• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Linked ABS when off?

KUTCHER

Just asking,

those that own the 1150/ 1200 GS...

If you have ABS, they are linked....? correct?

Even if you switch off the ABS, they are still linked...correct?

the only way to avoid that was to get a NON ABS version...Yes?

Just wondering if the new 800GS will follow suit?

Kutch

Just asking,

those that own the 1150/ 1200 GS...

If you have ABS, they are linked....? correct?

Even if you switch off the ABS, they are still linked...correct?

the only way to avoid that was to get a NON ABS version...Yes?

Just wondering if the new 800GS will follow suit?

Kutch

Neither of the F800S nor the F800ST have linked brakes, ABS or not. I imagine the F800GS will follow their suit!

Kutcher, you really have me scratching my head on this one. Hope Tweety1 is right!!!

On Wednesday 11/7 at Noon I met up with David Slepak the Owner of BMW Motorcycles of Scottsdale and placed my $500 deposit for a 2008 BMW F800GS.

The only option I said that was a must have is the ABS! Having ridden BMW continuously since March of 1969, BMW has really spoiled me with the ABS feature.

I am really hoping that Tweety1 is fully correct on this one; and Tweety1 would certainly know, he's a fellow AZ Beemers member and rides his yellow F800 a lot!

In October of 2004 I rented a 2005 BMW R1200GS and rode it around the Alps for a week. Of the 3,000 kilometers that I put on the machine, 500 were on dirt trails

My BMW bike at home then was my 1996 BMW R1100GS ABS and like the R1200GS ABS I'd rented you could switch off the ABS at will. However, having the brakes still linked on that 2005 when the ABS was off was the stupidest engineering blunder that BMW has ever made! I'd be going downhill on a bovine track in 1st gear, but still needing to scrub off more speed and the front brake would grab. You talk about a pucker factor! I scared myself and those Swiss cows!

POSTSCRIPT: David gave me a 21 page document that I have been reading and re-reading entitled "The new BMW F 800 G". It is also available for viewing and printing here on our BMWMOA first home page.

At the bottom of page 11 and the top of page 12 the ABS is covered in great detail; and on page 14 center it states "Special equipment: BMW Motorrad ABS (can be switched off)." If they were linked, they'd say so!

SIDENOTE: I am good friends with Al and Julie Jesse, owners of Jesse Luggage Systems. I love their gear and my R1100GS was fully outfitted with their equipment. I have offered them the use of my personal BMW F800GS to use as a template for setting up their production runs of panniers and boxes for this bike.

Last edited:
On Wednesday 11/7 at Noon I met up with David Slepak the Owner of BMW Motorcycles of Scottsdale and placed my $500 deposit for a 2008 BMW F800GS.

The only option I said that was a must have is the ABS! Having ridden BMW continuously since March of 1969, BMW has really spoiled me with the ABS feature.

I am really hoping that Tweety1 is fully correct on this one; and Tweety1 would certainly know, he's a fellow AZ Beemers member and rides his yellow F800 a lot!

In October of 2004 I rented a 2005 BMW R1200GS and rode it around the Alps for a week. Of the 3,000 kilometers that I put on the machine, 500 were on dirt trails

My BMW bike at home then was my 1996 BMW R1100GS ABS and like the R1200GS ABS I'd rented you could switch off the ABS at will. However, having the brakes still linked on that 2005 when the ABS was off was the stupidest engineering blunder that BMW has ever made! I'd be going downhill on a bovine track in 1st gear, but still needing to scrub off more speed and the front brake would grab. You talk about a pucker factor! I scared myself and those Swiss cows!

POSTSCRIPT: David gave me a 21 page document that I have been reading and re-reading entitled "The new BMW F 800 G". It is also available for viewing and printing here on our BMWMOA first home page.

At the bottom of page 11 and the top of page 12 the ABS is covered in great detail; and on page 14 center it states "Special equipment: BMW Motorrad ABS (can be switched off)." If they were linked, they'd say so!

SIDENOTE: I am good friends with Al and Julie Jesse, owners of Jesse Luggage Systems. I love their gear and my R1100GS was fully outfitted with their equipment. I have offered them the use of my personal BMW F800GS to use as a template for setting up their production runs of panniers and boxes for this bike.

Thanks for the kudos and the vote of confidence, BeemerDons. I started with Dave Slepak at BMW Motorcycles of Scottsdale in January 2007 trying to get my S, after the 11/06 Cycle World show and it wasn't until mid-March that it was available. Meanwhile, taking liberty under the fair use provision of the US Copyright Act, I quote from the MOA June 2006 ON just on point:

"A lightweight (approximately half the weight of previous systems) two-channel
ABS system comes standard, as do steel reinforced brake lines for consistent
operation. The wheel slip sensors automatically adjust to changes in clearance
from the sensor wheel. And according to BMW, the bikeÔÇÖs light weight eliminates
the need for power assist and integrated function. Thanks to a new high-speed
pressure modulator, the ABS function was barely noticeable when testing is a
gravel parking lot."

"Eliminates... integrated function" is operative, here; that's linked brakes. My S does not have linked brakes, the ST does not have linked brakes; I can only hope and predict the new GS won't have linked brakes.

Now, if I let you toodle on my S, can I toodle on the GS when you get yours? Congratulations on your purchase selection!

On any cycle of any brand with ABS, when the ABS is turned off, or has failed and turned itself off, the bike reverts back to the normal brakes as furnished on the bike. That applies with standard brakes, linked brakes, integrated brakes, any of the various cycle braking systems. It is not a funtion of whether or not the bike has a linked brake system. Also, a linked brake system is not required for a bike to have ABS.

Some bikes, like the GS, allow the rider to switch off the ABS system. So whatever standard braking system the bike has, that is still functional.

On my 94 R1100RSA (ABS equipped), if I pull the relay from the electrical panel that powers the ABS system, I then have no ABS. But then I do have a fully normal braking system, non-linked in my case.

I don't think this is entirely right:

""Eliminates... integrated function" is operative, here; that's linked brakes."

Sorry, integrated brakes and linked brakes are not one in the same description of non-standard braking systems. Integrated brakes controls the braking distribution front to rear to a preset percentage. It is usually an automatic percentage control of the rear brake with rider application of the front brake. The newer RTs and GTs feature this type of brake control. The rear brake can be rider controlled independently of the front brake.

Linked braking is just that, the front brakes are "linked" hydraulically to the rear brake, so applying one applies the other, more like a car where one brake pedal applies all the brakes. But some linked brake systems do have a partial application of the front brake if just the rear brake is applied. On linked brake systems the rear brake cannot be applied alone. The LTs are the only current BMW model with linked brakes.

I think the correct context of the "eliminates...integrated function" is because the F800 is such a light bike with excellant braking capability, when equipped with ABS, there is no braking performance gain in adding an integrated, linked or power brake system to the bike.

Back