• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Just bought new BMW and Navigator VI GPS. I love the bike, HATE the GPS! HELP!!!

dans1653

I have been using a Zumo 660 for a long time and never had a problem creating routes using an online site called MyRoute-app. The site is easy to use and the routes that I created my GPS always followed seamlessly.

I am the happy owner of a 2019 s1000XR and since it came wired for GPS, I bought the new BMW Navigator VI GPS. And I can't seem to get it to work properly.

This morning I created using MyRoute-app (and using HERE map format) a simple 30 mile route around Chicago with 8 waypoints. The route was successfully downloaded to my Navigator VI. Then I set out on my ride. The GPS purple line that normally shows you your route was only connecting the waypoints. It was not giving me turn by turn instructions. The only information shown was to drive to the next waypoint.

Every other route I have ever created, I simply exported it into my 660 and away I went. I know the new GPS uses "TripPlanner", that my old 660 does not have, but it should not make is more difficult to create, export and follow routes. I have never used tracks before, and again, never needed to.

I clearly am either doing something wrong in creating the route using MyRoute, my GPS settings are wrong, or I have a faulty GPS.

I hope I have given enough information for someone to help me use this GPS. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!
We have some members that are a wiz with those units. I’m sure they will be by to lend a hand.
After a while, I’ll move this to the Gear section. You can give the “Tag Cloud” a try while you have a minute.
Enjoy.
Gary

Thank you Gary. It's so frustrating! I was using the old GPS just fine. Hopefully I can get this sorted out.
I just added a tag. Thank you.

I was not familiar with myrouteapp, so I signed up and made a couple routes (and tracks). I also ended up with a "routes" consisting of straight lines connecting waypoints. Without examining the .gpx file in great detail, I suspect that myroute app is not building the route portion of the .gpx files in the way that Garmin expects. Even the video tutorial suggests loading a track on the Garmin and then telling the GPS to create the route. That works, sort of, since it will give you turn-by-turn directions, but none of your waypoints will be announced as you approach.

I find that Furkot does a good job planning routes online, while Garmin's Basecamp is my main route creator and database.

Check out Rever.com

I have been using a Zumo 660 for a long time and never had a problem creating routes using an online site called MyRoute-app. The site is easy to use and the routes that I created my GPS always followed seamlessly.

I am the happy owner of a 2019 s1000XR and since it came wired for GPS, I bought the new BMW Navigator VI GPS. And I can't seem to get it to work properly.

This morning I created using MyRoute-app (and using HERE map format) a simple 30 mile route around Chicago with 8 waypoints. The route was successfully downloaded to my Navigator VI. Then I set out on my ride. The GPS purple line that normally shows you your route was only connecting the waypoints. It was not giving me turn by turn instructions. The only information shown was to drive to the next waypoint.

Every other route I have ever created, I simply exported it into my 660 and away I went. I know the new GPS uses "TripPlanner", that my old 660 does not have, but it should not make is more difficult to create, export and follow routes. I have never used tracks before, and again, never needed to.

I clearly am either doing something wrong in creating the route using MyRoute, my GPS settings are wrong, or I have a faulty GPS.

I hope I have given enough information for someone to help me use this GPS. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Well I feel your pain. The beauty of the Nav is that it interfaces with the BMW hardware. I became frustrated with the Garmin software and sort of fell into Rever when they first got going and been using them for adventure planning ever since. Take a look if you've got a moment. Maybe it will be the magic that works for you.

Thank you Larry. This is what is happening with me. When I tried to follow the route created on MyRoute-app just connected the waypoints in straight lines and provided no turn by turn directions. What does not make any sense is that MyRoute-app is used by many people, and I assume many of those people are using a GPS that has trip planner. So you would think they would have addressed this issue. I will look at Furkot.

I was able to get my GPS to follow a route successfully today. I converted a track to a route. I wish the new GPS was a simple as my old 660, but I will get used to it. Thanks for your help. -Dan

Using the Garmin Basecamp program with your BMW Navigator (GARMIN) GPS will provide you with lots of easy options to plan routes. There is a learning curve to Basecamp, but once that is over it is quite capable.

I was able to get my GPS to follow a route successfully today. I converted a track to a route. I wish the new GPS was a simple as my old 660, but I will get used to it. Thanks for your help. -Dan

Did this solve your problem then? Otherwise I was going to suggest checking your navigation settings. If the navigation is set to off road mode that can result in it just plotting a straight line between you and your destination. I do not recall the exact menu wording without my Nav V in front of me but that is the gist of it.

I also had an issue with an online mapping program (Mapquest or Google, I think) where I had to convert all my waypoints to “route stops” to get the Garmin to route to them correctly. Took me forever to figure that one out.

These things always have a learning curve. I love my Nav V and it works like a charm now that I’ve had some experience with it. Keep at it and good luck!

Back