• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MPG on 1300GT

moezilla

Velocity Joint
So...Has anyone put enough miles on a 1300GT to get an accurate MPG figure?

I'm about to give up on getting my 07 RT to fit me. I took it in for the 12,000 mile service, and got a 1200GT as a loaner....Sweet! A nice easy lean forward with the bars set to the mid position! I'm seriously thinking of returning to the Dark Side now.

One of the things I would miss about the RT is the great MPG, which normally ranges between 47 to 50 mpg. Just curious what the difference in mileage would be?

So...Has anyone put enough miles on a 1300GT to get an accurate MPG figure?

I'm about to give up on getting my 07 RT to fit me. I took it in for the 12,000 mile service, and got a 1200GT as a loaner....Sweet! A nice easy lean forward with the bars set to the mid position! I'm seriously thinking of returning to the Dark Side now.

One of the things I would miss about the RT is the great MPG, which normally ranges between 47 to 50 mpg. Just curious what the difference in mileage would be?

My brief ownership experience with an '08 GT yielded low to mid 40s when ridden in my ususal fashion.
Call it 42 43 44ish
The RT achieves better in this regard.
The smaller tank on the GT (a gallonish ,as I recall) conspires with the mpg drop to lessen ones range considerably.

I wouldn't expect that an increase in displacement in combination with zero other applicable driveline changes will improve fuel efficiency on the 1300s.
Maybe engine management sofware, if programmed for the goal, could bring an mpg or 2. Don't think the goal here was fuel efficiency. The
1300s make MORE power than the 1200s.

The (never bonded) departed '08 GT did better than my '04 GT, also departed, in the range per tank of fuel department, but not by much. Maybe achieved 40additional miles per tank of fuel. The 2 GTs seemed to be very similar in the mpg department, the '08 had the larger tank, thus the better range.

DMilan
'05RT

Last edited:
Several magazines in Germany tested the K1300GT. One had a tester ride it from Stuttgart to Rome. The fuel consumption varied from 5.8L/100km to 6.3L/100km, which equates to 44.3 MPG to 37.5 MPG. I think the best mileage in the U.S. will be higher as we usually don't run the engine at constant high rpms.

Although not nearly as good as I had hoped, it's not terrible. I guess overall that's not too bad, considering the displacement and HP it puts out. I've talked to a couple Connie 14 owners who said that they would be happy to break 40 mpg at interstate speeds, so for the class it seems on par.

After I posted I found some info from BMW that claims, if my math is correct, 45 mpg @ 55mph, and 40.5 mpg @ 75mph.

Thanks for the replies! I have travel out of the country for the next two weeks, but when I get back, I'm going to head down to Bentonville BMW and see if I can snag a test ride.

K13 mileage

Getting 45 mpg on my K1300GT at 3000 miles and a variety of driving conditions

40MPG on the new GT. Got 42 on the RT. Both do much better if you keep them under 70 MPH.

Don't know if anyone saw the recent MC magazine article comparing the 1300GT and the Kawasaki Concours.

(I get several and at the moment I can't place my hand on it or even remember which magazine it is in)

The comparison wasn't exactly apples to apples since the GT was loaded and the Kaw was not but that isn't important for this forum thread.

Both have 6 speed transmissions. The point that I found interesting is that in 6th gear the GT was running similar revs as the Concours in 4th.

So the BMW is spinning some high engine rpm's just running down the highway. This might account for some of the higher fuel consumption.

But oddly enough the new C1400 does not get great fuel mileage either. Go figure.

A guy at work has a Concurs and I asked him what would he be doing in 6th gear at 5000 rpm, he told me over 100 and in the GT i'm doing 80-85.

:lurk

Great Gas Milage

I just bought a new 08 K1200GT and I've been amazed at the milage I'm getting. I averaged 52 mpg during the breakin period when I was going Interstate speed in 3rd and 4th grears. Now with 1400 miles on the bike I'm gettting closer to 54, but I'm milking it for MPGs.

I just bought a new 08 K1200GT and I've been amazed at the milage I'm getting. I averaged 52 mpg during the breakin period when I was going Interstate speed in 3rd and 4th grears. Now with 1400 miles on the bike I'm gettting closer to 54, but I'm milking it for MPGs.

Wow -- that is great 52!!

I just finished my break in and I am happy with low low 40's?

What's your secret?

I don't know what my trick is. Maybe being in Reno at an altitude of 4500 ft it's running leaner that at sea level? I really don't know but I love it. Just got back from an 80 mile ride on Geiger Grade and back; I was running between 40 and 90 mph in 3rd and 4 gear mostly (4 to 6K RPMs) and my computer said I averaged 51 mpg.

I said something to my mechanic when I took it in for its 600 mile service and he commented that they'd gotten much more fuel efficient in the last few years.:brad

Gas Mileage

I now have 11,900 miles on my 1300GT. The MPG at home in Florida is 42.6. Recently I took a trip across the country and got as high as 54MPG in Colorado, Utah and Nevada. I must also tell you that a fellow rider on an HD also saw these significantly better MPG's. We didn't see the "Ethanol" signs on the pumps and we wondered if that could be the cause of the improvement. As we headed back East and South the MPG's continued to drop and I am back in my 42+ range.

Don S

Mpg

We have ethanol in our gas out here too, so I doubt that's the reason. I bet it is the altitude, Colorado, Utah and Nevada are all three pretty high in elevation. Reno is at 4500, and I usually ride in the moutains where the elevation would be between 4500 and 7000. I used to fly small planes, and I remember I had to lean the mixture more and more the higher I flew; less Os in the air the leaner the mixture.

It will be interesting to see other responses to this thread.

We have ethanol in our gas out here too, so I doubt that's the reason. I bet it is the altitude, Colorado, Utah and Nevada are all three pretty high in elevation. Reno is at 4500, and I usually ride in the moutains where the elevation would be between 4500 and 7000. I used to fly small planes, and I remember I had to lean the mixture more and more the higher I flew; less Os in the air the leaner the mixture.

It will be interesting to see other responses to this thread.

Capt Bruce
I will agree with you on the altitude being the cause of the improved MPG. I never would of guessed that it would be that much of a change- from 42.6 to 54+ is really significant.

Don S

Mpg

I now have about 3500 miles. City driving I'm averaging minimum mid 40s, and on the highway easily mid 50s.
Of course it's all in your driving style and how itching is your throttle hand.

I love this beasty

Well, I realize this question originally posted in April, but I only recently discovered this site.
I picked up my 1300GT in April and averaged 35MPG or so during break in. Now at 6000 miles, It reads 39.2MPG. This is mostly city and maybe 10% freeway, and I would have to say that the gain in MPG is probably more contributable to my increased familiarity with this new beast.
It certainly is a different kind of animal and took me some getting use to.

With ultra powerful cars, the tendency is to drive at close to a steady speed with the throttle on for a hundred yards or so, and then back off to where you are almost coasting for another hundred yards. Your speed doesn't vary much but the throttle is constantly opening and closing. With powerful cars, their mpg will improve quite a bit if you can manage to keep the throttle steady all the time, but it is hard to do! I don't know if this applies to K-Bikes, but it would make sense if it did.

Better Mileage with the K1300GT

Seeing 49 MPG with steady mix of highway and city .... driving "sanely" without passion !

Seeing 45 MPG driving with "said Passion"

Lot's of fun - great economy ...... almost feel guilty :0

My last 3 tank average was 44.17 in a mix of city,rural & hiway.

Back