• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Michelin Pilot Road 5 GT for the K1600

PhilStearns

Guys:

Did a quick search - didn't find a thread. Perhaps I need thread searching skills.........

Anyone have any news on when the Michelin PR5GT tires will be available?

FWIW...........a response from Michelin this morning.

Thank you for the tire sizes. I was able to locate part numbers for the tires. However, the tires are still in the Inventory Building Phase and we do not have a release date at this time. I apologize for any inconvenience.

You are welcome to check back for more information at a later time.
Pilot Road 5 GT Part numbers:

Front 120/70 ZR 17: 81056
Rear 190/55 ZR 17: 79407

Once a date is released, it will be announced on our Corporate website, you can check for announcements at: https://www.michelin.com/en/press-releases/

Although I didn't like them, the Pilot Road IV's seem to be the tire of choice for the big K's.

Joe

I'll be ready for tires in July or so. I had the PR3 and 4 on various bikes. Quiet and great in the rain. I am new to the big K bikes so i am not 100% sure which way to go, but I've had good success with the Michelin. I have noticed the rear getting eaten up a little faster than previous bikes. That said, lots of power, weight, and perhaps a bit much on my throttle..........

I thought the PR 4's were squirrely. Life was OK but nothing to write home about. Might just be riding style.
Last three sets I bought were Metzeler RoadTec 01 HWM's.
I like them better all around.

Joe

PR4’s are good sport touring tyres. I put Road 5’s on the RT back during the rally; hated em but they were not GT’s. Dunlop Road Smart III’s we’re very nice, now I’m back to PR4’s.

At the Chicago Motorcycle Show this past weekend I asked the Michelin Rep about the Road V GT tires. He told me they were looking at December of 2019 for the release of the Road V GTs. I came away thinking that was more of a goal than a firm date.

Tires

Finally wore out the Dunlop BattleAx @ 8400 miles on my K1600B and put on PR4 GT's. I have had the PR4's on my previous S1000XR, and two GS1200w bikes. I really like them, with only about 200 miles on them, they already flick into corners much better.

Back