• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Airhead

Valve Covers

First I must applaude you on your great posts!
Wonderfull detailed pics!

From your pictures you have your valve covers on the wrong side, they are marked L & R and the fins sould be horizontal.

please don't take it the wrong way , you are doing a great job!

Keep it up!

Kurt,

Double check your left side airbox cover installation. Looks like you may have missed the clip. I'm seeing some daylight in-between the cover and engine housing. It's a PIA.

Very nice Kurt!

Is today the day?

-Mike V.

Double check your left side airbox cover installation. Looks like you may have missed the clip.

the guy has the eyes of an eagle...

edit - BTW, from whom, where, and how did you get a throttle assembly in two days... ?

Attachments

• air box - gap.JPG
    air box - gap.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Exciting! What's the bolt/screw for that sticks out the side of the oil pan?

That's the oil temp pickup...I disconnected it, because the PO had a oil temp and oil pressure gage in the bikini fairing that replaced the voltmeter/clock..

Kurt,

Double check your left side airbox cover installation. Looks like you may have missed the clip. I'm seeing some daylight in-between the cover and engine housing. It's a PIA.

Very nice Kurt!

Is today the day?

-Mike V.

Nope....Too rainy! I am going to go get fresh gas today though..I need to probably drain some oil too. According to the Mac website, that extended oil pan should provide over 2 more quarts to the system, resulting in a 4.4qt total for my bike, yes? After putting 3.4 quarts in, my oil dipstick is off the charts! Marc thinks it's because my stand is not level (the level bubble goes all the way to the left if you put a level on my M/C stand), but once she's on level ground, I still think there's too much oil in the bike. It's a mystery to me...it should take 4.4 quarts, yes?
Anyway, thanks for seeing the airbox clip issue...the truth is I didn't miss it..it's such a PIA I deliberately left it off...
You know, this whole thing about Bavarian engineering? I don't get it yet. There have been way too many "why the F#$@ did they do it that way?" moments during this restoration project...ha hah...
Off to BMW today.
I have to get standard mirrors, because the end mirrors I got will end up rubbing the end of the throttle grip.. Also need to find instrument brackets for my voltmeter and clock...those little items are MIA after all these months!

the guy has the eyes of an eagle...

edit - BTW, from whom, where, and how did you get a throttle assembly in two days... ?

BMW of San Diego had both items in stock, and their prices were cheaper than Hucky's, since there was no shipping.

Anyway, thanks for seeing the airbox clip issue...the truth is I didn't miss it..it's such a PIA I deliberately left it off...
You know, this whole thing about Bavarian engineering? I don't get it yet. There have been way too many "why the F#$@ did they do it that way?" moments during this restoration project...ha hah...

Kurt, I would suggest getting that airbox cover clip back on. It's really the only thing securing it to the engine case outside of the long fillister head screw that connects the two halves. It's a bit tricky but if you hold your mouth just right...

-Mike V.

Mac oil pan (courtesy of Anton's website)

mac.JPG

You can get another 2.4 quarters into that? Sheesh...seems hard to do...

I've got that same deep pan on my bike and I think it gives you about one more quart.

When I change the oil and filter, it takes just a little more than three quarts to get to the mid point on the dipstick (midway between the marks). My bike seems to like that point.

Regards,

Barron

Mac Oil pan

Thanks Barron and Kurt.....I think you're right: the website might be referring to a new model or something, and one extra quart looks and sounds about right. No problem..
The bike is off the stand, everyone...I still need to maybe re-route some of the lines around the triple tree and just get a good feel for how the bike is put together...
Before the test ride:
1) adjust the eccentric pin on the front brake using that magic marker technique on the brake disc..
2) drain the extra oil.
3) re-route the handlebar control wires so they don't get pinched between the tank and the tripletree.
4) install the front turn signals.
5) Install mirrors. Looking for new regular mirrors instead of the bar end mirrors, because I would have to cut into the stock grips..Has anyone out there done that? Will try to get some pictures up..
6) Finally...get the bikini fairing on. tested the harness for the clock and voltmeter, and they work..
Almost there!

Kurt, I would suggest getting that airbox cover clip back on. It's really the only thing securing it to the engine case outside of the long fillister head screw that connects the two halves. It's a bit tricky but if you hold your mouth just right...

-Mike V.

Will do, Mike! Thanks again. Get over here one day would ya? With your bum knee and my sprained ankle, we'd make quite a handicapped team!
K

Will do, Mike! Thanks again. Get over here one day would ya? With your bum knee and my sprained ankle, we'd make quite a handicapped team!
K

I have some work to do on the 650 this morning...how about I drop by later today? Fire it up!

-Mike V.

Hi, Kurt,
It's a beautiful bike! I've had 7 airheads and the only time mine were that clean was when I took them out of the dealers' showrooms! But if the bike is an R100/7, why does it have the flat-top carbs? I thought they were only on the R80/7 bikes. I have not read all 18 pages of the thread, so if the question has already been answered, tell me and I'll find it.

Phil,
Good question - I'm no expert on the subject but Kurt's VIN is only a few spots off my 78 R100/7's VIN and I have the flat-top Bings also. I purchased my bike new in 78 it was called a Special Edition with snowflakes, single front disc brake, dual Fiamm horns, black valve covers, luggage rack and metalic paint, along with the 32mm flat-top Bings. Although the flat-tops have gotten a bit of bad press, I've had extremely good luck with them and no problems at all. The only difference with the flat-tops vs the dome carbs that I'm aware of is the diaphrgm is pressed on with a plastic ring collar instead of the retainer ring with screws on the dome and the flat-tops have no diaphragm spring. Not sure if it was an EPA emissions thing or not. There may be a lot of people that may chime in with better, more accurate information.

Don't mean to detour the thread...

Attachments

• 7-04-10 78 R100 002.jpg
    7-04-10 78 R100 002.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 208
But if the bike is an R100/7, why does it have the flat-top carbs? I thought they were only on the R80/7 bikes.

The flat top, according to the Bing book, is Type 64-2. The book indicates it was used on the R45 (N and S), R80, R65US, R100/7, R80US, and R90/6...carbs with the 2xx numbers. Further down the table, those same models also got the Type 64-3. My R100/7 is just the Type 64 carb...numbers on the side are 19/20.

Back