• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Newbie Has Another Question

R

rnolletti

My newly aquired 80' R100RT came with a beautiful Corbin King and Queen that just doesn't fit me. I really want the OEM flat seat. Where would be the best place to buy one?

Ralph Nolletti

I found a reasonably priced OEM seat on Ebay. You could also try the IBMWR.org marketplace as well as the fleamarket on theis site..

Good luck
Russ

are you sure

My newly aquired 80' R100RT came with a beautiful Corbin King and Queen that just doesn't fit me. I really want the OEM flat seat. Where would be the best place to buy one?

Ralph Nolletti

just curious, but have you put in long days on an OEM flat seat? if not, you may think twice about the switch. if you have, and your butt doesn't mind, then just tell me to bugger off.

i went for the dual canyon and i can sit in that seat hours longer.

just curious, but have you put in long days on an OEM flat seat? if not, you may think twice about the switch. if you have, and your butt doesn't mind, then just tell me to bugger off.

I guess it depends on how long a "long day" is. I have the stock bench seat, even with the "wonderful" first aid kit at the front, on my /7 and I do 400 miles...could do 500 miles if necessary. I'm not into marathon sessions...after about 10 hours, it's more than just my butt that's tired. :laugh My goal is 10 hours in the saddle and I usually average around 45 mph. The seat's not the whole limiting factor.

As always, YMMV...

Everyone's bum is different. Mine prefers the stock flat seat. I have tried numerous aftermarket seats and find they just don't fit. Either they are to soft, to wide, to narrow, to this, to that. I like the ability to shift around on the flat stock seat to suit how I feel at the time. Riding in town or on the superslab, I tend to sit more upright, so scoot my butt forward some. When doing the twisties, I can scoot back a bit and feel more in control that way.
So that is why there are different seats, we are all different.
I have found that I can usually get a stock seat from someone on the internet for any of the bikes that I fix up. Then I sell the aftermarket seat and usually come close to breaking even.

:ca

I have tried numerous aftermarket seats and find they just don't fit. Either they are to soft, to wide, to narrow, to this, to that.

:ca

kinda like Goldilocks and the 3 bears.....eventually you'll find one that's just right.
my rotten (literally) stock seat is sitting on the shelf. however, i did like the ability to slide back and forth on the stock seat. i did find though that seemed to splay my legs outwards and thereby creating a pressure point on my upper, inner thigh. it was weird.

Thanks everyone,

I ordered one from Bob's for $416 plus shipping. I figured what the heck, since this is my first BMW I might as well splurge on a new seat. If need be I'll modify it like I did with my Volusia replacing some of the foam with a softer material.

Ralph Nolletti

Hey all; Our R90/6 came with an aftermarket seat that was horrible!! (Not a brand name). Purchased a new (repop?) seat from Boxerworks, and have put @1000 miles on it so far. MUCH better!!! The seat isn't cheap, (if fact I'm embarressed to think how much I spent on this thing!) but it fit right, looks WAY better then most thirty+ year old seats and does a good job of keeping my fat butt from hitting the frame. More then this I cannot ask!!! Vaya con Diios, Dutch

another 2 cents worth

I've had both and frankly I kinda like the oem seat. Yes I'm aware of the "edges." But they don't really seem uncomfortable to me.
But I like being able to shift around to several different positions on the seat. The Corbin doesn't seem to me to allow as much change of position. The longest day I ever put in on the Corbin was about 500 mi. No prob'. The longest on the oem saddle was about 750. No prob'. With a sheepskin pad (and mine was about 18 years old and beat to pee at the time) I didn't have any particular discomfort w the BMW saddle.

I think the back half of the Corbin might be more comfortable for a passenger because that section of the seat is a bit bigger and cushier than on the oem.

26667 hit the nail on the head with the sheepskin seat. I've had fake sheepskin covers from JCWhitney for years, on all my bikes. The biggest advantage is that you don't sweat, and a dry fanny is a happy fanny. Regardless of the miles. I have the stock seat and 80,000 mi.

86 R80RT
76 R75/6

2008 R1200rt

:usa After reading the threads I'm more confused than ever. Some people like OEM seats and some people hate them. At the rally in Houghton MI. I'd say the majority of people had custom seats on their bikes.
My question is when you buy a new car you don't have to go out and buy a new seat because your butt and legs get numb. Why do we as motorcycle drivers except this from BMW or and other motorcycle manufacturer!

One thing you know about the Corbin seats and their ilk: you know you're going to sit in the exact same spot for your whole trip.

Since that's the case, they'd better be REALLY good.

Me, I like to move around a bit.

Seats are like painting your house. Unless you're a professional, every bone in your body will hurt when you've finished. If you ride your bike for a day, you'll be sore, but if you ride your bike on a cross-country trip for a week or two, by the third day or so, you'll be fine with a stock seat. Whether you'll be fine sitting in the same hole for that time period is another question you couldn't pay me to research.

Yes, I gladly accept (that's how it's spelled) BMW's seats and avoid aftermarket hype like the plague it is.

Fits my ass.

On my 2000 R1100RT I kept the original eat and had it recovered and a little padding added to the front to prevent me from sliding forward everytime I hit the brake.

Regarding seat comfort, my opinion may not carry much weight here as this is only my 2nd post, but I happen to own a large sheepskin which I throw over whatever seat I happen to be using and it makes a HUGE difference when you are taking an extended trip especially if you are riding two up. Simple but effective. Cool and comfy. It will literally save your ass. Try it and you'll be a believer.

Back