• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Laminar Lip on 2011 RT

klumbsh1

Laminar Lip on 2011 RT Initial Feedback

Well took the bike on its first 100 miles with the new "lip" today. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure, but I have to say its a huge win as far as I am concerned for the price. I am 6' with 32" inseam. The standard shield had to sit at a little over 3/4 full to get about the right amount of air that i wanted.

After riding with the Lip I now very comfortably sit with the shield between 1/4 - 1/3 mast, and it really flows the air right up and over the helmet and I have a BETTER view over the shield. Wind noise is also drastically reduced from the helmet perspective. With it on the idle vibration in the shield is definately more prevelent but disappears when underway. Its a great day out so no chance to test in wet weather conditions yet, however this is Michigan so I am sure that will occur any day now.

I have to admit when i got this it was a last ditch effort before shelling out some more coin for beefed up struts and an aftermarket shield. Now no need as far as I am concerned, just ride and enjoy.

Just thought I would share my first impression for those interested.

Shane

Last edited:
I have a lip on my 07 RT and I am similarly happy with it. It allows me to run with the windshield well below my line of of sight while having the wind and noise reduction of a fully raised windshield. A good product in my opinion.

Ditto;

Had my Lip for 2+ years with much happiness. GSA1200 here. I think they are SoCal located? At 85$ for my GSA model Lip, a great product that works swell. Randy:thumb

Like my Lip too

I've had the lip on my '96 R1100RT and my '07 RT. Yeah, it catches the bugs and gets a bit dirtier than I would like, but it does a great job of creating that quiet pocket the stock windshield won't. My passenger swears by it too.

Another +1

I'm a natural skeptic, particularly with windshield performance claims, and therefore could not believe that a Laminar Lip would make that much of a difference.

But, I purchased a used R100RT that had one on it, and left it on. A couple years ago just after I left the Finger Lakes Rally one side of the LL came loose, and I had to remove it. The next 250 miles home were absolutely miserable with helmet-slapping turbulance coming off the stock screen. That opened my mind to the possibility that there may be something to these things.

Fast forward to 2012: Having tired of the helmet buffeting from the '12 RT's stock windshield, but being unwilling to pony up for yet another after-market screen, I figured I'd give the LL another chance. Glad I did. It may not be particularly great to look at, but the reduction in buffeting on my ride into the office this morning was surprisingly good. Worth the price, IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks to all the "testers"!

I had a LL on my stock Vstrom screen which was mounted on a Madstad bracket. Both of these products worked as advertised. I have been contemplating one for my 2010 RT stock screen as I find it intolerable at anything over 35 mph, no matter how high or low it is.

My other option, depending on funds, is a CalSci windshield. I hear nothing but praise for their shields.

I have had the CalSci medium screen on my '07 R1200RT for 40k miles. No need for a lip!

laminar lip on 2011 RT

how does it do in the rain,with a open face helmet on the rain hits my face and hurts, I to have a 2011 RT,

how does it do in the rain,with a open face helmet on the rain hits my face and hurts, I to have a 2011 RT,
I haven't ridden the '12 RT in the rain, but on my R100RT, the LL was good at keeping rain off -- not totally dry, but most rain would be deflected with the windstream. Keep in mind I wear a full face helmet, so I may not be as aware of the effect of the LL as an open face user.

I'm a natural skeptic, particularly with windshield performance claims, and therefore could not believe that a Laminar Lip would make that much of a difference.

Fast forward to 2012: Having tired of the helmet buffeting from the '12 RT's stock windshield, but being unwilling to pony up for yet another after-market screen, I figured I'd give the LL another chance. Glad I did. It may not be particularly great to look at, but the reduction in buffeting on my ride into the office this morning was surprisingly good. Worth the price, IMO.

^^^ Likewise. I viewed the website, but could not find any info on how to assemble/attach the LL to the stock windscreen.

Any drilling involved? If not, is the LL secured to the OEM windshield? How?

Any issues with stress on the OEM windshield mounts? :ear

Tks a lot/Cheers,

B

BenDiem;828069I viewed the website said:
Six adhesive-backed velcro dots ~1/2" in diameter, three each side. All the LL's I've seen have been attached this way, and my experience is they work fine.

No drilling.

I do not anticipate any windshield arm issues, as the LL does not significantly add to the cross-sectional area facing the on-coming airstream.

On my K75RT installation is by industrial strength velcro dots or possibly strips on new lips. My LL came with the velcro bits. No drilling required. Position LL and press dots on windshield and LL together. You have to adjust carefully to get lip in right position before using dots, so plan ahead a bit. Get a friend to help position lip. May have to experiment.

^^^ Gents,

Many thanks. This will be my next farkle. Will order tomorrow morning...

Apprec the quick responses! :thumb

Just as an update its a year and half and 10K + or - later with zero issues, have yet to remove or adjust. It just hangs out and does its job. No issues with struts (although i must admit i have some aftermarkets on hand if that goes south). probably the best farkle i have so far, and well, i might have a few :bikes

Back