• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Let's go surfin' now........

kreinke

I learned surfing...asphalt surfing that is. Bandit's junk. Lost the front end on some sand near the apex of a left hand sweeper. Tree's shadows made it kind of hard to see. Every other curve on this road was clean. There was sand toward the outside that I saw but this stuff was right next to the center line. It was almost the same color as the pavement.

I was doing probably 30-40 next thing I know I'm on my left hip and arm watching the bike go over the shoulder toward a field-stone fence....and me not far behind.

I digress a little here but I remember back when The Miracle on the Hudson happened there was a couple on the plane that had pretty much made up their mind that they were going to die....and in the minutes or so before the landing had prepared themselves for that. Then they were talking about how basically writing themselves off only to be spared has given them a different outlook on life.

I can kind of relate to that. My life didn't flash before my eyes or anything I just thought "well this is it. Sandy and the kids are gong to be really pissed!" and resigned myself that this was the ending I always wanted.....only to survive, get up and dust myself off.....and limp away.

As my fat ass crested the horizon of the ditch the bike came in to view just as the center stand dug in and it stood perfectly upright then flopped ever so gently back on its other side.....right as I came to rest against it.

I shudder to think what I'd look like if I wasn't ATGATT.

My Aerostitch Combat boots probably saved me from getting a broken foot. The Olympia pants I bought at Nicks BMW only have some scuffing and about a 50 cent piece sized hole worn through the knee. My BMW sport riding gloves did their job too. The carbon fiber knuckle is about half worn through on the left. My helmet didn't even touch the ground. No scuffs at all. My BMW leather jacket is worn through to the padding on the left arm and elbow. I just have a bruised foot and calf.....and really bruised ego.

The wife is strongly advising me me not to get another bike. I had made my mind up that I was quitting in the hospital. The the kids started in on me "Daddy, can we go for one last ride when you get your bike fixed?"

At midnight I was already looking at the used 99 Interceptor at Vetesnics. Best to let my head clear and not make rash decisions right now but I'll probably be back on two wheels before the insurance check's ink is dry.

You won't consider returning to the fold? :german
Darn sorry to hear about your Bandit but you're OK and that's what's really important.

Glad to hear you're ok, Karl. Man, that invisible sand is the worst. Sorry about the Bandit and hope you're back on two feet and two wheels soon.

You won't consider returning to the fold? :german
Darn sorry to hear about your Bandit but you're OK and that's what's really important.

Actually I am. Right next to the Interceptor at Vetesniks there's a low miles 88 K100RS that looks really cool. I might bite on that.

I'm glad you were not hurt.

If you fall off the horse, get back on and ride.

One up side with this crappy economy, there are a lot of really neat used motorcycles for sale. I have seen Yamaha TDM 850s and a couple of Yamaha GTS 1000s posted on craigslist.

Good luck

Attachments

• mr_ed.jpg
    mr_ed.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 105
Glad you are OK. Sand scares the bejeebers out of me every spring. Hope to see you up and on 2 and 2 soon as well. You can tell your wife you had your crash so you're all set now. Everybody has to have 1, after that they are optional (I hope);)

Glad you're OK. That's the important part. Also, glad to hear you rode ATGATT, and it worked. Take some time off and heal first. Then decide whether or not you want to hop back on a bike. It's probably not a good idea to hop back on a bike if your mind's not in the right place.

You can tell your wife you had your crash so you're all set now. Everybody has to have 1, after that they are optional (I hope);)

Oldhway, you're going to get me in trouble. If started talking to my wife about everyone has to have one crash, she'd take the bike away from me. Or, at least try. Now, I've dropped a bike, but never crashed. I did, however, get a chip fracture on my left ankle bone keeping the bike from going down. Does that count?

Edit: I just noticed this is my "devilish" post. It's number 666.

I went kickin' tires this aft. I want very badly to get back out again. I now have this urge to follow every rider is see that isn't ATGATT and preach.

I best not.

I looked at a very well taken care of dealer maintained VFR today. The seating position is more compact that the Zuk was and the seat was very comfortable. The bike felt like it was made just for a guy my height and weight. Starting it up O hear that wonderful v-4 and my juices started to flow.

The Bandit (if for some reason it gets fixed) will not be mine any more. Not that it was a bad bike or anything it's just that I don't want to ride a reminder (I'm kind of superstitious that way).

Wow, that would be a little change from the Bandit, wouldn't it?
:bolt
Yeah it would. I'm going from a hooligan bike to an old man's "gentleman's express" which is fitting because I am 41 and basically an old man. I've always wanted V-4 be it V-max, Saber, or Interceptor....especially one with geared timing.

The one I looked at only has 20000 miles, barely broken in by Honda standards. They put new rubber on it too. It has been dealer maintained and is almost showroom new looking tupperware-wise.

I am 41 and basically an old man.

Oh please. You're just a punk. I've heard lots of good things about the VFR and if I did not already own an F800ST I might take a look.
It's not about age it's about your physical capabilities. You're a relatively young man.
You going to be a boy racer now?

Oh please. You're just a punk. I've heard lots of good things about the VFR and if I did not already own an F800ST I might take a look.
It's not about age it's about your physical capabilities. You're a relatively young man.
You going to be a boy racer now?
Nope. I just want that boy racer look. Going to peter along at 5 under the recommended limit.:bolt

On a VFR?!!! Pheh!
Give that horse it's head, man!
I like the exhaust notes from the V-4's, my F800 sounds more like a growl.

Glad you're doing well, Karl! I know the couple times I went down, I was more angry than anything, and couldn't wait to get back in the saddle again. But I also had to learn patience, as it takes time to heal. It does make the riding that much more appreciated.

Glad you survived intact. Kitty litter is something I have to be careful of. The snow finally melted off the roads/streets I commute on but the city isn't figuring on having the sand and crud cleaned up until mid-June. I just wish they would actually REMOVE the snow with the snow REMOVAL budget rather than dumping 10 times as much sand and salt as is needed on the roads.

Sorry to read about your incident...glad you came out physically and apparently mentally well... and hope your SO doesn't think you hit your head :laugh Sand does sneak up on ya, had a few slides at a much younger age and on way cheaper bikes and without any ATGATT other than a helmet. Good luck in your replacement pursuits.

The VFR is a hoot. I rented one and spent the day getting acquainted with it. When that VTEC kicks in it is like a 2-stroke getting on the pipe. Big fun. It is much more busy than my airhead, but not frenetic. At the end of the day the rental shop noted that I had exceeded my alloted mileage, and that I had gone a long way (200 + miles). The seat remained comfortable and I could have gone another 200 comfortably.

You didn't crash, you created a motorcycle buying opportunity. :dance

Seriously, glad you are in one piece.

VFR sounds like an interesting tidbit. :lurk

Back