• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Keyless Fob

bobs_one

I'm having issues with the key fob on my new (to me) 2017 GSA. Most times, the bike doesn't seem to be able to "see" the Fob. I can be sitting on the bike with the key in my pocket and I get the red flashing dash light, indicating that the fob is not present, when I press the big button under the dash. If I press one of the two buttons on the Fob (what are they for?) the bike will then sense the Fob and everything works. A few times, the yellow "key out of range" light has come on while I've been riding. Apart from a small metal key (for aftermarket luggage) there is nothing else on the Fob or in my pocket when I'm using it.

I've changed the battery in the Fob twice, and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. Is there something else I can try?

My best guess would be to Have your dealer check/flash the firmware levels on the bike and re-pair the fob with the bike. They may be able to also test the EWS antennae as that becomes a suspect once firmware is up to date and the fob repaired.

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
I ran into the same issue with my 2020 Rt. yellow out of range warning came on several times, even though key was in my left pant pocket.
Bike is not even a year old. I changed the Fob battery to no avail. Moved the key to another pocket and no more issues.

I do agree with the idea that it is an antenna problem and not a battery etc. problem. The Fob appears to be very sensitive to distance from the antenna location. never had that problem on my previous K1600s

I ran into the same issue with my 2020 Rt. yellow out of range warning came on several times, even though key was in my left pant pocket.
Bike is not even a year old. I changed the Fob battery to no avail. Moved the key to another pocket and no more issues.

Worth a try.

Was it AKbeemer's wife that had problems with the intercom bothering the signal and changed pockets?

Worth a try.

Was it AKbeemer's wife that had problems with the intercom bothering the signal and changed pockets?

No, I had the problem, Annie solved it (as is often the case). In our case it turned out to be interference from our PackTalk communicators. Moved the fob to the opposite side from PackTalk and the problem went away.

Some riding suits have Earth Magnets, if the fob was close to one could it cause any interference between the fob and the antenna?

Are you carrying any electronics near the fob? I purchased a Warm & Safe Heated Liner with remote heat controller this winter. On the first ride with it, the "key out of range" message came up on the screen. I almost turned around to ride back to see if the fob had fallen out of my pocket onto the road. After I pulled over, I felt the fob in my jacket pocket and realized the remote controller was in the pocket behind that pocket. I moved the controller to a pocket on the other side of of my 'stich and had no more issues. The controller now lives zip tied onto the plastic by the windshield.
Sometimes it is just too many pockets!

Last edited:
It seems to happen whether it's in my jacket pocket, or in my pants pocket. If I stick my hand in my pocket and press one of the buttons on the FOB, then it seems to "wake up" and work - although maybe I'm imagining that. I'll try to be more scientific next time I get to ride.

The only electronics I was using was the NAV V. I didn't even have the SENA intercom turned on.

Sensitive to interference

Those things can be sensitive to interference from other electronic gizmos, say, for instance, a cell phone in the same pocket. My riding buddy had that problem, dealer told him to keep devices separate and has not had problem since.

The battery in my fob ran down and I was having a similar issue. The low fob battery indicator was also shown on the dash (R1200RT) when the fob was recognized.

I changed the battery with a new one that I had and got the same issue. I changed it with another that I had - same issue. I bought a new one at the store and changed it a 3rd time. Problem solved.

Are you sure that the new battery is actually good?

The battery in my fob ran down and I was having a similar issue. The low fob battery indicator was also shown on the dash (R1200RT) when the fob was recognized.

I changed the battery with a new one that I had and got the same issue. I changed it with another that I had - same issue. I bought a new one at the store and changed it a 3rd time. Problem solved.

Are you sure that the new battery is actually good?

Not sure. Bought a four pack of batteries and DID try two different ones. But, it's possible it was an old pack or something. I'll try to get another one from someplace and see what happens. When you changed the battery the first (or second) time, did the low battery warning still come on? Mine isn't on ...

Back