• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Michelin Road 5 tires

Thanks for posting! I would have hoped that Michelin could have provided a video that gave me more information throughout rather than for one specific area of performance in the last 10 seconds. :dunno

Needs a tread wear indicator that reads at the center of the tire. A simple dimple would work. Why is that so hard these days?

Needs a tread wear indicator that reads at the center of the tire. A simple dimple would work. Why is that so hard these days?

That's true, small dimples at the center would work.
Some of the slicks on my bicycle tires had small dimples for wear indicator.
The slicks on my newest road bicycle do not have any dimples and it's a guessing game on how much rubber is left.

Looks like the dimples toward center every other set are close enough for horseshoes for center wear.
I wonder these days if the Iphone need to update for our enjoyment has crossed over to tires. I have used every variation of the PR's since 2006 and was happy with all of them...so what do I know:dunno I still have a set of 2's on a 1100 :whistle

product-page-road5.jpg

The 4's had a better visual, though the lines disappeared quickly in use for us

product-page-pilotroad4gt.png

Looks like the dimples toward center every other set are close enough for horseshoes for center wear.

They look close enough, but hard to say.
Here's a picture of Road Attack 2s and it looks like the thread grooves and wear indicators are close to the center like the PR5.
This is the rear tire Debbie ran down to cord but was not down to the center most wear indicators.
Leaving the midwest and returning even on two lane roads uses the very center of a tire.

continental_tire_tire_ra2_evo.jpg

They look close enough, but hard to say.....[/img]
We've seen some really good (smart) riders get caught out with cords when the tire looked good that morning. Lack of a center (true center) indicator is just stupid, but now every tire company does it. :scratch

I got into the cords at Mexican Hat. Tires good in the AM but wen I stopped for the day there were the cords. I had to limp to Phoenix to get a replacement. However I knew I was going to need a tire. I wish I had done it in Grand Junction. It worked out okay. Just a very nervous ride to Phoenix.

Probly a little more than the currant 4's. Have you noticed the slow creep of tyre prices?? Used to by a good set
for just at $300 now $350 seems normal. Most tyre companies have rebates in the spring.
AND to confuse us more Bridgestone is coming out with a T31 !!
All the new tyres gush about wet performance but does this come at a price for longer wear??
Not long ago in F1 there was always the problem of running "rain tyres" for wet but on a long track that
could have a dry side the rain tyres would wear faster requiring a tyre change and possible position loss.
I wonder if the teams have the same type of questions we have about tyres.:scratch
I like Metzler 01's today but tomorrow who knows. I get about 5,000 miles out of all of them.

Looking at the possible sizes, I see that there will be a 150/70/17. I'm turning my 700 GS into a strictly on-road bike which uses 140/80/17. I wonder if the 150 will fit instead of the 140. I've used the these tires in the past on my K1200 and really liked the range they provided, so would like to go back instead of using the Michelin Anakee tire which is on the loud side once they start to wear in around 4 to 6000 miles.

I am also thinking of switching from my OEM Anakee III's to a road-only tire. I'm not sure I can wait until June for Road 5 Trail tires for my 2015 R1200GS. Maybe I'll wind up with Pilot Road 4 Trails...

Harry

I am also thinking of switching from my OEM Anakee III's to a road-only tire. I'm not sure I can wait until June for Road 5 Trail tires for my 2015 R1200GS. Maybe I'll wind up with Pilot Road 4 Trails...

Harry

Having run both the PR4 Trail and the standard PR4 Touring on the rear of my R12GS, I found the standard (non-Trail) version to get better mileage. Same tire in a different compound. No such choice is available for the front.

I believe I will try the Pirelli Angel GT's next instead of the Road 5 when my current PR4's are done.

Harry

Buddy of mine is very happy with Dunlop Trailsmart 2. Excellent on the road, fine on hard pack dirt. He's running a KTM 1190 Adventure R.

Non Trail Version on R1150GSA

Having run both the PR4 Trail and the standard PR4 Touring on the rear of my R12GS, I found the standard (non-Trail) version to get better mileage. Same tire in a different compound. No such choice is available for the front.

I believe I will try the Pirelli Angel GT's next instead of the Road 5 when my current PR4's are done.
I've used 7 sets of PR4 on my 2 R1150 GSA bikes over the past 3 years and the 3 sets of non trail rear tires have averaged about 1500 miles more than the trail version. All miles have been paved roads.

Road 5 for RT

I"m needing new tires for my 2016 R1200rtw and was considering the PR4 GT but seen the Road 5 were available. Will the Road 5 work for my bike or do I need a GT version? I do ride loaded up with my wife sometimes. Is there a GT version of the 5 available? Thanks for advice. Cody

Is there a GT version of the 5 available?

Looks like it will be 2019 before a GT version is available.
This is from Michelin.

MICHELIN Road 5 Standard versus the GT version

The above sizes of MICHELIN Road 5 tires are designed for naked bikes and roadsters such as the Triumph Street Triple and the Suzuki SV650.
Heavier grand touring bikes such as the BMW R 1200 RT or the Kawasaki 1400 GTR require the GT version of MICHELIN Road 5, which will become available in 2019. Until then please choose MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT tires.

Looks like it will be 2019 before a GT version is available. Until then please choose a local Dunlop tire dealer.

Made a slight but sarcastic change to your post.:D

Very disappointing news as I was about to order a set of the Ŕoad 5.

Back