• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need help with setting up an inexpensive GPS for a 2012 RT.

wvpc

Help please...

I am a GPS nube at this time. I am thinking of adding my first GPS setup to my RT (but still be able to swap it into my cars).

First the mount for the RT. I am thinking of going with the Wunderlich mount for $129. http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1200RT/8600887-888.html

My costs need to stay low and it looks like a nice unit. The mount, wire connector and cheap 5" $120 GPS (Garmin 2595) would come via Amazon. These three items I need help researching.

What mount and connector wire works best for the least amount of money?

I am not worried about a waterproof GPS at this time because at some point I will get a cycle specific GPS. I just wanted to get started now and work my way forward for the least amount.

Any input would be appreciated.

If you have an accessory shelf, you could save $124 by bending a piece of 2" aluminum flat stock into a right angle, and putting your GPS mount on that.

For something a bit cleaner, if you have a location you could securely mount a RAM ball base, that plus an arm and a mount for the rear of your GPS would still probably come out to half the cost of the Wunderlich mount.

Edit: OK, under "More views" I see how the Wunderlich works on the newer RTs. There probably isn't a non-destructive way to duplicate that mounting position with flat stock or standard RAM parts. If cost is the main driver, you could look at mounts using the bar mount screws or the mirror mount points, but those wouldn't locate it front-and-center like that.

Last edited:
+1

I used a thru bolt ram mount which replaced one of the handlebar mounting screws, an extension arm and corresponding mount for my Garmin. Cheap, easily removed and looks clean.

Honestly I don't use the GPS on the bike that often so I wanted something as simple as possible

Back