• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NGK LMAR8D-J Spark Plugs

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
I just bought a set of these NGK LMAR8D-J spark plugs from a local motorcycle accessories dealer, not Amazon. And having seen a couple of YouTube videos about "fake" NGK spark plugs, I had a close look at the ones I bought.

They appeared to be genuine but when doing a resistance measurement of the center electrode, it was an open circuit. :dunno Now I never bothered to ever check this in my well over 50 years of wrenching, but it was one of the tests in the video and those NGK plugs although different from the ones I bought, measured in at 5K ohms (a resistor plug).

I’ve always found testing plugs and wires difficult and or fairly misleading. The real test for plugs and wires (new) seemed to be once installed. :dunno
OM

I’ve always found testing plugs and wires difficult and or fairly misleading. The real test for plugs and wires (new) seemed to be once installed. :dunno
OM
In this VIDEO at 5:11, he is getting consistent readings on the real NGK spark plugs. Then look at the fake ones he does right after them.

Interesting video. The visual “inspection” seems like a good way to do a quick check. I wonder if it’s just the Iridium type of plugs that are counterfeit?
Before “fancy” test equipment, and the ability to understand how to use it, we would test “resistor” plugs by holding a transistor radio tuned to the AM band near the plug/wires and listen to/for changes in interference to the AM radio.
The testing with the VOM does drift back to the discussion on VOM usage and familiarity.
The most key component of the video is the cost difference- to be a signal that something is suspicious.
OM
BTW,
Resistor plugs & caps were originally designed & implemented to combat electrical noise created by cars that interfered with TV & radio reception.

There's a related video regarding fake Denso plugs at
That one has a couple more things to look at.
Just a bit of sniveling re the NGK vid: He might have gotten more consistent readings from the Real plugs by keeping his fingers off of the test leads...

There's a related video regarding fake Denso plugs at
That one has a couple more things to look at.
Just a bit of sniveling re the NGK vid: He might have gotten more consistent readings from the Real plugs by keeping his fingers off of the test leads...
Yes, I noticed that but strange that he would get consistent readings on the genuine spark plugs and readings all over the map on the fake spark plugs.

Anyway, I stopped in at my local BMW dealer to get some maintenance items and while there, I asked to see a genuine BMW/NGK spark plug. Same open circuit reading. Now I have to see how the center electrode is made.

Back