• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Odd front brake behavior 2014 GSA

HippyGSrider

Whenever it was cold this fall, my 2014 R1200GSA's front brake lever would initially feel normal on start up then, once moving and the abs light went out, the lever would feel like it was stuck, the abs light would come back on, shortly a few seconds later, the lever would sink in to feeling normal, but the abs light would not go off. In the afternoon, when it was warmer, it was fine. Eventually, as the weather remained cold all day, the light would not go off.
A few weeks ago, I replaced both the front and rear pads and changed the fluid. Started moving, abs light went off as it should; however, same thing happened when I applied the front brake (It is was 38 degrees F). The next day, it was 48 degrees and everything worked as it should.
This has me stumped. Any thoughts?

Whenever it was cold this fall, my 2014 R1200GSA's front brake lever would initially feel normal on start up then, once moving and the abs light went out, the lever would feel like it was stuck, the abs light would come back on, shortly a few seconds later, the lever would sink in to feeling normal, but the abs light would not go off. In the afternoon, when it was warmer, it was fine. Eventually, as the weather remained cold all day, the light would not go off.
A few weeks ago, I replaced both the front and rear pads and changed the fluid. Started moving, abs light went off as it should; however, same thing happened when I applied the front brake (It is was 38 degrees F). The next day, it was 48 degrees and everything worked as it should.
This has me stumped. Any thoughts?

Taking the pivot bolt out to partially remove the front brake lever makes for easy cleaning. It could be that the lever action is dirty and sticky. I don't think, though, that a sticky lever might cause the abs light to remain lit.

Good luck!

I can offer no specifics but will offer a general observation. Things expand and contract when temperatures change. So I wonder if something is within tolerance at one temperature and out of tolerance at another temperature?

Back