• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

National MOA Coffee Mess

uxohavur

Over the last 15 years that I have attended the MOA national rallies, I have heard the problems concerning getting coffee in the morning, like no coffee real early, or come late and there is no coffee or some of the vendors charge way too much or its not hot enough or they ran out of sugar, I could go on.

Why not have the MOA BUY and JATO Blaster gas operated commercial coffee maker and have a committee handle the coffee like any other volunter committee?
Hot water is mainly the issue, and THAT should be the criteria for such a machine. Several spigots to draw coffee from to keep the line moving. Prepare your cup BEFORE you get into the line. Cost per cup, say $.25 to cover costs. FREE if you bring your own cup. Buy sugar by the sack full, coffee by the pallet. Milk and cream from a local COW(tm). Charge $1.00 per thermos, tips are accepted:)

Local clubs in the past have done a great job, but hauling the equipment around is a PITA for some clubs. The MOA has trailers that go to each rally site, throw the JATO Blasters on board and we are good to go. Heck, if the MOA can buy sewing machines and somehow make the beer tent work, why not a coffee machine or two?
ted hall
heifermeister

Over the last 15 years that I have attended the MOA national rallies, I have heard the problems concerning getting coffee in the morning, like no coffee real early, or come late and there is no coffee or some of the vendors charge way too much or its not hot enough or they ran out of sugar, I could go on.

Why not have the MOA BUY and JATO Blaster gas operated commercial coffee maker and have a committee handle the coffee like any other volunter committee?
Hot water is mainly the issue, and THAT should be the criteria for such a machine. Several spigots to draw coffee from to keep the line moving. Prepare your cup BEFORE you get into the line. Cost per cup, say $.25 to cover costs. FREE if you bring your own cup. Buy sugar by the sack full, coffee by the pallet. Milk and cream from a local COW(tm). Charge $1.00 per thermos, tips are accepted:)

Local clubs in the past have done a great job, but hauling the equipment around is a PITA for some clubs. The MOA has trailers that go to each rally site, throw the JATO Blasters on board and we are good to go. Heck, if the MOA can buy sewing machines and somehow make the beer tent work, why not a coffee machine or two?
ted hall
heifermeister

When the Heifermeister talks, listen up! :thumb

I'm more interested in finding a nice cold Mt. Dew in the morning. I just can't drink coffee when the temperature is well above freezing. Can we also have an MOA pop machine that is accessibly 24/7, or maybe an MOA 7-11 open 24 hours on site for all of our late night rally needs? :dunno

Coffee

Give up the fight. Buy the Jetboil Java Press and do it yourself. Beats hell out of fighting line and grumpy people.

Be glad that you were not subjected to the Screaming Coffee Nazi Lady at the Biltmore Food concession at the RA rally who loudly and regularly chastized all those in line that there would be no "free" coffee until 8 AM or after 9AM. Their prices far exceeded those of Starbucks who I consider to be the most expensive and overrated coffee in the world.

Ewww!

I'm more interested in finding a nice cold Mt. Dew in the morning. I just can't drink coffee when the temperature is well above freezing. Can we also have an MOA pop machine that is accessibly 24/7, or maybe an MOA 7-11 open 24 hours on site for all of our late night rally needs? :dunno

Mountain Dew looks like anti-freeze (or worse)! How can you drink that stuff?:sick

I had no problem with the folks who took care of the coffee at West Bend, they did a great job. Of course, I can't sleep worth a rat's patootie in a tent, so I'm up at dawn.

Mountain Dew looks like anti-freeze (or worse)! How can you drink that stuff?:sick

I had no problem with the folks who took care of the coffee at West Bend, they did a great job. Of course, I can't sleep worth a rat's patootie in a tent, so I'm up at dawn.

Early bird gets worm.... and coffee...

West Bend, AND Vermont, had stellar coffee services.

I am still grateful. These people get up BEFORE dawn to make sure I get a FREE cup 'o hot joe. If that's not grounds for sainthood nothing is.

and as we all know.....the heifermeister will definately be 1st in line...:wave

speaking of coffee...

At the BMW MOA.. all coffees were god awfull ..bildge water...taste less sluice. Even the more expensive coffee vendors made horrible coffee. I agree that we should have our own coffee stand and use prepackaged coffee with nothing but spring water (tap water has chlorine and additives).

I just thought of the perfect rally "business". I'm going to haul a trailer to the rally with a Reverse osmosis system and several large boilers. I can then make gourmet coffee for all of the coffee snobs. As a bonus, I'll carry a small refrigerator or cooler with soda for the "others". Then again, I know how cheap some of our members are, so maybe I won't make that fortune, after all... :dunno

And coffee looks like burnt motor oil. :sick

I do my level best to not ingest caffeine so I avoid both beverages. Caffiene gives me a horrible headache. Comes from a serious soda addiction in my earlier years. I used to down about a 12 pack of coca cola a day. Got so bad that at one point I used to have to get up in the middle of the night, chug a coke just so I could go back to sleep. CRAZY.

I would not consider traveling on my motorcycle without my coffee and my brew system. Just the thought makes me shudder. :wave

"We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction". Douglas MacArthur

"He who fights and runs, lives to run another day." a famous pirate.

Sherpa Ted made great coffee! My favorite flavor, free! :thumb

Free for Sherpa customers, mind you! I already have surrounding campers sneaking coffee from me as it is!

It is very difficult to keep up with the Sherpa customer demand on coffee, I can only imagine how tough it is to provide coffee for everyone at the rally. Each of my perc machines takes 15 amps (pretty much one electrical circuit) and takes an hour to perc "101 cup" capacity.

I did purchase a propane powered unit that heats 18 gallons of water, 12 of which can be turned into coffee by "pour over" method. Two months since I ordered and I'm still waiting.

Weighs 100 lbs, almost 250 lbs when filled with water. Will probably burn more than 5 gallons of propane during a rally event.

Also set me back almost $2k, and they are very hard to find.

So, I think it will be unlikely the rally coffee will follow my footsteps in propane or gas powered method. Very expensive, very heavy, and it would take a lot of propane to make it work, when the alternative is to just plug into a bunch of different circuits...

Blows my mind

Every now and then I run across a thread, such as this one, which just blows my mind..............:dunno

Pretty soon there will be a thread bitchin' that the beer wasn't cold enough. :violin
Coffee's bad for you anyways. It blocks the absorption of vitamin B.

For those of you who don't want to ride anywhere to get your coffee, aren't staying with Sherpa Ted, and dislike the rally coffee:

669px-Taster's_Choice_instant_coffee.jpg

Depth charge for me please

I gave up alot of bad things in my life, but a a shot of espresso on top of a thick dark roast in a LARGE cup; I WILL PAY ANYTHING for this after a late night "looking for Pete!"

Good golly miss molly bring in the Caribou! Bring in the starbucks, keep them open early and make sure they are there late, but somebody please, needs to be there early and late and dark to the point the spoon stands up and howls at the moon! What, nobody wants to take our money? Cheap coffee? is weak as texas tea! Bring me the REAL stuff.

I like to motivate and go out looking early to get coffee but also to meet the brothern and look at the bikes so I can stand there sort of glossy eyed sipping my brew and drooling over somebody's R or K or Airhead! it's embarrassing to be caught doing that!

Red

Back