• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

SVRA Racing

This is what we were trying to avoid. The owner of this team owned Sportscar Vintage Racing Assoviation (SVRA) This was the class we normally raced in. But we weren’t in the mood for trading paint. :brow

Vintage Racing Mid-Ohio

DD19A708-BC2B-46D1-9FBD-49D6A74BB53B.jpeg
In the pits with Jimmy at the wheel and Leo finding out what’s going on. One thing Leo is finding out, Jimmy is burning up in the car,

Smoky Yunick

8F3F7BB8-1DAA-4501-B2E0-25CCDCB31FC6.jpeg
Smoky Yunick; with his famous pipe and hat. Was well known in both Indy style racing and early NASCAR. He paid Leo a compliment. Unbelievable that You could do this.

6FAF7153-2B8A-4376-AA33-0FB80BB892E2.jpeg
A little bit bigger pic. There was little Leo could do about the heat in the cock pit at the race. If U look closely at the hood; it is fastened to the body with dzus fasteners. ThLeo removed the fasteners across the back and put some type of material in the crack that pried it up and let some of the heat out. The heat under hood was starting to melt some of the components under the hood. We addressed the heat issue after return to home shop.

Louvers

In those practice sessions the body was always off the car. Taking the body off and putting the body on was a very involved Elaborate procedure. So we skipped it altogether. The heat build up at the race was almost unbearable for Jimmy. But like a good trooper he sucked it up and drove the car. Back home some time later I loaded the cars hood and belly pan and hauled them to a shop on the north side of Detroit and a specialty auto fabrication put something like a 100 louvers in both the hood and belly pan. Kinda solved that problem.

Torsion Bar Suspension

Another big time problem. The transporter we had was nice Ford crewcab dually pulling a big gooseneck car hauling trailer. The interstate from Memphis to Mid-Ohio Race was kinda rough. When we got to track we found out how rough. The torsion bar suspension had collapsed and the body was sitting on the wheels. We could barely roll the car out the trailer. We had a Austin Mini-Moke as a track get around vehicle. The car was featured at a car show across on the other side of the track. The Moke was not stout enough to pull it. We borrowed a truck an pulled/dragged it to the show. After the show, we pulled to our pit and the real work begin. Remove all that body work a real chore. Next Leo checked the suspension, we carried a lot of tools and equipment, if remember correctly We had to borrow some tools and Leo reset the suspension up and off the wheels. Then put the body back on the chassis. We was whipped, but Leo got it done. As usual Leo U were the Man. :thumb Racing, sometimes U were stylin And profilin and sometimes not so much.

The Streamliner was the featured car at this race weekend and hundreds of race fans came to our pit to see it up close and take pics. Leo was covered up in car people and their entourage. The overflow spilled over to me. All of a sudden I was someone interesting to talk to. Funny. I was glad to tell the Streamliner story. Obscure race car and history. Kinda neat to be a little part of it’s short race history.

I know this topic is a little off the usual, just thought the gear head guyS might like it. Really I just trying to showcase some of the work one of our fellow members has done in the past, Leo Goff. Leo has built so much stuff; it’s really unbelievable. So if your having trouble with your mid 50’s Indy Streamliner, 1949/50 Kurtis Sport Car, 1960/70’s Norton Dragbike, etc. give Leo a call or text; he might be able to help you. Oh by the way, he’s a top expert at BMW motorcycles, too. :thumb

‘53 Lincoln Panamericana Race Car Replica

Or you may be building an early Lincoln Panamericana race car and You may have a few questions on how to proceed. Leo built one 3 times. First time as a street driven show car. He built it a second time to compete in SVRA vintage racing and a third time to compete in the reenactment of the real Mexican road race. Serious racing.

‘53 Lincoln Capri

FFC87296-31DA-432D-8379-D042639D22C4.jpeg
B91D162A-E0D1-4E3A-8994-9BC2FF6AB280.jpeg
4BB9E32C-82CC-43D3-9FC5-23A28AB6E87A.jpeg
Leo built a cool one off street replica. Great for your local drive in and car show. The car ran the original 317.5 ci engine and Leo built it to spec. The real versions of this car dominated the Mexican Road Race in the early and mid 50’s. Again Leo’s work on the resto of this car was top shelf.

If your having trouble with your ‘53 Lincoln Mexican road race replica, you know the drill; call Leo. Just kidding.

This was just the first rendition. A few years later Leo lead a small team of gear head techs and really hopped this big puppy up to some serious performance to compete in a real Mexican road race. It won it’s class. One of my favorite cars of the collection. Drive it to the the local Drive In then race it 1000 miles across Mexico, win the race, then drive it to Sonic for a milkshake. My kind of car. Want some Fries with your Shake. :burnout

Group Photo

A group of us rode to Washington DC back around ‘90/‘91. For several years we got together to commemorate the ride. This year Leo had completed the Lincoln project and invited Jimmy to drive the car over, kind of a coming out celebration. One participant was our late good friend Art Grisanti. I ran across some pics of him helping Leo on the restoration. Wanted to recognize 7631394B-89CF-45F5-A46D-5965BAFCF901.jpeg
13F54D6C-E987-491B-97D7-9CDDF6A244FD.jpeg

Art had a way of making himself useful; kind of an all round handyman. Art had just graduated from high school when WWII broke out for America at Pearl Harbor. A week later Art was in the US Navy. Served 4 years in the Pacific theatre. He was a submariner and fought in many campaigns against the Japanese Navy, Air Force, Army. His family owned many restaurants around Memphis and one had a special WWII room. All the local service men contributed much of their service memorabilia to that room display. Art told me he had his display there. It was a lot of stuff. Lots of medals and commendations. Here’s to You, Art; thanks for your service. You are an American hero.

Art-R100RS-Me

Art rode a variety motorcycles. One of his favorites was A 1977 BMW R100RS he bought new from the local BMW dealer. At the end of his riding career he sold the bike to my boss. Here’s a pic of Art and I disassembling the bike for a fairly extensive service.
AB5EDCA9-79F6-49C5-83F6-C99D93AFADC7.jpeg

Back