good hydraulic jobber/repair shop. They can usually match sizes in a variety of materials.

Best,
DeVern

DeVern, we have some good local shops. It's so much easier to lay on the couch with my laptop and place an order. Don't have to run around town in traffic.

:D
Well, that’s my usual technique, too! But I end up giving away a lot of o-rings as bikes come through my garage, especially on Tech Days. And I like to visit my local hydraulic jobber every now and then, if for no other reason than ogling his assortment of cutaway examples. ;)

Best,
DeVern

pics

stock size on left is 27 x 3.2 according to Max BMW; that's 27 mm i.d. x 3.2 mm thick o-ring. McMaster on right is 25 x 3.5 and visibly "fatter":

1.jpeg

package of 25 o-rings at 68 cents apiece:

4.jpeg

good seal so far

thicker o-rings drop right into place:

2.jpeg

looks good so far, and I've tried to run the bike hard and get it plenty hot. will continue to monitor:

5.jpeg

packaging:

3.jpeg

One thing I learned the hard way, My o-ring was weeping a bit on a trip so I snugged it up a bit. After 350 miles still weeping. Stopped at ACE and put a ring on the top part of the filler cap (until I got home). Turns out if you overtighen the cap the ring will leak. Who'd of thought. Never leaked again.

One thing I learned the hard way, My o-ring was weeping a bit on a trip so I snugged it up a bit. After 350 miles still weeping. Stopped at ACE and put a ring on the top part of the filler cap (until I got home). Turns out if you overtighen the cap the ring will leak. Who'd of thought. Never leaked again.

I actually think that is an excellent consideration. :thumb

OM

Great info!

Metric vs Inch o-rings

stock size on left is 27 x 3.2 according to Max BMW; that's 27 mm i.d. x 3.2 mm thick o-ring. McMaster on right is 25 x 3.5 and visibly "fatter":

View attachment 92071

package of 25 o-rings at 68 cents apiece:

View attachment 92072

I was searching for the stock size 27mm x 3.2mm and not finding anything. So I tried converting the measurements to inches and "voilà"... 1-1/16in by 1/8in. Lots of options. (size #211)

Correction: After ordering a bag of size #211 Viton o-rings, #211 is NOT the correct size, they are too small. The 27mm must refer to the ID not the OD.

Last edited:
follow up

I did a little 250 mile ride yesterday - up to Cloudcroft, Ruidoso, and back. Zero oil weeping, "fatter" o-ring seems to work well. Now we shall await a long term report. How many miles/months will the o-ring maintain the seal?

I was searching for the stock size 27mm x 3.2mm and not finding anything. So I tried converting the measurements to inches and "voilà"... 1-1/16in by 1/8in. Lots of options. (size #211)

One must use only METRIC parts on a BMW. :german
A 1/2 inch wrench could conceivably be used instead of a 13 mm, but this would upset the balance of the entire universe.

Back