• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need advise on a 05 LT, good buy?

K

Karlanderika

Hey guys just sold my Honda VTX to join the BMW family! I'm about to buy a 05 LT with 22k miles for 9000$! Stereo doesn't work (could that be something serious, common problem?) Now I've very little experience with this bike, is it a good deal? What are the watch outs? I heard they had issues with the final drive shaft at 30k miles? Thanks in advance to all of you! Love this form! Karl

The top box latches are prone to breaking. BMW only sells the latch with the lid. $$$$$

There is someone making reinforcement pieces for pre-broken latches and new redesigned latches for broken ones. Google K1200LT top box latch.

:dance:dance:dance

Hey guys just sold my Honda VTX to join the BMW family! I'm about to buy a 05 LT with 22k miles for 9000$! Stereo doesn't work (could that be something serious, common problem?) Now I've very little experience with this bike, is it a good deal? What are the watch outs? I heard they had issues with the final drive shaft at 30k miles? Thanks in advance to all of you! Love this form! Karl

Stereo, hard to say. Could be as simple as a fuse or as expensive as a new radio.

Hydraulic center stand had failed on some of these, final drives, less than 4% fail and most of these where in the 2002-04 model years.

look at the www.BMWlt.com sight for a wealth of information.

In answer to is it a good deal. Well not a bad price, you can find 2005's listed from $8000-$10,000, so you are in the middle.
Of note 22k miles, the bike is due for a major service at 24k miles and if you have a dealer do it it will not be cheap. I would get a qoute from local dealer and add that into your decision.
I would suggest that at the 24k service or sooner you check the plastic quick disconnects for the gas tank and replace them with metal ones as they have a known failure. Go to here for the trunk latch repair kit. The radio will cost $400 or so to repair if it is the normal power amp failure, look on ebay for replacement to save money. HTH;)

05 lt

Price and miles look good. The issue is condition, condition and condition. Try to get the service history. Just bought an 09 with 6000mi and love it. Good Luck!

Back