• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Key fob does nothing

jimbem

My 2015 RT sat for 3 weeks while were went to the rally and beyond on the GT. This AM I went to start it and when i pushed the ignition switch I got the blinking red light . The same light I would get if I had the wrong fob in my pocket. I assumed it was a dead battery in the fob and replaced it but to no avail, the red light is still blinking. The fob won't operate the alarm or saddle bag locks either. Prior to this trip the ignition switch would have to be pressed twice occasionally but the dash would always come on on the second try.Has anyone experienced these symptoms before? Could it be a worn out fob? and if so how do i find out for sure before I go spend big money on a new one ? Thanks ahead of time for your help. I was really looking forward to riding the RT

Is that fob near another ignition key or fob to a different vehicle?

From my owner's manual: An additional ignition key attached to the same ring as the
ignition key used to start the engine could "irritate" the electronics, in which case the enabling
signal for a start is not issued.

Did you pull the protective cover off the battery before installing? (Please don't ask how I know this happens). Is it possible the replacement battery is also bad?

Are you sure the new battery in the fob is good?

I'm asking because I had a situation where my bike was showing the "low fob" light on my bike, so I changed the battery. No change. I changed the battery again. No change. I changed it a 3rd time. Has been working great for months.

I think that some of these batteries sit on display at the store or in a junk drawer and they are no good when you get around to using them.

I couldn't get the bike to start. My wife says let me try.I humored her and let her. It started . A short time later i went to go riding and it wouldn't start. I looked in my owners manual to see where to put the plastic key but couldn't find the slot they say to put it in at. The battery package I'd bought came with 2 batteries.I would have bet that if one battery in the package was old and no good so would the other one. But since i was out of options I tried the second battery. Yep you figured right. The bike turns on instantly EVERY time. Could have saved some time and worry if I tried the second battery right away.

I couldn't get the bike to start. My wife says let me try.I humored her and let her. It started . A short time later i went to go riding and it wouldn't start. I looked in my owners manual to see where to put the plastic key but couldn't find the slot they say to put it in at. The battery package I'd bought came with 2 batteries.I would have bet that if one battery in the package was old and no good so would the other one. But since i was out of options I tried the second battery. Yep you figured right. The bike turns on instantly EVERY time. Could have saved some time and worry if I tried the second battery right away.

Jim I had similar issues, batteries were the cheapies from Amazon, switched to Panasonic and no more dead batts
Jim

At least this way you didn't have to wait to find out the first one was a dud...

Back