• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New to Beemers-funny noise when I first take off?

nadine28

Many years on bikes, but new to my 1994 R1100 GS.
It's got 51,000 miles, Hermy's BMW had just installed new rear main seal, clutch pressure plates, tires battery when I got it.
I told them when they were servicing it, "ANYTHING that looks shady might as well do it now, don't worry about me being ticked with the bill, I want it 100%.
So far it has been a fun bike, a strange feel compared the the Jap and Harley I've stepped off of, but I figure like when I raced off road, from Kawi to KTM, a different "feel".
One thing, a funny noise that has me perplexed.....................
I warm it up in the shop, back it down the ramp to get out, roll it outside the gate (in neutral it's a slight down hill), center stand still warming.
Close tha shop, gate....
Flip the stand up.
When I first take off (the ABS lights are still flashing) I hear a noise.
It reminds me of if the stand wasn't all the way up and the "Tinny" sounding noise of it flipping into place, (I've checked the stands they are up and outta the way), and once I move a few feet it's gone.
I have to think it has something to do with the ABS and the 3 mph thing, but can't be sure.
The noise is gone til I shut it off, start it up (maybe with the stand down, can't be sure-now) and go again????????
ABS something (motor, selnoid, relay??)noise?
It's rolled maybe 10 yards total from where it parked to where I take off in the morning. I don't hear it then.
it's not a drive line noise, motor, (I've been a 4 wheel tech for a LONG time, spun many a wrench on many a bike for many a year).
Any ideas?????? Is it normal?
Joe
So many bikes so few $$:brow

I warm it up in the shop, back it down the ramp to get out, roll it outside the gate (in neutral it's a slight down hill), center stand still warming.

Joe, others answered your question already so I'll chime in on this part. You don't need to warm up an oilhead. Just start it up and go.

Welcome to the the club. You've got a great beemer there. My RS has the same engine.

Normal ABS self test - can be quite a klunk.

Next. BMW advises to start the bike and ride away. No prolonged warm up is required. A minute is not a problem, but don't let it sit and idle for a prolonged period. People catch bikes on fire this way, and in at least one case, the bike, the garage, and then the house.

tanks!:bow
I figured the ABS lights going off at the same time as my"landing gear" noise was the ABS!
My warped mind just had a flash.:nono
Deep inside these bikes are the 2 teeny tiny German techs (Vunder and Bar are my guys names), assigned to each bike.:buds
They do all the stuff you THINK is done electricaly.
At 3 mpg, Vunder cheeks begin to flap by the wind and that's a sign for Bar to reach over and grab the lever that activates the ABS, (actually the entire brake system, but those 2 don't want to tell you it's them with their shoes against the wheels that stop you under 3mph, (poor Bar has to run all the way up the frame "tunnel" to the front wheel. If you listen REAL careful you can hear his foot steps in the frame, Ya know, that's where they got the person running noise on "Pink Floyd's" "Dark Sdie of the Moon").
The "clunk" you hear is Bar shifting the lever forward, (picture the levers like on a steam locomotive), hitting the back of Vunders CHROME helmet. (after all it is close quarters under the seat)
And that my friend is the sound I hear, the lever hitting Vunder's helmet, thus engaging the ABS! (which really works by Vunder and Bar turning spickets on/off when you hit the binders. If you listen you can hear SCREAMING comming from them when the ABS is pulsing, it's just drown out by your scream!
Next time I'll explain what REALLY happens with fuel injected! Speaking of injection.........
Now that I think about it, I DON'T need to warm up a fuel injected motor, guess I'm just used to the cold blooded Ultra I had and my KLR. (I think it's that "choke" lever on the grip that has the 2 remaining brain cells confused)! (Plus I think the sound of this motor is WAY cool!:heart
So far I'm lovin life on it, now if it'd only stay above freezing in the morning, so I don't have to worry about ice on the road I'll start livin' on it!
Joe
To me bikes are like being in a buffet! There are SOOOOO many ones to try out there, it hard to stay with one, but the GS, well maybe.......:clap

Yup, normal ABS "clunk/cycling pump test". It'll do that on every first start when the ABS has gotten the speed sensor information/test cycle confirmed. Also be aware it will do this randomly after coming to a stop after riding some distance. No big deal, normal operation. It will also do an ABS cycle test if you go over a bump, like a quick short 1" "drop bump" while on the rear brake. The ABS senses a sudden speed difference between the front to rear tire and cycles the ABS system. It happens more often than you think it would. Again, this is all nornal for the ABS system generation on your bike, same as on my 94 R1100RS.

Yup, like Paul said, NO warm up needed. That these bikes need any warmup is a fallicy or old habits from other bikes carried over to the Oilhead, before being familiar with a BMW. I never even start my RS until I am sitting on it ready to leave, all geared up and ready to ride. I have done this for all 17 years with my 94 RS, in weather from 15 degrees to 100 degrees, and I have no issues with the bike.

Maybe 30 seconds from initial crank over to tapping the gearshift into 1st is about the "warm up" needed, just enough to establish oil pressure/distribution. If your bike is properly maintained the excellant engine management systems will give you the same throttle control and response after 30 seconds of running versus five mintues of warmup.

By your description, "I warm it up in the shop, back it down the ramp to get out, roll it outside the gate (in neutral it's a slight down hill), center stand still warming. Close the shop, gate....Flip the stand up", sounds like it could be five minutes, which is FAR more than ever necessary for any Oilhead. My old Hondas (cold blooded/lean running beasts) would take three to five minutes of choke fiddling/high RPMs before I could ride off. Not my BMWs, start - oil light off - 1st gear - GO!

ABS and weak battery issue

Shortly after I got my first "modern" BMW (and I knew what the noise was) it didn't make it every time and the ABS lights kept blinking on and off. A BMW mech told me that my battery might be a little weak. Yep, that was it. HJust passing this tidbit along. If my battery is a little low I don't get the ABS engagement.
Enjoy.

Back