• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My last BMW vehicle

It's good to understand culture differences between USA and Germany.

You missed Japan. I gave the big-three a chance when buying my first new car which was my second car. That lasted 17 months and they never saw me again. My first car, a used 1974 Ford Capri built in Germany was quite reliable; at least it had Bosch electrics over Lucas electrics from the UK version of the same car. After that, it was Toyota, Honda and Acura as daily drivers, with a short stint in a VW diesel till VW bought it back and a BMW (4 years each with the last two, but 16 and 14 years with Toyota and Honda...all trouble-free).

I only had one BMW car, an E36 coupe that I bought new. Unfortunately as a no-money "tech", I could only afford the 1.8L four-cylinder. There is no way the Nissan 240 that I also looked at would drive like the BMW. German cars drive solid and if I had to be in an accident, I'd want to be in a full size BMW, MB or a Swedish Volvo. End of story, although others can have other opinions. Although I remember American automakers opposed the "real world" offset crash tests because it made them look bad.

But as sports cars are concerned, there is no substitute for Porsche. They are toys and obviously do not get the miles my daily drivers get. Both were bought "used" with 42K miles (993) and 98 miles (991.1 GTS) and have been trouble-free. In an accident, I'd sooner be in a Porsche instead of a C8 Corvette based on what I have seen in news reports.

My BMW motorcycles since I first bought them in 1991 have been trouble-free.

Some of you know me from the airheads part of the forum and know my dislike for anything other than BMW airhead bikes. Well, I can say as of today I am finished with ANY BMW vehicle other than said airheads.

Just had the water pump fail on my BMW 335i convertible at 75,000 miles and before that the valve cover warped at 50,000. Makes me believe I am back in time dealing with my grandfather's Rambler. The last two primary vehicles I owned, two Dodges a truck and car both went well over 100,000 miles without this kind of failure and cost a fraction of what this 335 cost new.

If BMW can't build a car that can go 100,000 miles without a major repair, I sure as heck won't be buying one of their bikes anytime soon. They reenforced my long standing belief the post 95 stuff is crap. St.
I've had nothing but good luck with my BMW cars.

E.

I just read a quote by Scott Adams that immediately reminded me of my BMW motorcycle. Cracked me up.
  • "Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."

I just read a quote by Scott Adams that immediately reminded me of my BMW motorcycle. Cracked me up.
  • "Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."
More like, "marketing is having a tough time selling this" in my experience.

Back