• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for a Trailer

lbrackr756

Little Egypt Airheads
I have a 1980 R100RT. Just went to the Falling Leaf Rally (great event) and saw lots of different trailers being pulled behind various scooters. Does anyone have an idea to share for a basic trailer and hitch mechanism to fit my RT? There seems to be lots of stuff out there but I'd like some specific guidance in looking for one.
Thanks for the input!
Little Egypt Airheads

I have a 1980 R100RT. Just went to the Falling Leaf Rally (great event) and saw lots of different trailers being pulled behind various scooters. Does anyone have an idea to share for a basic trailer and hitch mechanism to fit my RT? There seems to be lots of stuff out there but I'd like some specific guidance in looking for one.
Thanks for the input!
Little Egypt Airheads

Before you go out and spend 3-4 thousand on a trailer, ( yes some are very expensive ) You need to decide how much you will pull it, and how much weight your bike will safely pull. My first trailer was a piggybacker for $ 595.00 new for the standard one and $ 795.00 for the XL. I pulled mine for about 8,000 miles, then sold it to a friend when I got a great deal on a cyclemate Zepher. the piggybacker is a great trailer for the money, and only weights 175 lbs empty. if you are interested go to Piggybacker.com. the hitch should not be a problem for your bike. hope this helps. Kenny...

I built one:)

Home built and towed it 25000 miles behind my KLT1200. Hitches are out there and have to be researched for your bike. I made an open, woody style sides trailer, with 12" wheels and dolled it all up with diamond plate front and fenders. All for probably 650-700$$$ plus my labor. It towed perfect:). You can do this and save tons of dollars, with a good sense of wrenching and building things! Mine sits still these days, as I bought another style of bike(GSA1200), which is not my tow bike the KLT was. Need a trailer? I have one, cheap:), in California. About 170 lbs.,FYI. Happy Trails, Randy

Home built and towed it 25000 miles behind my KLT1200. Hitches are out there and have to be researched for your bike. I made an open, woody style sides trailer, with 12" wheels and dolled it all up with diamond plate front and fenders. All for probably 650-700$$$ plus my labor. It towed perfect:). You can do this and save tons of dollars, with a good sense of wrenching and building things! Mine sits still these days, as I bought another style of bike(GSA1200), which is not my tow bike the KLT was. Need a trailer? I have one, cheap:), in California. About 170 lbs.,FYI. Happy Trails, Randy

Pictures please! You are to far away from Florida or I would be interested. But I would love to see it.

I built a small trailer from diamond plate aluminum with a torsion axle. I can build one for you. First decide what you will carry in it; measure it and add at least 20% to the total volume. Mine is 16 x 16 x 30; perfect for basic camping gear, but tight w cooking stuff. You can probably find a used Reynolds hitch at Re-Psycle. I will build the toungue to match your hitch height, so the trailer will be level. I put over-sized (6" x 3") LED red stop/tail lights and same size amber signals. Empty weight 130#, loaded just under 200 w 50# tonue weight. Axle and wheels comprise almost 2/3 of empty weight w 8" ground clearance, so it sticks to the road. Guys tell me it doesn't do anything when one wheel goes off the hard. I wouldn't know; I have to check my mirrors to be sure it's still there.

I'm not in the trailer building business, but so as not to use the forum for commerce, contact me via PM and I'll send pics and more info via email, if you're interested.

I HIGHLY recommend putting a swivel hitch on the trailer, whichever one you go with:
http://tinyurl.com/4wsrpy

They used to be $120 through Trailmaster (www.trailmasterinc.com) but I don't see it on their webpage, and everything goes up with time I suppose (but the market lately)...

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea where I could find a hitch? Any source that has hitches for BMW seems to believe only one model of bike was ever made: K1200LT. Thanks for any more help you can give me.
Lee

I HIGHLY recommend putting a swivel hitch on the trailer, whichever one you go with:
http://tinyurl.com/4wsrpy

They used to be $120 through Trailmaster (www.trailmasterinc.com) but I don't see it on their webpage, and everything goes up with time I suppose (but the market lately)...

I agree. My brother totaled a Wing on a big downhill sweeper in KY when a PU truck suddenly slowed to turn wo signaling. He had to swerve and went past the lean limit of the hitch and unloaded the rear wheel.

I am a member of the K1200Lt board and when I wanted a trailer I used guide lines from one of the members who used a harbor frieght cargo trailer as a base and a Sears car top carrier for the cargo hold. It all worked very well. If you go to
http://davedragon.rilysi.com/2007/11/motorcycle-trailer-project-rilysi.html#random and you can see what it takes to build one. I didn't find it diffucult and when traveling with the wife it came in handy when you wanted to camp and also on the same trip encountered differant types of weather. One thing to keep in mind, don't pull any thing heaver than you can stop. Also your fuel consumption will suffer. The fellow in the above address, Dave Dragon, lives in Florida I believe.

Good luck.

Don Mitchell
donmitt@sbcglobal.net

Back