• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Loose threaded brass insert in gas tank

sonnystile

I was removing the body work to add a few farkles and this one that I’m “pointing” at just spins and spins.

Any tips for removal?

2017 R1200GS

abe86b4bb706c0ccae2c7fd2fd44c590.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's quite the pointer finger.
I would try to insert a small flat head screwdriver (or maybe a feeler gunge) behind the head of the screw and apply some pressure while turning the screw.

Body shop panel removal tool, looks like a thin, slightly curved wedge with a deep v-shaped notch in the middle. Available at most FLAPS. You can insert it under the panel tab and put upward pressure on the panel or downward pressure on the insert while turning the screw.

Best,
DG

Great options. However...

I gave both of those real honest effort already. The leverage was useless as I could not press down with any force against the tiny exposed lip of brass, only the plastic.

I’ve cut a slit in the body work hole to get it out of the way and have PB Blaster soaking in it for now, but I fear it’s a lost cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the insert is already turning in it’s hole I expect you’re wasting your time and contaminating the field with the penetrating oil. With the bodywork out of the way you might try upward leverage on the screw head while spinning it counter-clockwise with a screwdriver bit in a drill, which will most likely result in the insert wearing its way out of the hole. Once the insert has been removed and a new one sourced, the new one can have its threaded hole plugged then be epoxied into the thoroughly cleaned hole. The tough part might be finding a new metric insert.

I always use a touch of anti-seize on those bodywork screws.

Good luck,
DG

I had one of those brass inserts spin in a panel under the seat.
The shop was able to fix it. Before they tried, they told me warranty would replace the panel if their repair did not work.

Not the easiest of options but drilling the screw head off may make removing the screw a simpler task
With the insert, a dab of JB weld, should permanently hold it

Jim

Back