• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

moving the rally to the spring or fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
the 8% that chose to participate were heard.

If you have the rally during the school year you can kiss the parents and kids good bye and the major sponsor can be AARP.

Gail - It would appear that no matter how often or how clearly it is stated that the membership HAS spoken on this subject, that the membership HAS been polled on this (and other) subject(s) in a scientific fashion, and that there is a large number of very comprehensive requirements for site selection meaning that the Watkins Glen SP isn't adequate to handle 10,000 bikers, unless someone says that the MOA is moving the date, they'll keep asking the same question.

+1

:hungover

Gail - It would appear that no matter how often or how clearly it is stated that the membership HAS spoken on this subject, that the membership HAS been polled on this (and other) subject(s) in a scientific fashion, and that there is a large number of very comprehensive requirements for site selection meaning that the Watkins Glen SP isn't adequate to handle 10,000 bikers, unless someone says that the MOA is moving the date, they'll keep asking the same question.

i surrender, you have beaten me down and i now support a rally being held in July. bring on the heat, bring on the humidity and i will see everyone in MO next year.

now, aren't i good MOA member, i follow the rules and drink the kool aid like i'm suppose to.

signed,
George, the heat lovin trashman

the majority of the membership was not polled.

Then we cannot say the vast majority wants it can we?
All we can accurately say is the vast majority of those polled want it.

Hardly an accurate assessment.

I do agree w/ Gail as to the school year.
A Summer rally should be in the Summer and lesser local rides/rallies can be held at other times as they're doing now.
That Utah ride looks great!
Regardless.
Again I'll note that we'd open ourselves up to a larger offering of venues is we weren't nailed down to a specific date.
As an example, an awesome fairground in Colorado may not be available the third week of July but would be the last week of July.
Since it is a revolving location driven rally the date should be too.
If it were like an Americade style rally at a fixed locale than dates don't matter.
You have your venue when you want it.

Poll the membership with an accurate question.

Then we cannot say the vast majority wants it can we?
All we can accurately say is the vast majority of those polled want it.

dude, you seriously need to stay with art direction. :ha

using random samples, one can poll a smaller number than a majority and predict (with a *very high degree of confidence*) the opinion of the majority.

that is what can be accurately said.

ian

Put a membership pole on the renewal or rally applications that way you WILL get the majority of those attending the rallys opinion.
For me you can have the rally anytime you want. I don't let weather dictate weather I will make the rally,rather it's a work related or economic decision for me.If I can make it there I will be there ,or not. BUT there will always be COLD BEER THERE!!:thumb:wave:kiss

Put a membership pole on the renewal or rally applications that way you WILL get the majority of those attending the rallys opinion.
For me you can have the rally anytime you want. I don't let weather dictate weather I will make the rally,rather it's a work related or economic decision for me.If I can make it there I will be there ,or not. BUT there will always be COLD BEER THERE!!:thumb:wave:kiss

Its a nice thought but I'd be willing to bet that just like the percentage of folks who vote for elections you'd have the majority Not returning the questionnaire, there is a reason for the term "silent majority" and if they are happy with the way things are they are not likely to return any form, even if it was postmarked and therefore remain, well, silent. That is one more reason for polls being conducted they way they are.

In keeping with the book entitled "The Phantom Tollbooth" I suggest we elect a new chair person to act as the "Whether" man for all upcoming events :laugh

He could also act as the worlds tallest short person, the worlds shortest tall person, the worlds fattest thin person........

RM

It is my opinion that apathy to polling and elections is due to member contentment.
I am also of the opinion that many people pay their dues and get their magazine and are happy.
Do you vote for the board of directors for any other magazine? No.
Why do we have our heads up our 'stitches when it comes to this point?
The MOA has 2 major "products" the magazine and the rally.
We go to the mail box, get our magazine, it tells us where the rally is.
That is how MANY members see it.
Voting historically hovers around 10%...it always will.

Every year THIS thread gets started and everyone is in a lather for change. But we are the feisty minority who think the MOA is something other than a magazine.

Graf - like it or not that IS actually how scientific polls are conducted. When the federal government talks about the monthly "consumer confidence" number, do you think they poll 150 MILLION people + 1 to ensure they "polled a majority of the membership"??

When Zogby or Rasmussen say that the President has a 41% approval rating, do you think THEY contacted 96.8 MILLION + 1 people (half + 1 of the voting age folks in the US a/o 2008)

R.A. Fisher was working on statistical analysis for an awful long time and I'd prefer that the MOA use his ideas rather than reinventing the wheel....

Graf - like it or not that IS actually how scientific polls are conducted.

I know... I'm just giving Ian grief.
This is why there is an error margin of "X" amount percent...

Still doesn't mean we cannot poll our membership.
Unless of course it happens to be 96.8 million.

It is my opinion that apathy to polling and elections is due to member contentment.

unless you do statistically invalid polls, e.g. put a questionnaire on the membership renewal form, it's not possible to be apathetic to polling. the research firm that gets hired to do the polling gets responses from a valid random sample of the membership.

The MOA has 2 major "products" the magazine and the rally.

you missed our most important and unique product: our community.

Every year THIS thread gets started and everyone is in a lather for change. But we are the feisty minority who think the MOA is something other than a magazine.

and therefore are not an accurate reflection of the membership as a whole. just sayin'....

however, the problem you identify, being perceived as a magazine, is a serious issue... and has been since news groups, e-mail lists, and the web browser were invented. :)

ian

perhaps if the first aid tent was filled to capacity with dehydrated riders for the entire rally it might dawn on the executive committee that mid July might not be the best time to hold our national rally.

btw, where did you camp at the rally?

there were two first aid centers, and neither were overflowing.

there were people who did have to get taken to the hospital, and imo, the decision to distribute water for free was a true sign of the quality of the BMW MOA. this happened very quickly, thanks to experienced people managing our rally.

ian

i surrender, you have beaten me down and i now support a rally being held in July. bring on the heat, bring on the humidity and i will see everyone in MO next year.

now, aren't i good MOA member, i follow the rules and drink the kool aid like i'm suppose to.

signed,
George, the heat lovin trashman

I just knew you would see the light! There is hope for one and all:thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back