• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need paint code

bradsnodgrass

I damaged my right knee guard panel on my 2021 R1250 RT. The Indianapolis BMW dealer can not figure this out nor can BMW North America. The unpainted part is 46 63 9 444 046. The color is "Mineral Gray Metallic Matte". Does anyone know what this paint code is? Or does anyone have a contact email for BMW Germany? BMW NA suggested I contact other BMW dealers in the mid-west to see if they knew how to deal with damaged plastic parts. Currently Tom Wood Powersports in Indianapolis IN is informing anyone with damage to there motorcycles that the factory does not provide painted parts and they can only be had in the raw injection molded plastic and you are on your own to figure out how to get them painted....or jus ride around with a damaged or unpainted bike parts.

If you can find a local commercial auto paint supplier and bring a painted piece of the bike I believe that they can match the paint using a computer matching tool like Home Depot does for house paint. A couple of years ago I had my side covers painted and the body shop I used did this to match the paint. Came out an exact match to the rest of the body on a blue 2012 RT. It wasn't cheap but did work. Might not be worth it for a single small part though, unless you can just buy the paint and figure out how to do it yourself. Be prepared for sticker shock, auto paint these days is outrageously expensive.

... The color is "Mineral Gray Metallic Matte". ...

Mineral Grey (Grau) Metallic is a standard BMW paint color, Code B39.

There is another similar color, Frozen Grey Matte Metallic, Code U83.

Achieving the matte finish can be accomplished by choosing the correct clear coat. BMW uses a special matte finish clear coat on a couple of their colors.

Cap

Has the dealer submitted a DCS inquiry using the last 7 digits of you VIN number? The information can usually be obtained their.
I damaged my right knee guard panel on my 2021 R1250 RT. The Indianapolis BMW dealer can not figure this out nor can BMW North America. The unpainted part is 46 63 9 444 046. The color is "Mineral Gray Metallic Matte". Does anyone know what this paint code is? Or does anyone have a contact email for BMW Germany? BMW NA suggested I contact other BMW dealers in the mid-west to see if they knew how to deal with damaged plastic parts. Currently Tom Wood Powersports in Indianapolis IN is informing anyone with damage to there motorcycles that the factory does not provide painted parts and they can only be had in the raw injection molded plastic and you are on your own to figure out how to get them painted....or jus ride around with a damaged or unpainted bike parts.

The dealer in Indianapolis IN, although nice guys that try hard have had no training from BMW what so ever. Anything more that an oil change and they have to learn as they go. I will ask them about this and see what they say.

The dealer in Indianapolis IN, although nice guys that try hard have had no training from BMW what so ever. Anything more that an oil change and they have to learn as they go. I will ask them about this and see what they say.

If you trust me with the last 7 of your VIN, I would be happy to help.

If you can find a local commercial auto paint supplier and bring a painted piece of the bike I believe that they can match the paint using a computer matching tool like Home Depot does for house paint. A couple of years ago I had my side covers painted and the body shop I used did this to match the paint. Came out an exact match to the rest of the body on a blue 2012 RT. It wasn't cheap but did work. Might not be worth it for a single small part though, unless you can just buy the paint and figure out how to do it yourself. Be prepared for sticker shock, auto paint these days is outrageously expensive.

You can buy a relatively inexpensive HVLP gun at the paint store. Most decent compressors will supply enough air. Practice a bit on some scrap. Not hard to come up with decent results on a small piece.

Painted plastic parts are available - albeit at very high prices. I had to replace one of the Racing Blue Metallic (with decal) painted parts of a side case and its list price was over $600. Seems a little strange your dealer couldn't find the part # for your bike.

The unpainted part is 46 63 9 444 046. The color is "Mineral Gray Metallic Matte". Does anyone know what this paint code is? .

I can see the part on the MAX BMW parts fiche.

part# 46 63 9 444 046 KNEE GUARD, RIGHT - MINERAL GREY 1 $480.93
FOR VEHICLES WITH
MINERAL GRAY, METALLIC MATT (CODE: WN3G)

ALTERNATIVE PRIMER-COATED PARTS ARE TO
BE FOUND IN UNIFIED PARTS GROUP 46

part # 46 63 8 533 570 KNEE GUARD, PRIMED, RIGHT 1.22 1 $320.65

Back