• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

The name of the bike is on the front of of the bike on lower triple tree.
82115ECC-2A0D-47BF-8D5A-DE5B8F090978.jpeg
I just thought it was a pretty nice looking bike.

Quite the handsome piece of work!

Bet it spends most of its time on the American road secured inside a trailer... :laugh

Just my 2 cents; Ciao! HSV-Phil

Shake Rag Tennessee

Just local guys riding to the Rag on the weekend. Shake Rag is the local ride to bar and grill about 15/20 miles north of Memphis. It’s been a favorite of mine for over 30 years. Seems every where has their own version. Kinda like Jay Leo riding to the Rock Store out in LA. So if your stuck in Memphis, Tn, and need a place to ride to and see some bikes; Shake Rag is it. I hang out there a lot and like Jay; I’m always ready to sign autographs to my many, uh make that few/no fans. :brow Just teasin Jay.:bow

Shake Rag III

8902 Rankin Branch
Millington, Tn. 38053
901 876 5255
Population 44 1/2

The corner of West Union and Rankin Branch
Sunday afternoon is a popular time for both motorcyclist and bikers. :)

Motorcyclist November 1993

Really enjoyed Jimvonbaden’s article on bringing a R1100RS back to life from it’s deep sleep. He did a hellof a job. Hard to believe that the Oilhead RS came to America in ‘93. I believe it was released in’92 in Europe. Motorcyclist I know followed it’s development. One of the first rider comparisons was in Nov. ‘93. Boxer Rebellion R1100RS & R100RS

784D7AF4-19F9-4993-8CC1-6C7CCEF17F2A.jpeg

Head on view of the RS’s. The R100 fairing was famous for being wind tunnel tested back in the 70’s. The 1100RS is more minimalist. The windshield is small and adjustable. I have a ‘94 RS. I’m tall so about 6 month into ownership I added a large windshield. Big mistake on my part. It overpowered the the small headlight bucket assembly. I reattached the original shield and adjusted it all the way back and that worked. It was just a learning curve. The addition of GS hand guards made the bike a nice touring package.

91984D60-56F4-4BB3-8BD0-665AC4AA6C78.jpeg

A buddy of mine rode just like this. It never ceased to amaze me what else he could get on that bike. His bungees and tie straps would break under the load. He would lose stuff, but it wasn’t his fault. Looking back, it was so funny.

Sitting around the campfire, he’d complain about no fuel economy, no tire life, rough suspension, etc.. Dude, let me see your notebook on history of bike maintenance. What are U talking about? We did all that work on your bike about a year ago. I said keep a record of service and maintenance. You know a history of oil and tire changes with dates and OD readings. I ain’t got one. Shcech , some people U just can’t help. My last ride with him was a day ride, maybe 100 miles max. We took off, he pulled over a couple of times and checked something on his bike. Finally when he pulled over for the whatever time, I got off to see what was going on. He was looking at his rear tire. It probably had 3 layers of tire cross hatching showing and the rest of the tire was slick and no thread. Dude, U left the house knowing this. He starting going off about it was a worthless tire. I told him adios, heading home. No the rider/operator was worthless. Never rode with him again. Basically learned to be a solo act.

R100rs

Been hiliten the 100RS in recent posts. The first RS in ‘77 in post #4097, maybe the best RS of all time. Did a little follow up on the end of the 100RS in the Boxer Rebellion article. Ran across another RS article in The July ‘88 Cycle mag. The resurrection of the RS. BMW was telling it’s fans the K-bike was the future of the brand and airheads were passe’. Not quite. The BMW cognoscenti clamored for R100’s. BMW consented so the return of the R100, now detuned and Much updated with some features from the R80. Basically the were R80’s with 1000cc displacement. Kind of a mixed bag, but the airhead guys took what they could get.

1988 r100rs

9E9B3307-C9AB-40C1-8046-CB6689AB9852.jpeg
Beautiful bike and it had quite a few upgrades. A lot came from the K bike line. Mono lever, k bike style wheels, mono lever. If I remember correctly it was faster than the old twin shock RS up to 100mph, then the old RS ran off and left it behind. Pretty good as was. The small valves, 32mm Bings, low compression we’re so so. Get the credit card out, add some big valve heads, 40mm Bings, more compression, dual plugs, etc.. I know I’m an old hot rodder. :thumb ps I like the pearl white paint and the blue accents. Blacked out wheels and valve covers look good.

Back in the mid-eighties I was pretty much a motorcyclist neophyte motorcyclist. Was riding a really nice R50/5, even back then there were scooters that could outrun me. But I was in the wind and even though I could look down at the sidewalk commandos, but that was about it. I was dropping by all the motorcycle and biker shops, looking, snooping, checking out all thing on motorized 2 wheelers. I was on a learning curve, finding my way in the motorcycle world.

I was up at the local BMW shop, checking out the latest greatest. Brand new K100's, K75's, R65's, R80's. RT's, RS's, S's. My little R50 looked antiquated. There was a '87 K100RS in motorsport color scheme, WOW. 90HP Whoa. Intragal cases, heated grips, swoopy fairings, disc brakes etc. . :thumb

Pics of Bikes I Like

[/sub]C9962E4B-4F16-4DCC-8D38-FC66C6457EA1.jpeg

R100GSPD
If I had this bike, it would be a street bike. But I appreciate those who could ride it as designed.

Back