• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member from Ketchikan,Alaska

gertiektn

Hello all,

I live in Ketchikan, Alaska and after a 28 year drop out of the motorcycle world, I am back. I recently purchased a R 75/7 and it is currently in Denver, CO. I plan to bring it the Alaska in early October and restore it to pristine condition.

I recently did a partial restoration of a 1960 R 50 which I keep here in Ketchikan. I ride it only occasionally and in only dry weather. The R50 is nearly 50 years old and I do pamper it. I don't ride it in the rain and I don't ride it hard.

I wanted a beemer tourer, so I picked up the 75/7 for some longer planned rides, the "Cassiar" and "Yellowknife" in the next couple of years.

I have owned the R50 mostly in a box since 1998 and could never find the time to finish it.. I got the bug last winter and pulled it all together and brought it back to life on April 24, 2009. Once I got it all tuned up, it is sooo sweet to ride.

By way of history, I used to live in WA state and I bought a new 1976 R90S and toured most of Washington, Montana, Oregon, and British Columbia. I took a job in Ketchikan, Alaska and on an island and took up sailing and put the motorcycle thing away. (sob, I sold it, and have regretted it since)

What spurred me back to the fold was my son, who wants to do some touring......(he has a Buell and is becoming a BMW fan) my 75/7 is at his house, so I am back. It will not be at his house for long though.

I also own (in Denver) an obscure 1982 Yamaha that is quite similar the the BMW... it is a Vision XZ550. It a 2 cyl, water cooled, shaft drive, monoshock 550 (60hp) that is fully faired. Another, impulse buy.

Heaven forbid 3 bikes, one to polish and look at, and 2 to ride. One in Denver and two in Ketchikan. I am fortunate that I have an accomodating mate.

I have live on an island with about 50 miles of road, and a lot of rain, so long rides have to be by ferry trip to Haines, or Prince Rupert or Seattle. I am looking forward to doing just that.

By professsion, I am a semi retired Financial Planner. I am looking forward to continue to Sail, Ride, and Ski till further notice, and work a little too.

Jim Dahl
Ketchikan, Alaska

Jim - welcome to the forum and the MOA!

Wow - what a collection of bikes!

You should post pictures of them, especially the restored one.

This forum is full of information and freindly folks.

Come back often and post on your new restoration project process.

Regards,

Luis

Welcome from another bike riding sailor! Glad to have you here.

Lucky guy to have 3 bikes. Gonna ride the new one home in Oct?

Enjoy the time spent with your son as they become priceless memories over time.

Hi, Jim. Welcome aboard.

Ever since my sister, Kathy, and her veterinarian husband lived in Ketchikan, I've wanted to visit your part of the world. I think sailing up the inside passage would be a blast.

Tom

Hi ho Jim. Good to have you. I'd best not go on a vacation to Alaska as I may stay as you did! You have a wonderful life.
James

Yes, I am indeed fortunate.. I live in a beautiful place and have good health to enjoy my passions..

Our "Boxer" dog, Dempsey, has a very good vet in Dan.

My son is addicted to boxer engines. He has a Westy VW campervan, a Porche 911, Subaru WRX, and Trebica. Am trying to ween him off the Buell xBr9.

I have always liked Boxers.

Thanks I will visit regularly and will post pics of the restoration of the 'Gertie' 75/7.
Am riding it from Denver to Seattle in late September and bringing it home via Alaska Ferry System starting in Bellingham, WA to Ketchikan, AK.

Thanks for your interest.

Jim Dahl

Best to ya;

I have the big brother R100/7 since new. Great bikes in our /7 series. Your 750/7 is a rare bird too. I'm also a sailor out of MontereyCA., but just recently sold my sailboat last year. Its missed:(. I tour a lot now and its a wonderful time out there, so best to you doing the same. Randy:)

Welcome aboard Jim:

Just about anything/everything you need to know about getting those bikes on the road can be found here.

Have never been to your part of Alaska but look forward to seeing Ketchikan when you post some pictures of Alaska and your bikes.

Paul

well, I did the ride from Denver to Seattle and ferry from Bellingham to Ketchikan.
I had to replace the clutch actuator bearing and rebuilt the carbs and added new rubber and rode away. No problem all the way, until I got on the Ferry and we strapped Gertie down,and the engine mount gave way, then the Brown Side stand failed.
No real damage, I only live 3miles from the ferry terminal. I took the bike home and put it in the basement.. i
t is now in pieces with the plan to have it on the road in April. Engine is out and tranny is with a tranny guy, I have loads of new parts.

Right now, am fighting a stuck fork tree, but I will figure that out after Christmas.

I have lots of pictures and will start a thread on my project. I will be putting in some serious time on this in Feb, March and April.

I have recieved a lot of help form this site and I appreciate it. I also would like to get a club chapter started in Ketchikan, it there is enought interest.

Jim Dahl
Ketchikan, Alaska.

Back