• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need HELP picking bike

J

joshjosh

I've only been riding four about five years. My previous 1975 Honda CB360T just died and I need a new bike. I really love the 1970's R-series bikes, but I have some problems:

(1) One of my main problems with my old Honda is that it was in the shop every three months (I rode to work in the winter in Chicago when possible), so am I making a mistake getting another old bike that might prove unreliable? Is a $4,000-$5,000 1970s BMW inherently more reliable than an old Honda? I'm simply not mechnically included, although I'd like to learn how to maintain whatever bike I buy in the future.

(2) Which bike to buy? I have a line on a 1976 R60/6 (blue) that's a beauty and a 1972 R75/5 toaster tank. Both from BMW shops in different states, so I'll have to ship without test riding. I just love the old look, flat seat, British bike thing.

(3) Or should I just spend the money and get a new bike? I use it primarily for commuting in Chicago (or errands on the weekend. My wife and I get by in the city with only one car). Again, I'm not a mechanic so reliability is an issue.

Any tips, comments, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Josh

Wow, that's a pretty wide-open question. If not mechanically inclined, and you want a BMW, and you will use it primarily for commuting around Chicago, I suggest you look at a late-model (or left-over new) F650GS with side cases. Should be easy to find one.

my 2c?

dont buy a bike you havent seen in person, heard run, taken for a ride.

these R bikes are generally reliable, if well maintained. there are a few good mechanics still working on them, but usually not at dealerships.

a new bike will have better performance, better brakes, better gas mileage.

"British bike thing." !???! :german

you might like a near new triumph bonneville, easily in your $5k price range

hope that helps

however, getting an older BMW and the Clymers book will begin your path toward becoming a mechanic.

Older BMW's are not hard to work on.

However if you don't have the space or time to do maintenance, the FG650 is a great idea. If my K75 ever wears out, the 800 may be the thing... but that will be a few years I hope.

http://penforhire.wordpress.com/ is a great blog started by a guy that restored his fathers /5. He didn't have a lot of mechanical skill, but that didn't stop him from learning.

My 2 cents...

You've stated a couple of times that you're not a mechanic and that reliability is a desired trait.

If you can find a good airhead that's been maintained, you'll have a reliable motorcycle. However, you will have some maintenance to keep up with, they're far from maintenance free. If you treat them right, they'll treat you right. There are also airheads out there that look great, but may turn out to be a money pit. That's OK, if you don't mind getting it to where it needs to be, but that doesn't seem to be your intent.

I have both a Clymer's and a BMW factory manual. They complement each other quite well. I'm no mechanic either, but frankly, it's not about my skill level, it's about my desire and willingness to tinker. I've reached the stage of my life where I have more money than time. Time is very valuable, so I don't want to spend it working on my commuter vehicle. There are great online resources for airheads, many experienced people right here on these forums.

Seriously, the person that suggested a used F650GS with bags gave good advice. Simple, newer, reliable, great gas mileage. See if you can find one to use as a commuter, then eventually get an airhead, too, for pleasure. Everybody needs more than one motorcycle. ;)

Bnway, didnt mean to offend

When I said "British." I'm new enough to have trouble even describing the aesthetic of the bike I like -- yes, the Triumph Bonneville, et al, the 1970s Honda CBs and the 1970s R series BMWs. sorry

When I said "British." I'm new enough to have trouble even describing the aesthetic of the bike I like -- yes, the Triumph Bonneville, et al, the 1970s Honda CBs and the 1970s R series BMWs. sorry

It's hard to beat a good, straight old Japanese bike for the money, but working on them vs. an airhead, especially for the non-mechanically minded might prove daunting.

I am reasonably mechanical but not someone who thought he'd ever rebuild a bike. Still its a very good feeling to understand the systems on your ride. I hadn't ridden in 20+ years, bought a 1981 CB750K with 5200 miles on it...still I was intimidated to work on it (inline 4-cyl, 4 carbs, 4 pips, etc.). I rode it for 9 months through the winter, sold it and bought an airhead that'd been sitting in a garage for 8 years. Then I tinkered, got it running reliably (so far) and feel like I'd attempt pretty well anything on the bike mechanically, myself. Clymer's is a good resource as is this forum.

All that said, I too like the F650GS comment for what you describe (nice bike and great mileage at any speed)...but maybe you'll get the airhead bug too and surprise yourself. Out of the gate, I'd say not to rely on an airhead as something you can just jump on and commute unless you are somewhat of a wrench.

There are also airheads out there that look great, but may turn out to be a money pit.

I have to agree with this. I purchased an 88 R100 RT about 4yrs ago. I thought it was a cosmetic fixer. Since purchasing it, I've rebuilt the forks, replaced the head bearings, replaced the front brake rotors, rebuilt the carbs, had the tranny rebuilt, had the final drive rebuilt, had the spring on the driveshaft replaced, replaced the coil, replaced the rear shock, and many other small rubber bits and seals. It took about three years to get the bike to the point where I'm confident about its reliability; however, it does need the time chain replaced.

While I've enjoyed the process of mechanically restoring this bike, I didn't count on having to do this. I have only one bike, when it's down for repairs, it's been frustrating.

Whatever bike you get, make sure the owner has a good maintenance records on the bike.

I've only been riding four about five years. My previous 1975 Honda CB360T just died and I need a new bike. I really love the 1970's R-series bikes, but I have some problems:

(1) One of my main problems with my old Honda is that it was in the shop every three months (I rode to work in the winter in Chicago when possible), so am I making a mistake getting another old bike that might prove unreliable? Is a $4,000-$5,000 1970s BMW inherently more reliable than an old Honda? I'm simply not mechnically included, although I'd like to learn how to maintain whatever bike I buy in the future.

(2) Which bike to buy? I have a line on a 1976 R60/6 (blue) that's a beauty and a 1972 R75/5 toaster tank. Both from BMW shops in different states, so I'll have to ship without test riding. I just love the old look, flat seat, British bike thing.

(3) Or should I just spend the money and get a new bike? I use it primarily for commuting in Chicago (or errands on the weekend. My wife and I get by in the city with only one car). Again, I'm not a mechanic so reliability is an issue.

Any tips, comments, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Josh

If you have more time than money, buy a 70's BMW and learn to wrench.

If you have more money than time, buy a new bike. Warranty will cover most major expenses.

If you have neither a lot of time nor money, a late 80's early 90's Honda will be reliable and not require much of either.

Back