• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lazy Horn?

easy

I took a ride today from Kerrville to Castell. The weather was great and the sun was actually out. When I got to Castell I found the bridge over the Llano River flooded. Not wanting to go to Llano on 152, I started to head back. I got about three miles down the road and found a cow and her calf standing in the road. This is Texas so don't ask why. A bull, probably the proud dad, was about ten feet off the road looking at me like I was an appetizer. I honked and the cow ran off the road. Honked again to get the calf off the road and he just stayed there. The bull looked amused. I honked again and nothing. The horn decided to stop working. Well I slowed my speed even more and the calf ran off to daddy bull. Thank goodness the bull kept his ground and just kept looking amused.

I tried the horn several more times and nothing. I though I had blown a fuse and decided to look at it later. Just outside Fredericksburg a bug the size of Lubbock hit me in the face. I had to pull over to get the rest of the carcass off my face. After starting the bike I tried the horn again and it worked.

What do you think, intermittent short?

Easy :german

Last edited:
??!!

Maybe it had one of the Lubbock-sized bugs stuck in it and it dropped out when you stopped :jester

unless a loose connection, hard to believe the '06 horn is shot. Did you get lucky and have the dual tone LOUD stock horn as I have on the 05? they changed to the wimpy one somewhere..some 06's have a loud horn, some don't.Maybe pull that tupperware off the Starboard side and check connections at horn?

I checked the connections and they are tight. I do, however, have the wimpy horn. I think maybe it's time for a more substantial horn.

Thanks,
Easy :german

Replace your wimpy horn with a Stebel Nautilus Compact. I put one on my bike and now cagers hear me!!

Last edited:
Check the wire that goes into the connector that slides onto the horn contact. BTDT

Fred

Not sure what bike you have the horn issue with but I've read posts that there was a firmware update to fix a horn problem on the R1200RTs (the horn stops working after you use it several times in a row and then works later on).

'06 horn issues

I was leading a bicycle race on my '06 r1200gs, using the horn to alert course marshalls that the pack was arriving. It just stopped. It started operating again after I shut the bike off and restarted. I assumed it was a Canbus issue. It hasn't happened since, but I haven't used the horn that much either.

Back