• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle Shipping

gailmiller

I just purchased a BMW in Florida. I need to have it shipped to me in California. Looking for recommendations for a shipping company.
Thanks
Gail Miller

Haulbikes.com

I used haulbikes dot com in June to ship from Houston to Oregon. Cost around $650 for that 2000 mile trip, I recall. It took a very long time--I calculated that they averaged 40 miles per DAY. Took about 2 months. I think they collect bikes in central locations and only ship when they get enough to make it economical. I had mine shipped from a Harley Dealer in Houston to "my" local BMW dealer in Portland, Oregon, so the pickup and drop off were effortless. They use a large van to pick up the bike, meaning that they don't necessarily like places that are difficult for trucks to maneuver in, such as certain residences.

It is much cheaper than riding (after figuring motels, gas, wear and tear, etc.) but I rode the bike back to Texas in October and thoroughly enjoyed the ride, which took me a week.

I just shipped a Vincent from Winnipeg to the Toronto area. I used Lost Highway Tour and Transport. I can highly recommend him. PM me if you want his contact info

Have a look at the bottom of this page for “similar threads” where this has been discussed since the beginning of time.

Whoever you choose, stick with a *motorcycle shipper* like Haul Bikes or Keyboard. Avoid UShip. With UShip Your bike will be in a truck with boxes of Yamaha pianos and keyboards, and the contents of someone’s apartment- beds, mattresses, furniture, lamps, etc. DAMHIK.

I just purchased a BMW in Florida. I need to have it shipped to me in California. Looking for recommendations for a shipping company.
Thanks
Gail Miller

Sounds like an invitation for a great adventure. I'd fly to Florida and ride it back myself.

If you live in California, why buy it in Florida? Did you get the best price there? Was it the best deal when you add in the cost of shipping?

E.

Sounds like an invitation for a great adventure. I'd fly to Florida and ride it back myself.

If you live in California, why buy it in Florida? Did you get the best price there? Was it the best deal when you add in the cost of shipping?

E.

As one who has made that trip intentionally it was a lot of fun filled with some great roads and scenery, some boring stretches and the full gamut of possible weather conditions you might encounter.

Feel free to hire me to do it again for you, though that would surely be more expensive!

I've shipped 2 bikes with Federal Motorcycle Transport over the past 2 years from NY to FL. Bikes arrived without any issues in less than 2 weeks.

I understand why some folks would ship BUT I've bought several bikes from across the country and have had some of my most interesting rides after doing a fly and ride.
Wait a few months and do that when the weather is great for riding the southern route.

I used haulbikes dot com in June to ship from Houston to Oregon. Cost around $650 for that 2000 mile trip, I recall. It took a very long time--I calculated that they averaged 40 miles per DAY. Took about 2 months. I think they collect bikes in central locations and only ship when they get enough to make it economical. I had mine shipped from a Harley Dealer in Houston to "my" local BMW dealer in Portland, Oregon, so the pickup and drop off were effortless. They use a large van to pick up the bike, meaning that they don't necessarily like places that are difficult for trucks to maneuver in, such as certain residences.

It is much cheaper than riding (after figuring motels, gas, wear and tear, etc.) but I rode the bike back to Texas in October and thoroughly enjoyed the ride, which took me a week.

Pretty much my experience to, it took a long time ( about two months) to get my bike from Milwaukee to Houston. No complaints about the service though.

Ski

Pretty much my experience to, it took a long time ( about two months) to get my bike from Milwaukee to Houston. No complaints about the service though.

Ski

Haulbikes took 6 weeks to get the GT from Phx to Boston when I shipped it to my brother. After 4 weeks [ estimated delivery was 3 weeks ] I called, where's the bike. It was sitting in the Nevada facility for 3+ weeks waiting to fill the truck going east.

Bike arrived with no issues. If you aren't in a hurry, or plan far enough in advance, they were the least expensive of the several transport companies I called. This was just over 4 years ago and cost was 400.00

Haulbikes took 6 weeks to get the GT from Phx to Boston when I shipped it to my brother. After 4 weeks [ estimated delivery was 3 weeks ] I called, where's the bike. It was sitting in the Nevada facility for 3+ weeks waiting to fill the truck going east.

Bike arrived with no issues. If you aren't in a hurry, or plan far enough in advance, they were the least expensive of the several transport companies I called. This was just over 4 years ago and cost was 400.00

Exactly my experience with Haul Bikes. Except there was a fuel surcharge which brought the price to $750. It still was the cheapest quote I received. I've used them twice. The last time, last year, transporting from New Mexico to New Jersey took just about two months. They first bring it to their westerm U.S. warehouse, where it sat for a couple weeks. Then it went to Pennsylvania and sat there. I called their office and complained that it was sitting 3 hours drive from me. The lady said they have delays due to "supply chain issues". I laughed at that and asked her what were they waiting for from China, a truck or a driver? She wasn't amused, but Miraculously, the bike arrived the next day.

Thanks for everyones input

I would love to ride the bike from Florida to California, but I think it is the wrong time of the year. Not in a big hurry, so I think I will use Haul Bikes. Used them in 2014 to ship a bike from Indiana to California. Took quite a while but I liked their service, and all of their drivers are motorcycle riders. Besides, I have 2 other bikes in my garage. See you all in Redmond for the Rally.
Thanks,
Gail Miller

I have a friend in Nova Scotia who owns 9 Vincents he started collecting long ago. Getting older and failing health he's been entertaining selling them. I want his K100 hack.

Back to shipping I used a national hauler, Day & Ross to ship my KTM 640 to Whitehorse and back with zero issues.

I second this recommendation!

I recently used Laurel Mountain Transport. Service was fast and he took great care of my bike. He's on Uship but you can avoid their high fees by contacting directly. Dave Weber 412-298-2327. weberracing3@gmail.com

After purchasing a 2018 R1200RT from a dealer in PA, Dave brought it to WI. It was protected better than I imagine fine artwork would be, he was fast, and kept me informed of his progress along the way. Absolutely reach out directly to him!

I have a friend in Nova Scotia who owns 9 Vincents he started collecting long ago. Getting older and failing health he's been entertaining selling them. I want his K100 hack.

Back to shipping I used a national hauler, Day & Ross to ship my KTM 640 to Whitehorse and back with zero issues.

He sold all of his spare parts a year or so ago…

Back