• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1200S World Land Speed Record

knary said:
FWIW, The home page is by far the most common entry point to the site. We do basic tracking on the site and traffic, generally speaking, continues to increase.

I am only speaking for myself. I have the homepage bookmarked. I go there and immediately click on the Forum link. I almost never check the other stuff. So how does a hit counter reflect that?

BradfordBenn said:
Like I said, I can dream can't I?

I know the amount you and Vince are trying to do, so far, so good. It will all come in due time.

:thumb

Just imagine where we'll be in a not so many months as we roll out new features and lots of new material.

MarkF said:
I am only speaking for myself. I have the homepage bookmarked. I go there and immediately click on the Forum link. I almost never check the other stuff. So how does a hit counter reflect that?

It doesn't. What does reflect traffic patterns is hits to pages linked from the home page. Those numbers are just starting to come in. As you know, there's more new content on the site in the past few weeks than there's been in a long long time.

That's Fast

I can't imagine what it feels like to ride that fiast. What impresses me even more are those GP dudes hitting those speeds in a very (relative) confined space. Let's make it a "Kompressor" model and give it a try. Helm Warp 2 Please.

Dave H
Colorado Springs, Co

KBasa said:
Patience, grasshopper.

Like I said, I can dream can't I? I understand the "fun" of keeping a site running so I totally respect it. But I am on a huge RSS kick.... New and improved way to waste time.

Bigrider said:
I can't imagine what it feels like to ride that fiast. What impresses me even more are those GP dudes hitting those speeds in a very (relative) confined space. Let's make it a "Kompressor" model and give it a try. Helm Warp 2 Please.

Dave H
Colorado Springs, Co

Go for it. :p

I am surprised that the K12S took the record. Are the Kawie and Suzuki offerings not in this class? We know they make more power.

Sweeeeet!!!

SWEEEEET! Nice record to have, to say the least! :clap :clap Hopefully BMW will keep up with the new line of high performance bikes to beat up the rice burners a bit... :blah :laugh :laugh

riderR1150GSAdv said:
SWEEEEET! Nice record to have, to say the least! :clap :clap Hopefully BMW will keep up with the new line of high performance bikes to beat up the rice burners a bit... :blah :laugh :laugh
Maybe we can start getting some high performance after market products like the other marques too :dance

Dave H
Colorado Springs

K1200S Record

Not to belittle this great achievement, but would someone please put it in context.
According to an article in our local paper (several months ago); the Montana Highway Patrol stopped a guy on a cycle going in excess of 200 MPH. Yes, he did set a record for a speeding ticket in that state, even surpassing the previous record held by an automobile.
The question is: how do you get the land speed record for a bike when it is pretty well know that there are other production bikes that are capable of higher speeds? Does it just mean that the record goes to the fastest bike that can afford the run time at Bonneville? Is this only a Bonneville record?

61249 said:
Not to belittle this great achievement, but would someone please put it in context.
According to an article in our local paper (several months ago); the Montana Highway Patrol stopped a guy on a cycle going in excess of 200 MPH. Yes, he did set a record for a speeding ticket in that state, even surpassing the previous record held by an automobile.
The question is: how do you get the land speed record for a bike when it is pretty well know that there are other production bikes that are capable of higher speeds? Does it just mean that the record goes to the fastest bike that can afford the run time at Bonneville? Is this only a Bonneville record?

That's correct. Bonneville rules dictate that back to back runs be done in each direction and the two runs are averaged to provide the final speed, if I recall correctly.

The 205mph thing? On another forum I'm on, 205 indicates a hard to believe or told a whole bunch of times already story. :ha

KBasa said:
That's correct. Bonneville rules dictate that back to back runs be done in each direction and the two runs are averaged to provide the final speed, if I recall correctly.

The 205mph thing? On another forum I'm on, 205 indicates a hard to believe or told a whole bunch of times already story. :ha

I wondered and so I googled Bonneville records. The alphabet soup that makes up classes during Speed Week makes my spelling errors appear to make sense.

In the 1000 to 1350cc class a busa did average 181 and change but it was modified. More ÔÇÿbusas have competed in the above 1350 cc class at some astounding speeds.

The key to the BMW record is ÔÇô stock ÔÇô normally aspirated. To me that is what makes it an impressive record.

Holy &%#* an earlier thread in the clubhouse here:

This thread discusses the much discussed piece of motorcycle stupidity that took place in Minnesota not Montana. 205 Tilley as the rider is often referred to, has become an urban legend.

That's what I was wondering, too.

MarkF said:
Did it beat the 'busa and ZX-12 or did they never attempt?

I thought, that even in stock form, the 'Busa and the ZX12R would surpass the 173 mark, up to the 186 limit, even.

Braddog said:
I thought, that even in stock form, the 'Busa and the ZX12R would surpass the 173 mark, up to the 186 limit, even.

Guess the boys in Japan need to put up or shut up about their bike speeds, dont they?

Back