• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Newbbie help!!

ROBOB100S

Vancouver Wa.
Happy Thanksgiving guys and family,
After reading a article on the swing arm and bent frames, I thought that I would take a look at the output shaft of the transmission.
I have just finished doing the spine lube and all went well, till I move the swing arm back and forth. The output shaft was fine, no rubbing.
In the process I pulled the spines out of the finale drive. The shocks are still installed and thatÔÇÖs about it. Am I in deep do-do?
Do I need to take the output bolts out and reassemble? One more, if IÔÇÖm this deep into this is there anything else I should do.
I have enjoyed very much the time, when I can find it to work on the bike, had real good luck, up to now. Thanks to all the airheads that have gone here and know a way back!
Thanks again-
Rob

Attachments

• opps.jpg
    opps.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 112
Congratulations on a job that looks well done and thought out.

I take it from the pics that:

You have the driveshaft still connected to the transmission?

You undid the 4 bolts, one on each corner of the rear of the transmission and slid it back to lube those splines?

If the answer is yes to both of those, then all you need to do is button it up. You might want to put on some new fuel line, repair and repaint the frame/battery stuff there while it is apart, and check out the clutch throw out mechanism as you put it back together.

When you install the swing arm pins make sure that the spacing between the frame and swingarm are exactly the same. Torque those swing arm nuts to 70lbs..........

Am sure that others will have LOTS more; but for me, you are maybe 3 or 4 hours from being back on the road...............

Proud for YOU...........Dennis

rotate the final drive by the splines at the wheel(by hand) while gently pushing the entire asembly foward and everything should drop back together, an extra hand helping to lift the coupling via the shaft end can help..

Last edited:
Back