• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NAV VI Discontinued

Mount Zumo XT on R1200/1250RT

Bought a Zumo XT for my 2020 RT on the recent discount and planned on using the Italian adapter but found it was out of stock. Has anyone tried mounting an XT on the plastic cover plate for the stock RT Nav setup and then running power to the connector under the plastics (or just USB)? That would allow quick disconnect and cost essentially nothing.

A very good question and idea Zip 50. I hope this thread stays alive and we find a solution to the problematic Nav VI. It seems that Motorad has become a back of the pack customer behind, Cessna, Piper and all the other users. Pilots stand in line at the Garmin vendor booths and it seems we are forgotten. Sad that we do not have a group to go to bat for us. This is similar to the bad cam issue, and no one at the top standing behind the product.
I am pursuing the Italian adapter/direct mount route also, hope someone gets this solved. I will post my thoughts on the "Refresh" unit if it does indeed arrive.

Related question (I haven't read all 10 pages of this so forgive me if it's been covered) Is the Garmin Nav Vi the only unit that'll work in my 2016 R1200rt cradle?

I believe the IV and V will work. V for sure.

Hmmm. I was hoping to go UP not down in Roman Numerals. or maybe fitment with another brand. . My first VI went crazy- the second has been fine but the problems seem widespread. Add to that the fact it'll go on some superslab off ramp entering a large city with a huge ghetto...BTDT.

Hmmm. I was hoping to go UP not down in Roman Numerals. or maybe fitment with another brand. . My first VI went crazy- the second has been fine but the problems seem widespread. Add to that the fact it'll go on some superslab off ramp entering a large city with a huge ghetto...BTDT.

There isn't anything newer from BMW yet, except for the ConnectedRide cradle for a phone. No non-BMW branded nav units will match the cradle.

There isn't anything newer from BMW yet, except for the ConnectedRide cradle for a phone. No non-BMW branded nav units will match the cradle.

There IS this option to mount the ZumoXT to the BMW Nav Prep, tho I’ve not ordered or tried one:
https://www.adapter3dmotorrad.it/

If my replacement Nav VI goes south then I’m likely to switch to the ZumoXT and try the adapter.

Best,
DeVern

A very good question and idea Zip 50. I hope this thread stays alive and we find a solution to the problematic Nav VI. It seems that Motorad has become a back of the pack customer behind, Cessna, Piper and all the other users. Pilots stand in line at the Garmin vendor booths and it seems we are forgotten. Sad that we do not have a group to go to bat for us. This is similar to the bad cam issue, and no one at the top standing behind the product.
I am pursuing the Italian adapter/direct mount route also, hope someone gets this solved. I will post my thoughts on the "Refresh" unit if it does indeed arrive.

Ramble, The Italian adapter, if it is back in stock, is $90 with shipping. The BMW plate (65909457746) is $10, so it seems worth it to sacrifice one to see if I can make it work. I'll take some pictures and post here if it works out.

Ramble, The Italian adapter, if it is back in stock, is $90 with shipping. The BMW plate (65909457746) is $10, so it seems worth it to sacrifice one to see if I can make it work. I'll take some pictures and post here if it works out.

I have a friend that has this setup and works just fine.

Anyone know what the latest Nav VI is called? A dealer today called it the "pro", but unsure if he really knew, the box said Nav VI. Just wondering if there is another way to determine the latest, I did get the other post where it gives the version.

Anyone know what the latest Nav VI is called? A dealer today called it the "pro", but unsure if he really knew, the box said Nav VI. Just wondering if there is another way to determine the latest, I did get the other post where it gives the version.

BMW Part# 77528504069

Definitely still called Navigator VI. I bought one, and that's what it says on the box, and the BMW p/n shown in the post above has "Nav VI (US)" just below it on the label. That's the version without mount. Interestingly, when I took the back off mine to install the battery, the p/n on the inside of the device read: 77 52 8 504 063.

Hardware version 8 verses 7

C69C2782-D3DB-4F7D-A359-711B01198DE1.jpg

I recently returned my sixth replacement for my NAV VI turn around time was less than 24 hours. On the phone I expressed my general malaise regarding the ghosting dilemma. The customer service representative offered to send me a “new” NAV VI verses a refurbished one from Taiwan. I took him up on the offer. When I received it, before I mailed my old one back, I scrolled through the pages and found this hardware version change. Version 8 is different from the five units that proceeded this one. I’ve noticed a few differences in symbology from the previous hardware version but not much.

Fingers crossed let’s hope this one is the final replacement.

I recently returned my sixth replacement for my NAV VI turn around time was less than 24 hours. On the phone I expressed my general malaise regarding the ghosting dilemma. The customer service representative offered to send me a “new” NAV VI verses a refurbished one from Taiwan. I took him up on the offer. When I received it, before I mailed my old one back, I scrolled through the pages and found this hardware version change. Version 8 is different from the five units that proceeded this one. I’ve noticed a few differences in symbology from the previous hardware version but not much.

