• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1600GT Front fender

gwin

I'm planing on 6000 mile plus trip this coming spring. Will be leaving the NE around May 1st to California and arriving back to Massachusetts the end of May. I have heard that clogging the radiator with road grime and or rocks can be a problem on the highway. Should I think about adding a front fender extension? Has anyone had any experiences with debris clogging the radiator?

I've made multiple trips from Cape Cod across country and back; I've never had a problem with road debris on the trips. The tire does kick up some grime and such, but a little careful washing with a pressure washer (ie not close enough to bend fins and such) seems to wash most of it out. The only overheating problem I have had was three-up in Rocky Mountain National park slowly following other cars uphill (about halfway up to the 'summit' of the long road). We stopped for a few minutes, got pictures, and went on our way with never a problem after. I imagine if you do a substantial amount of moist gravel you may want to put a extended fender on it, otherwise, just clean it once a year or so.

If you flush it every 20k miles (from front with garden hose) you'll have zero issues. I've also gone coast to coast multiple times between flushes and never an issue.

I'm planing on 6000 mile plus trip this coming spring. Will be leaving the NE around May 1st to California and arriving back to Massachusetts the end of May. I have heard that clogging the radiator with road grime and or rocks can be a problem on the highway. Should I think about adding a front fender extension? Has anyone had any experiences with debris clogging the radiator?

Oh, and welcomed to the forum! Might I suggest you also check out k1600forum.com You will find the largest community of K1600 riders there with many tips , suggestions, and comradery.

We have used Extenda Fendas on a couple of our bikes. The K75S to help protect the painted belly pan and the K1300S to help protect against the radiator clogging problem.
We ride in a lot of rain and so far no problems with the radiators clogging on our K1300Ss. When I return home from a trip I use the garden hose to rinse the radiators. We have 52,000 to 54,000 miles on them.

Here's what the Pyramid Extenda Fenda looks like on a K1300S.

I added extra 3M tape.
IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_00991.jpg

I bought our last Entenda Fendas from Pirate.
http://pirateslair.net/Extendafenda.htm

I've made multiple trips from Cape Cod across country and back; I've never had a problem with road debris on the trips. The tire does kick up some grime and such, but a little careful washing with a pressure washer (ie not close enough to bend fins and such) seems to wash most of it out.

Exactly what I looking for. I won't be driving on dirt roads however with the flooding happening now in the mid-west I might think twice about the mud.. I will be on alert for mud buildup and wash if necessary.
Thanks for everyone's response. - Gordon

The buildup causing overheating that was mentioned on the K1600 Forum was from the chip seal aka tar and not a buildup of dirt. Common practise is to have radiator cleaned when it is removed for the valve check service at 18K miles.

A fender extension is the first thing I put on my bike before I drive it out of the floor. How can you go wrong with that?

Back