• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

light steering

jimwjarmour

jimmy armour
Hi Guys, happy new year to us all hope 2022 will get us out of these bad times, wondering when i ride my old 2000 r1100rt i find the steeering very light when stopped will almost pivot round on uneaven ground mostly left i have really badly worn shoulders need replaceing is there a steering damper available or can the bearing tention be adjusted as you would with the airheads as always thank you in advance Jimmy

Hi Guys, happy new year to us all hope 2022 will get us out of these bad times, wondering when i ride my old 2000 r1100rt i find the steeering very light when stopped will almost pivot round on uneaven ground mostly left i have really badly worn shoulders need replaceing is there a steering damper available or can the bearing tention be adjusted as you would with the airheads as always thank you in advance Jimmy

What air pressure are you running in that front tire?? If higher than normal pressure it will do this. And if you have low pressure steering at a stop is harder.

Hi Paul boy that was fast have tried various tire pressures from cold 32 ,35 38 all much the same on the main stand it pivots so light but it nearly kills me to bring it back while sitting at a standstill if stopped on uneven ground if i keep a grip on the bars it stays put, thanks Jimmy

Hi Paul boy that was fast have tried various tire pressures from cold 32 ,35 38 all much the same on the main stand it pivots so light but it nearly kills me to bring it back while sitting at a standstill if stopped on uneven ground if i keep a grip on the bars it stays put, thanks Jimmy

Next question: Do you get any handlebar shake when slowing from 50 klicks or so?

I found that running Shinko ravens the steering was much lighter than with my preferred Michelins. Some tires feel changes a lot with pressure, others not so much. I am with you on the bad shoulders.

Rod

My 2000 R1100RT also feels like it has substantial understeer while driving, compared to other motorcycles I have driven. And it always has. I assume it is an intended design characteristic of sport touring bikes? Metzler Road Tech Z6 tire.

It's not "necessarily" a characteristic of sport-touring bikes (example, some Ducatis), but it is (IMHO) a characteristic of the "trailing arm" of the front suspension.
Tires will make a difference; don't run the pressure low or too high.
A quality shock up front won't much affect the steering as long as it's set up properly, but it will help to stabilize things overall. If you still have the factory original shock... it's dead by now.
And answer Dr. Paul G's question - do have any handlebar shake or shimmy? That would likely be neck bearings, or possibly wheel bearings.

From my experience shimmying when coming down from speed was too loose steering head bearings, they may need to be adjusted a bit tighter.

shake

Next question: Do you get any handlebar shake when slowing from 50 klicks or so?

none steering ball joints all fine just steering easily pivots if i have left hand off the bar, fixing gas cap or setting trip etc rotates nearly lost it one day hurt my shoulders pulling it back straight a life time as forklift tech and ,o im 73 years old may not be helping thanks Jimmy

Back