Fingers crossed let’s hope this one is the final replacement.

Your screenshot on the left matches the version and software numbers on the replacement unit I received a couple weeks ago. I have seen screenshots elsewhere showing hardware V8 and software v10–not sure what the software difference is unless it’s the sw version being run on the new style Nav VI.

Like you, I’m hoping not to see ghosting issues with this one.

Best,
DeVern

On the new (2021 version) Nav VI that I bought last June, it's hardware version V8, and software version 10.0

Nav VI to Zumo XT conversion for R1200RT & R1250RT

The Zumo XT seems more responsive and capable than my Nav VI so I decided to convert. As I mentioned above the Italian adapter is sold out so I spent an hour and installed it using the BMW RT mounting plate. Couldn't have been simpler and can cost nothing. Here's my order of install (it looks worse than it is).

1. Remove the windshield supports (4x #25 Torx) and windshield (2x #25 Torx) and set aside in safe place to avoid scratches.
2. Remove GPS console assembly (2x #25 Torx, 2 black phillips screws/collars, pry upwards).
3. Push the Zumo electrical connector and its rubber cap through the gap in the GPS mount.
IMG_2178D.jpegIMG_2181.jpegIMG_2183D.jpeg
4. Run your wiring to wherever you are going to get power:
a. Use a Y-adapter available from Denali or eBay to the GPS power spigot that is immediately under this cowling. (I already had one connected to the right side power spigot so I tapped into that one.
IMG_2188D.jpeg
b. Use electrical splices to tap into the GPS plug.
c. Run wiring to the battery or power spigot of your choice.
d. power via USB.​
5. Re-assemble the dash in reverse order.
6. Put double stick tape on back of Zumo/mount and press it against the Nav VI plate while it is mounted on the bike to establish position.
7. Release the Nav VI plate and unmount the Zumo from its mount.
8. Mark the hole positions with a sharp pencil and drill four holes the same diameter of the Zumo mount holes.
IMG_2167D.jpegIMG_2169D.jpegIMG_2170D.jpeg
9. Insert the Zumo electrical connector into it’s plate and mount the Zumo plate to the Nav VI plate with the provided screws. I added a few extra stainless #6 washers on either side of the plate.
10. Mount the plate to the BMW Nav base. Mount the Zumo. Voila!
a. Note, to remove the Zumo you’ll need to pop the Nav VI plate off and release the Zumo.​
IMG_2190D.jpegIMG_2191D.jpegIMG_2193D.jpegIMG_2195D.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2178D.jpeg
    IMG_2178D.jpeg
    542.8 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2181.jpeg
    IMG_2181.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_2183D.jpeg
    IMG_2183D.jpeg
    447.3 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
The Zumo XT seems more responsive and capable than my Nav VI so I decided to convert. As I mentioned above the Italian adapter is sold out so I spent an hour and installed it using the BMW RT mounting plate. Couldn't have been simpler and can cost nothing. Here's my order of install (it looks worse than it is).

1. Remove the windshield supports (4x #25 Torx) and windshield (2x #25 Torx) and set aside in safe place to avoid scratches.
2. Remove GPS console assembly (2x #25 Torx, 2 black phillips screws/collars, pry upwards).
3. Push the Zumo electrical connector through the gap in the GPS mount.
View attachment 87324

View attachment 87325

View attachment 87326

4. Run your wiring to wherever you are going to get power:
a. Use a Y-adapter available from Denali or eBay to the GPS power spigot that is immediately under this cowling. (I already had one connected to the right side power spigot so I tapped into that one.
View attachment 87327
b. Use electrical splices to tap into the GPS plug.
c. Run wiring to the battery or power spigot of your choice.​
5. Re-assemble the dash in reverse order.
6. Put double stick tape on back of Zumo/mount and press it against the Nav VI plate while it is mounted on the bike to establish position.
7. Release the Nav VI plate and unmount the Zumo from its mount.
8. Mark the hole positions with a sharp pencil and drill four holes the same diameter of the Zumo mount holes.
View attachment 87328

View attachment 87329

View attachment 87330

9. Insert the Zumo electrical connector into it’s plate and mount the Zumo plate to the Nav VI plate with the provided screws. I added a few extra stainless #6 washers on either side of the plate.
10. Mount the plate to the BMW Nav base. Mount the Zumo. Voila!
a. Note, to remove the Zumo you’ll need to pop the Nav VI plate off and release the Zumo.​
View attachment 87331

View attachment 87332

View attachment 87333

View attachment 87334

Nice job :clap

Thanks for the effort.

Om

NAV repair

I've used this company to repair or just update maps on my Garmin Zumo and Nuvi units.
https://short-tronics-inc.business.site/
https://www.palmdr.com/about
The are the same company.
On my Zumo, I had lifetime maps, but when I would update, I would loose another part of the country.
Short Tronics was able to put the whole country on it.
They also replaced damaged screens on the Zumo and one of the Nuvi's.
Fast turn around and I thought fair prices, not "What will the market Bare" pricing.

Back