• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New RT picked up today!i

motodan

It was a "cool" 34 degrees as I started my 130 mile journey to the dealer this morning. That snow flake icon kept flashing at me from my '13 RT's bank of gauges for the first 60 miles. The sun never really came out as promised, but I made it. I tell ya, my 65 year old joints do not like 34 degree weather, especially at 75 miles per hour. Anyway, got there and the Quartz Blue '14 was waiting. So the ride home evaluation...

Rode the entire distance home with ESA in one helmet/one luggage and road selections. I'm no suspension geek so I found the number of options available more then adequate and bike confidence inspiring. It was 45 to 50 degrees going home, but fired up the 5 level grips for some heat...five bars is on par with high setting on the '13. Weather coverage wise I thought this fairing gave me a little more coverage on my feet than the '13 did. Otherwise about equal with the '13.

The throttle is certainly sensitive...there's not much, if any, lag in the system. Took a few miles adjusting to the throttle/clutch interaction, but I thought an improvement over '13. I didn't exceed 5K rpm, but fueling seemed even smoother than the '13. I'm sure the power is there, it certainly sounds and feels stronger at all points used...thus far. Did note the '13 at 4,000 RPM did 75/76 MPH. The '14, at 4,000 RPM is doing 73.

I found the controls fairly intuitive. One thing I consider a step backwards, is turning on the grips or seat heat. On '13 you just push an easy to see button for activation. Now '14 requires a Menu button push (multiple times) to the grips and seat separately and then spin the wheel to the level of heat desired. Don't think the extra steps makes for an improvement.

Kick stand is more difficult to reach. Its "lowering peg" sits in front of the foot peg now and not as easy to activate. Seating position doesn't seem much different to me, at least with seat in lower position. I'm 5'10'' with a 30" inseam and I was pretty much flat-footed. Not sure seat is an improvement, but I didn't mind the '13's stock seat so...

I varied speeds and shifted quite a bit with good half throttle or tad more and averaged 46 MPG. I was in the 65 to 80 MPH range for second half of trip. More stop/go and 45/50 MPH in first half. Temp gauge sat at 5 bars throughout the trip. Filled up when I got home and the red/orange plastic/rubber insert in the fueling neck on my '13, is now black on '14...in the shade at least, it wasn't as easy to see in that filler area.

Dealer activated SAT radio while we went over the bike. I told him of some static on forums regarding SAT people balking at setting up the BMW one-year "free" subscription, but he's never encountered a problem.

Given the no valve check (12,000 mile service intervals), no injector sync, no transmission fluid changes service cost might be lower over all. The 600 mile check amounts to an oil and filter change and once over inspection...so hopefully it will be reasonable. Mine is free as part of the purchase, but dealer said that it's about $150.00 now.

Only two metal keys this time (no plastic third), but key is a little classier with an aluminum highlight and tiny Roundel on the head.

One last item, while no high rpm overly heated exhaust yet, the exhaust (chromed stainless) has yet to start bluing or even yellowing at this early juncture. All the BMW's I've owned, with chromed exhaust headers have always started to tint right off the bat. Time will tell if there's something different going on here, due to water-cooling or whatever.

That's all for now as NCAA beckons and I need to get under a blanket on the sofa.

Attachments

• 2014RTHome.jpg
    2014RTHome.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
nice write up. thanks for taking the time to give us your "first impressions".

Let us know when you feel like another impression is worth writing about.

Good on you
Just picked up my black one this morning.
Of course it had to rain, so instead of taking it through the mountains for early run in period, I ended up riding her home in "rain mode":blush
Oh well...maybe tomorrow will be a better day for riding.
In regards to the sidestand access.
Get used to turn your left foot 90 degrees to the left of the bike for deployment. So between the foot peg and the gear selector.
Seems a bit awkward but I think we will get used to it fairly quick.

Enjoy, I'll just keep my CF body, CF wheels, R1200S. I have heated grips, ABS, Remus TI exhaust, great Magnum Nautilus horn, great LED tail and rear signals, BMW tank bag, and when I need them saddlebags.

Enjoy, I'll just keep my CF body, CF wheels, R1200S. I have heated grips, ABS, Remus TI exhaust, great Magnum Nautilus horn, great LED tail and rear signals, BMW tank bag, and when I need them saddlebags.

My old body would not be comfortable sitting on that machine, but nice looking bike.

Informative report. Thanks. I have a low mile 2012 that I picked up for $16K at the end of last year and I debated waiting for a 2014 at that time, but mine already had all the goodies and extras so the diff would have been about $8K to go with a 2014 and add the nav, leather seating, top box, etc.. Might do it in 2-3 years. I do love the Quartz Blue on yours. Enjoy!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How long did you have the '13 and how many miles did you ride it? I will be very interested in seeing your comments after you have put some serious miles on the '14.

In Sept when I bought my '13 I debated whether to wait on the '14. Obviously, I didn't wait. I am glad I didn't as I rode somewhere around 15,000 miles before I would have been able to get the '14.

(I had to buy something as my Road Glide was in serious trouble, so it was buy something or not ride at all.)

BTW. Congratulations on the new bike. I wish I had bought a BMW when I was as young as you!:banghead

Very good looking bike and thanks for the informative report. Pictures are nice but they don't nearly compare to a well written, informative report.

How long did you have the '13 and how many miles did you ride it? I will be very interested in seeing your comments after you have put some serious miles on the '14.

In Sept when I bought my '13 I debated whether to wait on the '14. Obviously, I didn't wait. I am glad I didn't as I rode somewhere around 15,000 miles before I would have been able to get the '14.

(I had to buy something as my Road Glide was in serious trouble, so it was buy something or not ride at all.)

BTW. Congratulations on the new bike. I wish I had bought a BMW when I was as young as you!:banghead

I did not have many miles on the '13 (just over 2,000). However, I've owned a number of RTs being the mechanical whore that I am. You are correct, it will take some miles to get a valid read on this new rendition.

Back