• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Loosing my grip!

L

lonelobo

Ok, I have these absurdly ugly old handgrips on my rattrap R100T and I ordered nice new rubber grips only to find I can't seem to get the foam grips to release their hold. Any clues for an old Harley rider who just pulls harder and gets a bigger hammer. I'm trying to become more refined and use nicer hammers. Any help is appreciated.
renegade_134.jpg

PS> I've never had grip problems before....really!

Loosen your grip!

If you're not planning to save the old grips, a single edge razor blade is the easy way out.

If you're trying to save them, work a thin screwdriver blade under the end and spray some carb cleaner along the screwdriver blade. If they still won't come off, blow a little compressed air along the blade while wiggling the grip.

while your at it
pull that crusty cover off, clean and paint to match the lower, and while your in there greese the throttle cable cam system

also, I cant see my bike from here, but I dont remeber that black fusty ring on stock grips, maybe that needs to come off too

if so, and you have the top and cam gear out, the handle just slides out easily, and you can work on it off the bike

Somebody invested in a nice new kill switch assembly for you.

Don't ask me how I know, but...

I did the same thing on my R100T, slit the old ones off. Cleaned the tube with "Goo Gone" adhesive remover.

I bought the fat Grand Tourismo grips ($12.00 at Bob's BMW) and use hairspray to lube up the tubes, then pushed them right on. Most of the hairspray evaporates and leaves enough 'stick' to keep 'em tight.

A word of caution: while I was twisting the left grip on, my gorilla buddy was doing the same to the throttle side..Man did he twist hard...so hard that my next ride, up my driveway and then went to give her gas...and the throttle spun. He'd stripped the gear end of the throttle tube (looks like pot metal or low grade aluminum). That meant a new throttle tube...and yes a new set of grips (sold only in sets and the first one had sealed to the tube). One thing led to another and BMW changed the design of the throttle tube, which meant a new top piece (the part that needs to be painted on yours).

Anyway, put the throttle tube on while the throttle tube is OFF the bike. Just my 2 cents.

Hey, I PAID for that!

Hey Sumran,
The investment was my own from motorbin. Found it cheaper later as usual on this side of the pond.

Paint or powder

Anyone have experience painting the switch backs? Paint or powder?

If you are looking for a match, I believe BMW used paint. Unless you have a powder coating person that really likes you, getting small lots done is cost prohibitive. I have a group of parts I am trying to get powder coated, but time and money haven't been on the dance floor together yet.:violin

Hey Sumran,
The investment was my own from motorbin. Found it cheaper later as usual on this side of the pond.

Hey Lonelobo, I've got my old switch top which is in very good shape. When I replaced my throttle tube, I had to replace the sitch top because they changed the gear mechanism and integrated the race in the switch top.

Anyway, I won't be using it. If interested, PM me and I'll send a pic. No painting necessary.

'86 r80 rt throttle tube

how difficult is it to replace the throttle tube on my '86 r80rt? i have the new tube and a new set of grips, but am a little concerned i my screw things up -

U can do it. Since U have a new tube, may not be a bad idea to get a new throttle gear chain. Works with the gear on the throttle tube. They generally wear out together as a unit. They should be marked for proper alignment on assembly . Liberally gease them for long life. There is a rubber sleeve on the other end of the throttle assembly that U will have off any way. Most are cracked and dry rotted replace it while your at it. Really finish's off the job and makes the throttle grip look better. :thumb

Back