• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for Local Riding Companions

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I've been debating on whether or not I wanted to post this, but hey. Here it goes.

I'm looking for some riding companions. I've looked into the closest BMW MOA chapters, but they don't have events close enough for me to attend. And, one requires a candidate for membership to attend two events within six months before membership is granted. I've thought about calling people in the MOA Anonymous Book, but I'm not sure that's the intent of the book for locals to connect. However, I could be thinking too much. Any suggestions on how and where to look for local riding companions. FWIW, I'm in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area.

I'll be in Santa Rosa next Wednesday evening in preparation for a ride up to Oroville and Hwy 70 to Quincy.

Probably not helpful. :D

I find them gassing up, grabbing some hydration, just chatting, sitting at the local breakfast places and because I spend so much time driving a box for work, I see a bike in the parking lot and use that as my opener to introduce myself.

I am not so Bikes Made Weird, Bring More Wallet that I'm brand colour blind.

I'll be in Santa Rosa next Wednesday evening in preparation for a ride up to Oroville and Hwy 70 to Quincy.

Probably not helpful. :D

That’s a great ride. I rode up that way about six weeks ago. You’ll enjoy that ride. There were some big fires up that way in the mountains, so don’t be surprised to see burnt trees.

Unfortunately, Santa Rosa is about 1.5 hours away, and I’m busy on Wednesday. Have a great ride.

I imagine you'll find lots of people to ride with.
I think the shop in Livermore has some shop rides you could connect with.
You're in a heavenly place to ride a bike. I used to think CA wasn't worth the cost, but I'm angling to get back in to the Santa Cruz mountains myself.

I'll be doing a camping excursion in Lee Vining (other side of Rte 120/Tioga pass in Eastern CA) the week of 9/17 if you're interested (I'm riding up from Vegas)
Nothing much planned other than riding a bunch of the mountain passes.

I think the shop in Livermore has some shop rides you could connect with.

CalMoto in Livermore is the shop I take my bike to. They started off as a second location for CalMoto in Mountain View; however, they closed the Mountain View location. While CalMoto has monthly rides, I've signed up several times (including having the parts manager add me) to get notifications on the rides. However, I've never received any notifications and their rides are not always posted on their website. It's a bummer because I would like to go on some.

My 2 cents is that’s a Very Crowded & busy area in your Zip-Code; like where we once lived in the DC area...

If U do Facebook, see if there are any "Vintage Bikers" in your area.
We resettled to the Tenn River valley 4 years ago; we randomly met VINTAGE bikers at a local brewery on a Tuesday eve.
We’re not on FB, but they are: >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorthAlabamaVintageMotorcycleClub/ <<

Just one datapoint for U to consider.

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —--&-— USAF-Ret’d

'09 650GS-twin —- '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS —-—— '75 R90S
’08 CRF230L —--— ’09 KLX250S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

I am in the same boat. Four years of BMW ownership and I still ride with a bunch of Harley riders as I can't find any organized group in the area. There is a MOA group about 80 miles away but thier Facebook activity is pretty thin.
There are a couple GS riders, but they want to run some of the less developed paths.

That is the problem with a manufacturer that sells 20,000 bikes a years versone that sells 150,000 per year. Many areas there just isn't enough riders.

I have no friends, 99% of my riding is solo.

You are freaking Newfie. We canna unnsetand whoze the buy? Is it puppers or is't the pupper's beer. Newfie puppers always gots the can so make friends with the puppers or say some Gaelic rhyme that is essentially my sails be tall and poles be big.

Then if you gotta a Newfie smarts, twas their daily prayer.

Good lord almighty my buy forever, yooze make us kiss this damn ugly, smelly lips of da cod!!

Bejuses, them cannonball holes from signal hill be damn near bigger than prairie balls.

Lord o'tundering, never made it down signal hill sober, damn back yard friendly folks yew see.

Oh, damn the Loyal Newfoundland Constabulary! They picks you up at the end of George street and puts in you the cab that you inherited when landing and he's a gud ole then, the gud ole boy gets you prime for another liver killer day!

The Newfe's the Breton-er,s , Scotians but my fave, Les Illes De Madaegline.

Pretty funny but you need to work on you Newfanese a bit to get it right.

Be careful using the term “Newfie” as many are very offended by it. As the story goes an American General back in the day made the reference: “Newfies and nig#$@s they’re all the same.” It tends to leave a bad taste for anyone who knows the reference.

I just remembered there is a South Bay Riders Group which is pretty active. You can find them online. Very nice group of folks.

Pretty funny but you need to work on you Newfanese a bit to get it right.

Be careful using the term “Newfie” as many are very offended by it. As the story goes an American General back in the day made the reference: “Newfies and nig#$@s they’re all the same.” It tends to leave a bad taste for anyone who knows the reference.

A sage piece of advice. I never knew that but I tell ya my friend, any Newfoundlander is welcome in my home!

Same same, you wanna stretch the goodwill of our indigenous, call them Killer Whales.

They be Orca, the carrier of the souls seeking redemption so they can re-join the sacred.

As to me, my heritage, first generation Scot.

Call me whatever floats your boat and if it doesn't' float mine, we will dance and the loser gotta ring the bell in the bar. "tis a law you know,eh?

Back